A Proactive Approach To Class Balancing In Opposition To 3/3/3/3

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Information Gathering (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your go to class?

1. Light (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Medium (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Heavy (10 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

4. Assault (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

What percentage earnings(C-Bills, XP, Loyalty) boost would it take to get you to play another class? (please be honest)

1. Less than five (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Five to ten (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. Ten to twenty (6 votes [22.22%])

4. Twenty to fifty (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

5. Fifty to onehundred (6 votes [22.22%])

When I solo queue I do so because....

1. It's the only way I play. (6 votes [22.22%])

2. None of my friends are on. (15 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. To make c-bills (6 votes [22.22%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

It's no secret to anyone who has seen my comments about 3/3/3/3 that I don't like it.

As a medium pilot I feel like this is a crap solution to the problem of drops skewing heavy. If I always know I'll be facing 6 mechs heavier and 3 mechs as heavy as I am the game will become static, I was hoping for an overall tonnage limit so It could be a min max group or would be somewhere in between

I feel also that the 3/3/3/3 solution will wreak real havoc upon the queues.

I'd love this thread to give me some data so that I can propose an educated solution around this idea: If rewarding people to play the ideal mechs in the pug queue (i.e. more mediums than assaults) would work?

I mean if people queue up solo to earn money, and earning money fast is a goal for some, it might work.

Edited by HammerSwarm, 06 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 06 March 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

It's no secret to anyone who has seen my comments about 3/3/3/3 that I don't like it.

As a medium pilot I feel like this is a crap solution to the problem of drops skewing heavy. If I always know I'll be facing 6 mechs heavier and 3 mechs as heavy as I am the game will become static, I was hoping for an overall tonnage limit so It could be a min max group or would be somewhere in between

I feel also that the 3/3/3/3 solution will wreak real havoc upon the queues.

I'd love this thread to give me some data so that I can propose an educated solution around this idea: If rewarding people to play the ideal mechs in the pug queue (i.e. more mediums than assaults) would work?

I mean if people queue up solo to earn money, and earning money fast is a goal for some, it might work.

I'd love it if it scaled the amount earned based on what class of mech is needed most, and told us in a ticker what the going bonuses for various classes are going to be.

So maybe Lights aren't short 2 of 3 for all the matches currently dropping (a big problem) provide a match bonus for anyone queuing a light of +100%... maybe mediums are short 1/3 for all matches queuing... they'll get a +50% match bonus.

Maybe heavies are short a small amount... +5% bonus.

now for the controversy:
I wouldn't mind if over subscribed mech classes went in the other direction proportionately. So if Assaults are over subscribed, they'll start getting contract penalties... the people hiring them aren't willing to pay as much for what they don't want, so maybe Assaults are over subscribed: -50% to match earnings.

Now I realize that's not going to be popular, so I'll say I can live without it.

I also wouldn't mind if unpopular variants received earning bonuses.... So if you want to go farm cbills you can take the worst chassis of the least subscribed class of mech and maybe be doubling or better your earnings.

It'd be one way to get more of the donkey mechs in to games. I usually sell those mechs back and I might not if there was a reason to keep one.

#3 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'd like to see any format lower than 3x3x3x3 be equally permitted, so long as it has less assaults and heavies than the standard format it should be ok.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

The only reason to drop solo - is to grind. Simple because 3-4 bad games in a solo drop are as much money as in a average drop with 3 other buddies.
Not to mention that a bad solo drop is as good as a bad premade drop.
When I drop i mostly take premium mechs, or mechs that still have the 2xp first victory modifer.

I prefer mostly medium skirmishers or assault jack in all trades... the last is a team player - again not optimal for solo queue.

What makes me nervous: a 75t is a heavy and a 80t is an assault...
so in really ugly cases - you can get a Dragon and a Awesome for a Orion and a Atlas in the other team?

