- - - - -

Drift In My Targeting Reticule

28 replies to this topic

#1 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

No, I'm not a good shot. ('You're welcome' all those guys who are padding their stats on the backs of my trashed mechs!)

However, I have noticed that when I stop moving my mouse my targeting reticule continues to drift. I went to the training grounds and found this happening even when I was at a dead stop in my mech! What gives??

I was always wondering how some of these pilots seem to have pin point accuracy, and figured they must have "very steady hands", but looking at some Youtube footage, and watching in spectator mode makes me think otherwise.

I see players crosshairs zip across the screen then slam to a stop on a target like they hit a brick wall, never slowing down on the way. Is this a Mouse setting issue? Am I just imagining things as I watch other players footage?

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Update your mouse drivers. Lower your mouse sensitivity, disable mouse smoothing and acceleration (possibly in Windows, definitely in MWO). If that does not help, it may be your mouse (the usual suspect; check the Internet for a solution), or a bug in MWO (less likely; contact support@mwomercs.com).

Edited by Modo44, 10 March 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#3 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Sounds like your mouse settings - specifically mouse acceleration. My mouse dpi is set to where I can move it to exactly where I want it and it it then stays there (for good or bad as my tracking/prediction with certain weapons is awful!). Mouse acceleration I don't use at all.

Theres probably a good guide in the hardware sub forum but this one works well:

http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=324921

#4 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hi william! Well, as far as your drifting issue goes, you must be the first player i have heard to have such an issue. During my time in MWO and the players i met along the way, ever reported such a problem. What i would suggest would be, to have a look at your mouse; maybe its sensory input starts failing. Sometimes, especially with optical mice this happens, although the effect of "cursor drifting" should be also visible in Windows and oher apps unless the sensitivity of the mouse is set to low levels for these apps.

Now, as far as watching other players' footage and observing their aming techniques, what you saw is not something uncommon for players with many thousands of combat drops under their belt. Especially players that constantly use so-called "meta setups" on their mechs, specifically train to do that. A common aiming tactic with such an effect, like the one you observe, is torso twist until your crosshair passes over your target and when the crosshair is around the position you want it to be, slam the "toggle arm-lock" key that you have mapped to a convenient key like "left shift" and shoot. For an observer, this would look like the effect you described in your OP.

Don't get discouraged by such things, practice makes perfect and most of all, HAVE FUN! ;)

<S>

#5 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

I had the same issue. For me it was having a gamepad hooked up that was causing the reticle to drift.

#6 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I also get reticle drift. No gamepad, using a good mouse (Logitech g400) and don't get cursor drift or reticle drift in any other game. As far as I knew this was a thing that everyone had to deal with, but I guess not?

Edited by aniviron, 10 March 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#7 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Like I said - mouse acceleration in all likelihood and definitely not good in a FPS game. ;)

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

High mouse sensitivity or a bad surface for your sensor type can also do this. There are many guides on how to set up a mouse for gaming properly. Just google it already.

#9 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

Physically remove all joysticks game pads or secondary mice...

Or.... try a mouse pad or surface to improve tracking...

#10 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Wow, fast responses! Thanks for the advice gents, I was wondering if it was a mouse thing. I'm not a huge gamer and use a home pcto play, so i'll 'tweek' things as best I can. :-)

#11 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

View PostBrut4ce, on 09 March 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

Hi william! Well, as far as your drifting issue goes, you must be the first player i have heard to have such an issue. During my time in MWO and the players i met along the way, ever reported such a problem. What i would suggest would be, to have a look at your mouse; maybe its sensory input starts failing. Sometimes, especially with optical mice this happens, although the effect of "cursor drifting" should be also visible in Windows and oher apps unless the sensitivity of the mouse is set to low levels for these apps.

Now, as far as watching other players' footage and observing their aming techniques, what you saw is not something uncommon for players with many thousands of combat drops under their belt. Especially players that constantly use so-called "meta setups" on their mechs, specifically train to do that. A common aiming tactic with such an effect, like the one you observe, is torso twist until your crosshair passes over your target and when the crosshair is around the position you want it to be, slam the "toggle arm-lock" key that you have mapped to a convenient key like "left shift" and shoot. For an observer, this would look like the effect you described in your OP.

Don't get discouraged by such things, practice makes perfect and most of all, HAVE FUN! ;)

<S>

Thanks for the tips brut4ce , i'll put some training time into trying that. And, yes, I am definitely enjoying the game. :-)

#12 Malieus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

I get the cursor drift as well but only every now and then...its not a fast drift so it doesn't totally kill gameplay, I still do pretty good regardless. I restart client after the match and it goes away.
My mouse is a Logitech G600, no smoothing or acceleration used in game. How old is your comp? Mine is old, dual core Pentium.
Wondering if there is a correlation between pointer problems, high DPI modern mouses (mice?) and older systems.

As for reticles racing across a screen and pinpoint stopping on target...sounds like an aimbot to me, but I haven't been in this game long enough to know if people are using such things. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and let us know if that sort of thing is known to go on here.....either that or people are just THAT good...which I also believe is possible.

#13 Boombuni

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

I occasionally get cursor drift from tabbing in and out of MWO during the loading screen and occasionally the prep screen. Don't remember what caused it, but I do remember shutting MWO down completely and restarting the program fixes the problem. I also recall watching the NGNG stream where Phil's cursor was stuck all the way to the right from a similar issue.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Some tips.

If it's a laser mouse, make sure to have a viable surface that doesn't vibrate. Fans cause vibrations which move your mouse. Just because you can use a mouse on the desk doesn't mean it's best, a mouse pad will keep it still even next to a fan.

If the mouse is wireless, make sure the clear plastic thingies are clean. If it is wired, make sure to follow the wire and untangle it from anything else.

If you have a joystick plugged in, unplug it.

#15 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

I once had a wireless mouse that liked to drift. I don't know if it was a stray signal or what.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

What kind of mouse are you using OP? What are the settings at? If you can give a little more detail, might be able to give even more specific info on how to help

#17 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Is it a pulse drift or continuous?

Continuous is far more common where the mouse pointer keeps drifting until it gets another command. In MWO, I sometimes get a short, pulse drift which appears to be tried to my ping because it's only happening when my ping is over 150. What happens is when I move the reticle to a point and stop, the reticle stops at my chosen location briefly then pulses by continuing to move slightly in the direction it was travelling before it stopped. The distance it pulses is small, maybe the width of the reticle but is devastating when it happens while firing weapons. Point, click, pulse, fire. Results in a miss every time. No solution to this, it seems to be related to that ping compensator thingy for players outside N/A.

A Continuous drift is likely a result of hardware or something external to MWO, but I've seen a pulsed drift related to a high ping in a particular match.

#18 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

The problem seems to only be happening in game(this includes the training ground, but not the garage/hanger screens). As I move my mouse and my torso twists, I bring the mouse to a halt but the targeting continues to move. It honestly looks to me to be a computer simulation of the power of inertia. While cool, it is not necessarily an advantage for playing and target!

#19 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

You're not the only one.

This isn't a game problem, it's a PC mouse driver problem suffering from trying to react / anticipate the forces you've been putting on the mouse.

What sort of computer are you using ... be honest ;-) ... it'll help.

#20 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

It's weird you have the drift in traing matches, that says to me that it's not a latency issue like mine ....

Do as other has said, test after lowing all video setting, and try making all mouse settings in the OS and game normalized. Unplug any unused hardware, particularly gaming/usb devices. On your mouse, set your hardware DPI to a low setting for testing. Give us your specs. We can probably solve this mystery with a little more information.

Edited by Assmodeus, 10 March 2014 - 04:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users