20 replies to this topic

#21 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

1) On matchmaking.. I think enough’s been said lol

2) Is this game Pay2Win?

-Redshift touched on this but IMHO it’s the most important thing to take away from a “free to play” discussion. Unfortunately, the default account only comes with 4 available mechbays (basically, garages for your robots). This means that at any one time, you can only own four mechs. You can unlock more mechbays with MC. Yes, MC only. Fortunately they are much cheaper than Hero mechs.

-So what’s the issue? One of the big draws of this game is playing all kinds of mechs in different weight classes, that fill different roles, etc. Being limited to four mechs at one time is tough if you want to do that.

-Due to how skill perks (efficiencies) work in this game, having only four mech bays may lead you to some hard decisions between what mechs you want to keep or sell, as well as potential selling and re-buying (which is extremely inefficient with your cbills). Please take a quick read here, you will quickly understand what I mean: http://mwomercs.com/...cies-explained.

-Keep in mind that there can be an drastic difference between a mech fresh out of the box and a mech with all efficiencies unlocked.

3) Is this community full of crybabies and douchebags?

-The text chat in-game is usually full of griefers. Sometimes there will be moments of cordiality and hilarity. A general rule is that someone on your team will probably get killed early, and then proceed to trash talk the team for the rest of the match. I would think most voice chat servers are a lot better. If you go to the public comstar channel on teamspeak, you can usually find a good amount of people hanging around there willing to group up with anyone. (more info: http://mwomercs.com/...mspeak-servers/). I know when I was first starting out a couple months ago, they answered a lot of my questions and didn’t get mad at me because I was piloting trial mechs. The forums seem like a mixed bag but here on the beginner section there are quite a few old heads who don’t have massive ego issues.

4) How is the grind?

-It’s quite slow. My advice is to consider every purchase you make wisely. If you are a non-hero mech non-premium time player like me, you should probably do some research before buying a new mech, a new engine, or even a new weapon. Consider if a particular weapon or engine would be useful on multiple mechs you own (or plan to own). That way you can swap back and forth without having to buy unnecessary stuff.

-The other issue is that most mechs are not very good in their stock state. You will probably spend over 2 million on each mech performing vital upgrades such as Double Heat Sinks (pretty much mandatory with very few exceptions) and Endo-Steel (also extremely common). And, you want a new engine for many mechs as well. In some cases, (basically, all light mechs), you’ll want an XL (extra light, extra expensive) engine, many of which cost more than a lot of mechs themselves.

5) Is there any crafting?

-Nope. You don’t find or create your own stuff. No real RPG-like elements, though some new additions to gameplay will be coming in the following months. For the most part, stuff is bought with cbills and/or MC. Also, there’s currently no trading items between accounts either.

After reading this, I think a lot of people might be discouraged from picking up the game. To be perfectly honest, this game is not friendly to beginners at all. However, please note that it’s basically a project in progress but if you can get past the “beginner’s hell” period it is a lot of fun.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users