7 replies to this topic

#1 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

I just had an idea according to your future plans on how mercs work in CW, regarding their economy.
In BT lore almost every merc corps was heavily dependant on salvage to maintain their fighting strength. Even new mechs for the corps were almost always just salvaged machines.
From your laid out plans I got that you aren't able or willing to introduce more than the current CBill bonus for salvage.
How about a soft salvage system that distinguishes mercs from house units, which will get certain discounts for house specific mechs?
My suggestion would be to introduce a system of discount per mech kill. For every kill a merc does, he gets an 0,5 - 1% (i.e.) discount on that mech variant, accumulating to up to 10 - 20% discount on the black market price. Discount per kill depends on the status of the wreck, of course, highest percentage would be only given for a headshot kill, as it works right now with the salvage CBills.
Lore background for this could be that if you have already gathered parts of that mech, you can buy cheaper chassis from the black market, which are in a worse shape than you'd need normally.
This system would also heavily spur competition within the units and lead to a more "merc-like" atmosphere.
As a bonus this system uses only stats you're already tracking anyway and chimes into your planned discount system for house units.
As a consequence of this you can make your planned planetary assets for merc corps more expensive and rare, which would also better fit BT lore.
Posted Image

Edited by Shredhead, 10 March 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

this is an interesting take on salvage, seems more viable than actually getting the parts I suppose. And once you buy that chassis, that bonus resets.

#3 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

Greetings all,

There may some promise in an idea for salvage on the Battlefield, especially as the battle progresses across the terrain. Our current in-house MWO artist has similar ideas on how and what is collected on the field, and sometimes very close to where the action is. Possibly we may see 2nd and 3rd line elements that do indeed follow the carnage that is left behind, collecting and picking over items that can be used by whichever side holds that terrain.

There are references from within the lore ad novels that describe units and elements that are specifically designed for salvage or transporting downed Mech's. So there is a precedence for some type of element that indeed is fielded by either the Merc's or the issuer of the original contract. Salvage rights were a heated topic during most contract negotiations.

The image that I present is not directly from the BattleTech universe, from the obvious designs in the background, but it is designed by Alex, Flyingdebris:

link: http://flyingdebris....ix-it-244510871

9erRed

#4 Procyon Alpha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN USA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Can we buy salvage mechs and get salvage contracts? Or contract a salvage service after a CW conflict? Maybe a consumable to get some extra cbills or parts?

#5 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostYeshua Kerensky, on 10 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Can we buy salvage mechs and get salvage contracts? Or contract a salvage service after a CW conflict? Maybe a consumable to get some extra cbills or parts?

I don't think we'll ever get a full fledged salvage system, hence my idea. But I guess the discount percentages could be part of contracts somehow, and I definitely see possibilities for "company consumables" or even personal ones to increase that percentage. Good idea!

#6 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

There was a time back in beta when salvage actually paid a massive amount of money, to the extent that getting clean kills could change your salvage payoff by millions of cbills for a match. If you killed an atlas with a headshot, you got millions of cbills in salvage just from that one mech.

Now salvage is like as rounding error, to the extent that it doesn't really matter how clean you kill a mech.

#7 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Yes, unless repair&rearm is added back in some form, doubt salvage will really change from what it is now.

#8 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Greetings all,

With the CW aspect soon to arrive, (months yet) the contract system does have to be in position first. Faction players may not see this system as they are normally fighting where their military sends them. The Merc's are contract based and that will be there only means of raising finances for there organization.
The Merc's may/will actually be hired by various factions to "deal" with objectives that they can not or "must not appear" to be involved with. At that point the "salvage" should be going directly to the Merc. organization, or they will have to transport the materials off world to a 3rd party. (story wise) Either way it will require some form of transport.

It has been stated that each "Jump ship" will be very costly, (Merc Corp required to own at least one, and "part" of the reason for the grouped 18Mil. licencing fee's.) the "Drop ship" arrives with each player, (the reason for carrying 4 or more Mech's into battle.) so the only aspect of the contract will be "can the company get the salvage off planet".
[ If PGI goes into any depth with this salvage rights and $ return]

The entire "Salvage" system may just end up being simplified parts for $, as there may be times when all the salvage would be Clan parts, and who in there right minds would simply melt that down for $. (yes, I know there is no crossover in Tech between IS and Clan.) If the "Market system" is an active and dynamic system, then holding Clan salvage to sell on the market (normal or black) would be a VERY profitable transaction. But then we may start to find some form of "farming", and PGI is well aware of that and actively closing that route.

And there is the whole idea that it is a Merc Corp, and during any actions all profit returns back to the Corp and the individual players/members are paid after the action. Contribute greatly in your "Role" during the battles and your percentage of the "booty" goes up. (or some form of balance for your actions.) The Merc's don't use the "loyalty" system for advancing in rank but can benefit from "showing the flag" when fighting on specific Factions Planets. (the cockpit items) Earning Xp, CBills, and all the additional earning bonus's (including salvage), plus the new "Challenges" and "Achievements" system probably needs a new and updated explanation from PGI and Paul.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 10 March 2014 - 08:00 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users