OK - thats constructed because they said - when Team A has a 60t heavy Dragon they will look for another 60t.... but really i don't see much Quickdraws and Dragons - and the JaegerMech is an overwhelming increase of fire power.
The better fitting Mech to a missing Dragon or Quickdraw maybe a 55t.... but because this is another class.....bad things happen.

#5 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 07 March 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

The only reason to drop solo - is to grind. Simple because 3-4 bad games in a solo drop are as much money as in a average drop with 3 other buddies.
Not to mention that a bad solo drop is as good as a bad premade drop.
When I drop i mostly take premium mechs, or mechs that still have the 2xp first victory modifer.

I prefer mostly medium skirmishers or assault jack in all trades... the last is a team player - again not optimal for solo queue.

What makes me nervous: a 75t is a heavy and a 80t is an assault...
so in really ugly cases - you can get a Dragon and a Awesome for a Orion and a Atlas in the other team?

OK - thats constructed because they said - when Team A has a 60t heavy Dragon they will look for another 60t.... but really i don't see much Quickdraws and Dragons - and the JaegerMech is an overwhelming increase of fire power.
The better fitting Mech to a missing Dragon or Quickdraw maybe a 55t.... but because this is another class.....bad things happen.

yea, and compare a Jaegermech to a Catapult C4 in effectiveness. Sure the Cat might get lucky and the other team won't have ECM and/or his time might actually have support... but the jager is just better most of the time.

#6 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

It might be a bit more accurate to ask what classes we play than what our "go too" class is. I pilot heavies down to lights and own 0 assaults at the moment for instance. Precisely what I drive really depends more on my mood than a particular favorite(I have several) So it costs next to nothing to switch to something I like...if I were for instance forced to drive assaults...that would probably eventually lead to me just quitting the game.

Edited by Gladewolf, 10 March 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#7 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostGladewolf, on 10 March 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

It might be a bit more accurate to ask what classes we play than what our "go too" class is. I pilot heavies down to lights and own 0 assaults at the moment for instance. Precisely what I drive really depends more on my mood than a particular favorite(I have several) So it costs next to nothing to switch to something I like...if I were for instance forced to drive assaults...that would probably eventually lead to me just quitting the game.

I'm trying to get a sense what class people play most, their favorite, not what classes they are willing to play. I suspect people are willing to play more than what their favorite class is. For example I have battle masters and victors with huge XL engines in them for just such and occasion. I tried onions(Orions) and just hated them. I still love my dragons, all 5 of them. My go to class is a medium, it's what I voted for. When I log in to play I start in medium mech mode because it's what I love.

I don't want to know what people do play or can play, that tells me a lot less than what they want to play.

PGI's whole rational/justification for 3/3/3/3 is that strict tonnage limits would make it impossible for friends who paid real money for things to group up(the two atlases scenario), and that 3/3/3/3 was just as good. Because see they've solved the 6 assault """""problem""""". They failed to address any problems that 3/3/3/3 might create because "it'll be balanced that's what you wanted" "you asked me to give this to you" "you wanted balance and this is it. Ultimate balance"

You can't have an effective queue of people playing what they want to play if the distribution is 4/6/9/7 of what people want to play. If it were 3/3/3/3 then this idea would work. It's not that.

#8 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 10 March 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

You can't have an effective queue of people playing what they want to play if the distribution is 4/6/9/7 of what people want to play. If it were 3/3/3/3 then this idea would work. It's not that.

I understand what you are trying to do, I'm just wondering if you will find what you are looking for faster by looking for voids...I for instance, don't have an assault mech :angry: . I am sure there are those that have no lights, or mediums(based on some of the posts I've seen)

#9 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostGladewolf, on 10 March 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I understand what you are trying to do, I'm just wondering if you will find what you are looking for faster by looking for voids...I for instance, don't have an assault mech ;) . I am sure there are those that have no lights, or mediums(based on some of the posts I've seen)

This would be a good thing to know as well. With 4 mech bays do people own mostly assaults? and no mediums or lights? I'll consider this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users