Paint & Camo Questions

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

I'm a little confused as to how this works. Before I splash any MC, can you confirm if my "impressions" are correct or not.

This is how I presume it works:

CAMO
750MC = unlocked for all mechs, of any chassis?

75MC "One shot" = unlocked for one specific mech, and if "painted over" an existing camo is lost?

PAINT
Most colours i.e. blues, greens, pinks = 500MC = paint unlocked for primary, secondary and tertiary colours across all mechs, of any chassis?

"Basic" = 1250MC - does this get you ALL the colours in the "basic" pallette? Because otherwise I cannot figure out why it costs an extra +750MC.

"Special" & "Premium" - 1000MC - just ripping you off an extra 500MC as the colour is popular i.e. white or black?

Please correct me if my impressions are wrong - this is just from "guesswork" playing with the in-game camo settings. (I may be dense, but it isn't very clear to me how it works)

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

Camo high price = unlock permanently for all variants of a mech (e.g. all Spiders), including future swapping
Camo low price = unlock one time for one variant of a mech (lost if changed to a different camo)
Colour = unlock permanently for all mechs

Colour and camo prices are based on their perceived flashiness, nothing else. They all come around in sales, so you can save a lot by waiting.

Edited by Modo44, 15 March 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#3 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

Yes, only buy colors during sales. As a founder I got 20.000 MC and I think most of it is used for buying colors. <_<
But I think colors are a better investment than camos. Now I have all colors I like to make a lot nice combinations.

#4 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

Camo high price = unlock permanently for all variants of a mech (e.g. all Spiders),

Wow. 750 MC for 3-4 mechs only... there seems no reason not to buy the one-off version - unless you change the camo a lot (i.e. 5+ times) for each mech?

Colour = unlock permanently for all mechs. Colour and camo prices are based on their perceived flashiness, nothing else.

So each purchase (even the 1250MC range) only gets you a single shade of colour - not a collection of colours?

Thanks for the helpful replies.

#5 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 15 March 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

So each purchase (even the 1250MC range) only gets you a single shade of colour - not a collection of colours?

There are no 1250 MC colors. The basic colors cost CBills.

#6 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

Duh! I misread it. Thanks!

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 15 March 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Wow. 750 MC for 3-4 mechs only... there seems no reason not to buy the one-off version - unless you change the camo a lot (i.e. 5+ times) for each mech?

Yes. Add to that the fact that you may want to sell the worst variant(s). The full camo unlock is a very long-term purchase, only good if you like to experiment a lot.

#8 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostModo44, on 15 March 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

Yes. Add to that the fact that you may want to sell the worst variant(s). The full camo unlock is a very long-term purchase, only good if you like to experiment a lot.

Yup. Even though I'm flighty and like to change camos around, I still tend to buy single-use versions a lot of the time.

I only consider the permanent version when I enjoy playing all three+ variants of a chassis AND have a couple different patterns I like to switch between.

I haven't done that in a long time, though. With some 50 mechs now, it's really a lot more financially viable to pick a pattern I like for a particular variant, buy the one-use, then just keep that pattern and change colours when I get twitchy (you can freely change colors in a one-use pattern).

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 15 March 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

I'm a little confused as to how this works. Before I splash any MC, can you confirm if my "impressions" are correct or not.

This is how I presume it works:

CAMO
750MC = unlocked for all mechs, of any chassis?

75MC "One shot" = unlocked for one specific mech, and if "painted over" an existing camo is lost?

PAINT
Most colours i.e. blues, greens, pinks = 500MC = paint unlocked for primary, secondary and tertiary colours across all mechs, of any chassis?

"Basic" = 1250MC - does this get you ALL the colours in the "basic" pallette? Because otherwise I cannot figure out why it costs an extra +750MC.

"Special" & "Premium" - 1000MC - just ripping you off an extra 500MC as the colour is popular i.e. white or black?

Please correct me if my impressions are wrong - this is just from "guesswork" playing with the in-game camo settings. (I may be dense, but it isn't very clear to me how it works)

Pattern: Single use.

This is a cheap way to put on the pattern and use it. It only works for the mech you have put it on and it's lost when the mech is sold or the pattern is replaced. You can freely change the colors.

Pattern: Unlockable.

This is unlocked for all variants of that chassis. Example, Unlocked Crusader for Hunchbacks. You can use it as much as you want, forever, for any hunchbacks you have or will have.

Pattern: Special

Special patterns from either deals (PCGamer skin) or later on from Community Warfare unlocks.

Pattern: Premium

The more expensive but much more elaborate patterns. These usually have special traits such as shiny materials, unusual reflective surfaces, demons skulls etc.

Premium pattern example.
Posted Image

Colors.
Basic

C-bill colors. The "free" ones. Permanent. Very dark/dull.

Standard

500 for a permanent color. Modest colors.

Premium/Special

Premium colors much brighter than standard colors. Vibrant, stand-out, shoot me colors.

Special colors belong to the premium patterns. But there isn't much special about them and they are not required.

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 March 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

Premium colors much brighter than standard colors. Vibrant, stand-out, shoot me colors.

Special colors belong to the premium patterns. But there isn't much special about them and they are not required.

Do they still try to package the colors in when you try to buy the patterns?

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 15 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Do they still try to package the colors in when you try to buy the patterns?

It has not tried that to me in a while but I already have paints. It doesn't do that if you already have the mech painted. It used to if you do not have paints other than basic green and since none of my mechs are basic green I have no way of finding out.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I change camos far too often go with single use. Plus I tend to sell mechs and then buy them back from time to time (I got "100 dollars" in mechbays and still don't have enough room for them since I have so many mechs) so in the long run I save money with the permanent unlocks. Of course, I get them during 50% off sales.

375 is a very reasonable permanent unlock price.

Then again this is me.

View PostKoniving, on 10 December 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Thanks for that Odanan, been curious about that.

Did some drops as a few Liao Cataphracts.

Paint concepts thus far...

Liao Cataphracts.
Spoiler

Steiner Royal Guard.
Spoiler

Some shots were already taken with the Liao colors but frequent drops on Frozen City with the FC texture glitch impeded progress.

Spoiler

All focused mechs are me. Shots by Lordred. Those and thousands more can be found in Lordred's Perfect Screenshot Thread.

And that's why I always unlock my patterns. >.>

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

The "special" pallet are the colors that are associated with the "special" camos like Phranken. There is a Phranken Red, White, and Black. When you apply the Phranken skin, it automatically selects the colors that go with it (which makes for a very expensive MC total). You can, of course, reject those colors and replace with others of your choice before purchasing. It doesn't select the colors automatically if you have previously colored that mech at some point. Not sure if this is the same behavior in the new UI or not but that has been my observations with the old UI.

I should also note that some of the Special colors are very similar if not exactly the same as cheaper colors. So when buying colors, check the price as some are more expensive than others.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

I change camos far too often go with single use. Plus I tend to sell mechs and then buy them back from time to time (I got "100 dollars" in mechbays and still don't have enough room for them since I have so many mechs) so in the long run I save money with the permanent unlocks. Of course, I get them during 50% off sales.

375 is a very reasonable permanent unlock price.
Yeah, at 375, you're barely paying more than the 1 shot unlock for 3 mechs. I did that once with a sale for Stalkers. I think I'll probably stick to the one shots from now on though if I ever decide I want camo again.

Honestly, colors and camo are expensive, more than they really need to be. I have a few colors I regret buying now as I may not use them much ever again, though I've gotten a lot of good use out of the "free" colors I got with the Phoenix package.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users