8 replies to this topic

#1 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

You know I got to thinking about it, PGI initially doubled the armor because of the fact that we can aim and not have to roll dice. Fair enough make matches last longer. Unfortunately They didnt take into account WHERE we would be aiming!

Maby they should play with the armor values a bit per location! (for all chassis)
Heads are fine if anything take them up to 20 instead of 18 max...

Legs and arms 15-20% more
Side torsos 20-30% more
center 30-40% more

These numbers are by no means the final answer of what I would like to see but enough to illustrate my point!

I would say I'm a fair player and I enjoy both sniping AND brawling (even play meta if the mood strikes me), But I don't feel like I'm in a walking war machine in a grueling battle till my face is in the mud. ALL mechs feel squishie! (sorry fresh RVN 3L I Dual gaussed the other day BTW...)

I'm not bad at spreading damage around my mech either. This factor just doesn't feel right in this game. I would like to be damaged, missing weapons, ready to pick up a light pole and beat someone with it.

This may not be the answer to get that feeling It's however an Idea. If not armor than internal structure buffs.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

.....I could see PGI adding some internal structure buffs........

#3 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

This has been brought up numerous times. It would simultaneously add to time to live (which makes your mech feel more mech-y) and increase the validity of, say, shooting off an arm because it has a big gun, which right now is a waste of firepower. Of course if it was just internal structure that got buffed, it would serve an additional purpose of letting our mechs "soldier on" with damages/destroyed components whereas now if a weapon goes in-op in a section, that section is soon to follow.

#4 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

I mean JUST today I was reading Blood Legacy and it described some mech fights that I was JEALOUS OF! It was gritty, nasty, mechs where just loosing parts and kept moving if not by the sheer will of the pilot! We need that feel!

#5 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

That's called cinematic license, a.k.a. extremely unrealistic (even within the movie/game/book universe) events.

Weapons fire much faster in MW:O than in tabletop, so even the doubling of armor and internal structure we already have is inadequate.

I could see them doubling internal structure values or even armor (again), but not some random increases like your post.

#6 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 10 March 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I could see them doubling internal structure values or even armor (again), but not some random increases like your post.

Well yeah, OP said that he was just giving a loose example but his point is solid. If you wanted your increases to have some basis then you could shake the MWO statistics tree to see the damage spread for each 'Mech section. You could then raise structure/armor based on how frequently that section gets hit in MWO compared to a dice roll in tabletop, since that's the system against which the original armor and structure distributions were balanced.

Or you could apply the " When a plane makes it home, add armor to every section that doesn't have a hole blown through it. " approach. There's an amusing story in that. Definitely worth the read -

http://blog.ushahidi...and-vulnerable/

Edited by no one, 11 March 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#7 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

When are they gonna do the internal structure buff? I've heard rumors but seen nothing concrete.

View Postno one, on 11 March 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

Well yeah, OP said that he was just giving a loose example but his point is solid. If you wanted your increases to have some basis then you could shake the MWO statistics tree to see the damage spread for each 'Mech section. You could then raise structure/armor based on how frequently that section gets hit in MWO compared to a dice roll in tabletop, since that's the system against which the original armor and structure distributions were balanced.

Or you could apply the " When a plane makes it home, add armor to every section that doesn't have a hole blown through it. " approach. There's an amusing story in that. Definitely worth the read -

http://blog.ushahidi...and-vulnerable/

That story about the US Bombers (B-17s?) is a pretty good read actually.

#8 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 10 March 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I tend to agree. Randomly increased armor amounts will mess up total tonnage availiable for weapons and engines on stock builds etc. Besides, it makes no sense whatsoever to double the armor and not double the internals, especially so considering head internals are double, and weapons (as already mentioned) have up to 20 times (ac2 etc.) the firing rate compared to TT.

#9 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Well even if it's not armor, but internal HP that is buffed it would still have to be different for every piece of the machine. EVERYONE aims for CT so that should be buffed quite a bit. unfortunately if you buff everything equally your going to end up where you are now just longer matches.

I would like to see other area's of a mech become viable targets for once! (yes legging of the lights does make for lol's)
I dont want to just see matches get longer, I would like to make it look like a boxing match rather than a 10 paces and turn shoot out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users