No replies to this topic

#1 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Campaign Multiplayer No A.I.

I'd love a campaign using existing game modes and art assets. I'd also love a campaign that uses other players as the enemy.

Drop us into games that would be played anyway -- for example, skirmish on alpine peaks. Each mission is a typical MWO mission vs real players. Context and story comes from briefings and inserted comms chatter (courtesy of community celebrities like Phil and THEB33F) Give the missions purpose.

Example:

Before the drop: An aerial map of Alpine Peaks with the base installation circled in red. Much like the mechwarrior 3 briefing screen.

We've received intel that there's a military installation on Antares III. It's an ice planet in the periphery with no known inhabitants. The installation has no detected defenses. We'll be dropping out of visual range and advancing on the base using the terrain as cover.

Your mission is to investigate the site and secure the base for our scientists.

Upon dropping you hear Phil "Sean Lang" from NGNG come on comms. He'll be the human element during the missions.

"The base is undefended, so this should be an easy op. Stick with your lance and--Wait! Eight! Nine! No, Twelve fusion reactors just came online! A full company incoming! Looks like we earn our pay today. Eliminate all enemy resistance."

Then proceed with a typical skirmish mission on Alpine Peaks. If you lose, retry mission. If you win:

Phil: "This better have been worth it."

Debriefing screen: Nice work out there. The base staff managed to destroy most of their research. Before one of the scientists died, we 'convinced' him to tell us what this place is. House Steiner is building something. Something they don't want prying eyes on. We managed to rip the coordinates of another research facility from the hard drives. It's on a hell-hole planet the pilots call Terra Therma. Saddle up, mechwarrior.

Then go to Terra Therma and do a conquest mission to secure intel before the enemy can destroy it. Intrigue and fun ensue over the next 11 or so missions as you go map to map.

Phil is with you on every mission. THEB33F needs a character appropriate to his THEB33Fness. Get Errodien and Jager in there.

In my imagination, a campaign like this is doable. 100% open to better story ideas. Yes, having a counter campaign where your first mission is defending the installation would be amazing.

TLDR: Do a campaign. Don't use any A.I. Run typical missions against human players. Using existing maps it would be a 13 mission campaign. Add a briefing/debriefing screen between missions and have some recorded audio to give it life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users