Any Good Guides/tips On Improving Frame Rates/fps? Advice Requested

8 replies to this topic

#1 JimEvolved

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Using F9 I can see that my frame rates are mostly in the mid-20s, with dips in heavy action/graphics intensive areas and rises in open spaces/light action. I don't consider my computer to be particularly antiquated, I was wondering if I could get some advice on improving my frame rates.

System:
ASUS M3N-HT
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad 2.61 CPU
4GB Ram
Radeon 7870 2GB (driver version 13.4)
Monitor native 1680x1050
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

MWO Settings:
1440x900
DX11 (selected by Auto)
Motion Blur: Off
V-Synch: Off
Damage Glow: On
Advanced Settings: all Medium
AA: Off

For a mostly-slower paced game like this I'm not really interested in dropping to a super low resolution just to try to get to 60 FPS. Honestly if there were just some little things I could do to get a modest bump, keep the dips from being severe, I'd be pretty satisfied.

Thanks much in advance for any advice provided.

Edited by JimEvolved, 13 March 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

Read Matt's Command Chair post from yesterday.

In summary, setting the Object Detail, Environment, and Shadows sliders to "Low" in the Advanced section of the Video options will reduce the load on your CPU. Doing so gave me a pretty significant FPS boost.

#3 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

DX11, switch it back to DX9, that already will help A LOT!. Use your monitors standard resolution 1680X1050 (if its an option).

60 fps will not likely be available until they fix whatever they broke in the last patch. (DX11)

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

DX11 is not yet very optimized for MWO. I'd try scaling back ot DX9.

Make sure you make use of the Advanced options to turn things low, turn AA and motion blur off, etc

Lower the game resolution. I'd go all the way down to the lowest res option and work your way up from there if you can get passable frames.

Since the DX11 patch many users have lower game performance, so expect some fixes to come own the pipe as well.

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Moving this thread to the hardware forums.

#6 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 08 March 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Settings:
Vsync = Off
Motion Blur = Off
Anti Aliasing = Off
Anisotropic Filtering = 2 or 4
Post Processing = Low
Particles = Low

Set everything else to a combination of medium and Low. Set to DX-9 and restart client, then make sure all changes have stayed.

Also go into your catalyst control center and turn ambient occlusion = Off, just to see what that does.
On an ATI video card make sure ‘Anti-Aliasing’ and ‘Anisotropic Filtering’ are set to ‘Application Controlled’ in the Catalyst Control Center if you wish to set these settings in the MWO settings tab to on or enabled.
Disabling “Morpological Filtering” in the Catalyst Control Center will usually result in improved framerates. Disabling “ATI Overdrive” may result in increased framerates in some configurations.

I know this has probably been said, but it worked wonders for a friend that was in TS and was not getting what he thought he should for Frames Per Second on Fraps.. He said his increase was around 10 FPS, but I don't know if that was during combat or just standing there, I left after that match.

Plus your first series Phenom and that DDR2 is a bit dated.

EDIT: Back in the day I ran the Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI, the last Chip I ran in it was the AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz, clocked up to 3.7GHZ, and Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 RAM..

Edited by Odins Fist, 13 March 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Your Damage Glow and AA settings are bass ackwards …

Also: Particels above Low is hard on a CPU.

#8 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Your CPU horsepower just isn't enough to get smooth frame rates with no dips in this unoptimized game. You can make the dips less severe, but they will always be there.

Hell, MINE isn't even enough, and I have an i7-4770 CPU, 16GB 1600 RAM, and a GTX 780 GPU. I normally run at 2560x1440 res, but even when I tested at 1920x1080, there were still performance dips on every map.

#9 JimEvolved

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 13 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Plus your first series Phenom and that DDR2 is a bit dated.

EDIT: Back in the day I ran the Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI, the last Chip I ran in it was the AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz, clocked up to 3.7GHZ, and Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 RAM..

You're absolutely right, mobo/CPU/RAM combo was next planned upgrade, hopefully June-ish.

Thanks much to everyone for the responses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users