- - - - -

Zoom Module

14 replies to this topic

#1 Durian Poh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Finally bought my first heavy yesterday. A ctf 4x. Ive equipped it with 3 x ac5 and 2 x ml.

So far its been a mixed bag. First time im using ballistics and first time ive been anything other than short range.

Question..should I be getting the zoom module for this mech? Just noticed whilst spectating thatlots of ppl who use ballisics also use a that module. Im hoping that this will help with my accuracy as so far ive not been doing near the amoubt of dmg that I think I should be doing.

What do you guys think? Save up for the module? Or do my problems lie elsewhere? (Heavy learning curve etc sice ive only ever piloted mediums previously)?

Edited by John Poh, 10 March 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#2 Durian Poh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Sry. Just edited. Just realised I meant to say zoom module.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I think in my opinion (even though I don't own personally the 4X) is to get 4 AC5s. I would also suggest to get another 2 cataphracts, which would allow you to master the mech. I don't think you really need the targeting module, though you can check MavRCK's guide or other guides to try and find what you think may work for you module wise. Don't treat any of the competitive guides like a law, but consider them.

"- Support - Direct / Sniper (examples: TBT-7M, BJ-3, CTF-3D, HGN-732)

1. Artillery Strike
2. Air Strike

Consider: Target Decay, Target Info Gathering, Advanced Sensor Range, Improved Gyros" -taken from MavRCK's guide (I'm sorta lazy and don't have the time to direct quote as of right now.)

So you might want to consider it, though you may as well save the C-bills to master the Cataphract.

Edit: No problem, though you edited like right before I posted. I suggest it if you can't aim well enough, as it's decently cheap. However, once again you may as well save for other variants as it's more worth it in the long run.

Edited by luxebo, 10 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#4 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

It is not necessary but if have room for it and the longer range then it can be helpful. Whether or not it will help your aim, unsure...it is quite sensitive so need a steady hand for it to be effective, but is definitely better to have then trying to aim at long distances with precision.
Considering it only costs 2m credits I would say it worth the cost and good to have available.

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 10 March 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I find the zoom modules pretty handy. I have at least 6 of them. But on 93 mechs it's a pain to find them.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

The zoom module sucks in my opinion. 90% of players who I spectate use it at ranges that are far too close. The result is they can't track their target and also lose their peripheral vision.

I have one and would only use it for ER laser or gauss builds. AC rounds just seem too slow when viewed zoomed in which complicates aim correction.

Edited by Spheroid, 10 March 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#7 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

If you plan on fighting and sniping and offering fire support type roles at range I would suggest buying one and trying it out. (If you like it you can always pull it out and swap it between mechs until you can afford more than one and if you don't then you're not out much) I put it on all of my mechs that I expect to be fighting at range with. Under about 400 meters the regular zoom is adequate and advanced zoom is going to make it insanely difficult to track targets, especially faster moving ones

#8 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

I love the Advanced Zoom module. I put it on everything. Allows you to place shots with surgical accuracy even at short ranges.

#9 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

The zoom module is, IMO, one of the most misused modules out there. There are so many pilots out there who don't use it effectively. Like Spheriod said, many people use it to close and lose track of everything around them. It really make 'tunnel vision' a problem for them.

So to the OP, IMO, there are better modules out there to buy and use first.

#10 YT Shidy

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

If you are using your battlemech as a "dakkazord" (means firing AC bullets at long range, a support profile), you should use an advanced zoom module.

This is what I'm doing when I'm playing my Muromet with 3xUAC/5 :)

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

I personally don't like the zoom module. Even out past a kilometer I can see the enemy I want to shoot well enough. It seems best suited for ERPPCs and Gauss rifles, but I don't currently run with either of those.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

I think the Module is well worth it though beware of the stated tunnel vision. It can also be quite handy for long range, out of sensor range mech identification. Works wonders on maps like Alpine where you can just call a whole enemy lance's composition from over a kilometer away.

Thoug I'm not sure I believe Advanced Zoom is a better value if you've got your graphics setting all turned to Low (like I do with my not so adequate old laptop). With high settings it's easier to distinguish the enemy at range, especially on a sizeable screen. But YMMV

#13 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostJohn Poh, on 10 March 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

Finally bought my first heavy yesterday. A ctf 4x. Ive equipped it with 3 x ac5 and 2 x ml.

esp. for that mech i would tell you: no! The arms/ACs are mounted so low that you will kill more stones and rubble while "scoping" than you can imagine ;). And the range of AC5s isnt so high that you must have this module.
It works very well on "highmounters" though.Like BJ, Jager, Catapult etcpp...But the module itself is absolutely worth the price!

Edited by Mike McSullivan, 11 March 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#14 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

While I can get away without using the zoom module, I do kick myself when swapping mechs and forgetting to equip it!
(Primarily I play fire support in my 3xUAC/5 Jager)
Just the mod for the opening few shots as skirmish lines are being drawn and you can pick out the missile/ballistic boats with a few well aimed bursts.
(Sometimes even an early kill! ;) )

I am also guilty of abusing it a little in that sometimes when I'm nearly cored, I zoom in to a <400m opponent I'm retreating from to attempt a cockpit shot. Works 50% of time but as mentioned by others, stay aware of your surroundings and teammates!

#15 Akerlof

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Advanced Zoom was the first module I got and I absolutely loved it. But, as I got more experience, I found myself using it less and less, and now I seldom zoom in if I'm closer than 1000 meters.

My suggestion is: If you have the GXP, or if you haven't been saving for another module, then go for it. But if you have been saving up for something like Improved Seismic or Target Info Gathering, or whatever, then get whatever you've been saving for first. Any time you change mechs, your efficiency will go down because you're trying something new: So if you aren't giving up much to get Advanced Zoom, that's great. But if getting the module means giving up something else you've been working towards, figure out if your problems are due to learning a new skill before getting the extra tool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users