Locust 1V(P) - The Tag Runner

8 replies to this topic

#1 Facetious

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

So, (possibly like many people) I’ve been searching for something to do with the Locust 1V(P) to not much avail. Single ERLL or single AC2 both felt like I was a waste of a spot on my team, not doing much either in my own right or to help others.

I tried out this guy, and I have been amazed at how much fun I’m having so I figured I’d offer it to anyone else having trouble with the phoenix locust. The Tag Runner, 4 MGs and one Tag with a 190XL.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a4cd5f62c296ba

This build is all about Cashy Money. I spend the whole match flitting around at 160kph, tagging good targets for the LRM boats, getting something like 1,200 c-bills for each tagged missile hit. If the LRMs aren’t flying as much as you’d like, find that ECM atlas that nobody can target and lase him, for another 1,200 c-bill assist bonus for each person who lights him up.

I normally hate Machine Guns, and don’t have them on any other builds, but with this guy they seem to work for me better. Since I’m not focusing on damage at all and just scouting I seem to be in a good position to spot injured mechs trying to limp away from the missiles falling on them, so I can zoom in and finish them off.

I seem to have regular matches of 120 damage, 2 kills, and 250,000 c-bills. I’m two skills away from having all of his basics. This may be my new favorite light mech, as a change in pace to just blowing things up.

Let people know a Tag Runner is online, and make it rain!

#2 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

As much as I would love to see the success of the Locust, you're simply just better off using them in stock matches. ECM Commando (speaking of LIGHT lights purely) just completely blows the Locust out the water.

I definitely do agree with you though in regards to playing a more supportive role as opposed to a sniper.

Edited by Todd Lightbringer, 19 May 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

I use to run my Locust with a single LPL, and did well with it. However, I have go back to the old 4 MGs and a single MPL. The trick with the locust is to stay near your team, darting between friendly legs to distract and harass. Sometimes you can dart out real quick against a dearmored foe, or even run around behind the enemy team (situation dependent) and distract them by shooting up rear armor and either running through the enemy team (as they turn to face you exposing their back to your friends) to get back to your team, or you dart back away from them and draw some of their firepower away from your friends.

I distract, harass and take advantage of openings. I do a little scouting from time to time to. Been seeing moderate success with this.

#4 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Best success I found in a Locust was the 3E, where I ran it with 2ML, 2Flamers, and a TAG.

The 1V(P) was problematic. I recently switched mine back to 4MG and a MPL, but I had the most success with a slightly smaller engine and a LPL.

#5 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

MPL and x4 Machine guns is the winner here. I use mine to distract just like Tesunie stated. But better yet, you look at all the locks and find the weak guy who is retreating and you go kill him with you Machineguns. I have had a few 5+ kill games with my locust this way and most times over 300 dmg.

#6 Facetious

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 19 May 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

As much as I would love to see the success of the Locust, you're simply just better off using them in stock matches. ECM Commando (speaking of LIGHT lights purely) just completely blows the Locust out the water.

I definitely do agree with you though in regards to playing a more supportive role as opposed to a sniper.

You see, the problem is that many of us bought the Phoenix Package because the Shadowhawk, Thud, and Battlemaster looked like such fun, and then ended up with these three Locusts sitting around. Two of them were very easy to make builds for, but the Phoenix Variant (the one that gets you 30% bonus C-Bills, and thus the most important one) is less useful. I have a hard time throwing away or selling a mech with that kind of bonus, so I was looking at a way to use him effectively. So its less a matter of "what’s the best light mech I can buy?" and more "can I make this mech I already have useful?"

The LPL or 4mg & mpl were both mildly effective, but dull in my mind because they’re doing the same thing as the other Locust models, but less effectively (fast moving close-middle range damage). I enjoy the fast-moving Tag much more on a mech which I can focus on getting money while assisting the team.

#7 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostFacetious, on 19 May 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

You see, the problem is that many of us bought the Phoenix Package because the Shadowhawk, Thud, and Battlemaster looked like such fun, and then ended up with these three Locusts sitting around. Two of them were very easy to make builds for, but the Phoenix Variant (the one that gets you 30% bonus C-Bills, and thus the most important one) is less useful. I have a hard time throwing away or selling a mech with that kind of bonus, so I was looking at a way to use him effectively. So its less a matter of "what’s the best light mech I can buy?" and more "can I make this mech I already have useful?"

The LPL or 4mg & mpl were both mildly effective, but dull in my mind because they’re doing the same thing as the other Locust models, but less effectively (fast moving close-middle range damage). I enjoy the fast-moving Tag much more on a mech which I can focus on getting money while assisting the team.

You can't sell the phoenix mechs as far as I understand (or have tried).

Out of all the Pheonix mechs, I've had the hardest time with the 1V, the (P) version. For me, it actually wasn't the hard points or the fact it's a 20 ton mech. My problem has been, and still is, the roll bars that block large portions of my vision when I play the (P) mech. The other locusts I do much better in simply because I can see were I am going, instead of just what is in front of me. (The 1V(P) gives me massive tunnel vision problems, and I constantly run into objects as I go around the map. I don't have this problem with the other Locusts.)

The (P) locust really felt like "Pay to Lose". I don't mind having the interesting little frills and different looks, but it shouldn't hinder my performance in the mech compared to the non-(P) version... But this has been a problem for me personally, and I've been informed by other people that it doesn't bother them (and they promptly informed me I should just get over it and adjust). (I'm trying to adjust! But... it still hinders me...)

#8 Facetious

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostTesunie, on 19 May 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

You can't sell the phoenix mechs as far as I understand (or have tried).

Out of all the Pheonix mechs, I've had the hardest time with the 1V, the (P) version. For me, it actually wasn't the hard points or the fact it's a 20 ton mech. My problem has been, and still is, the roll bars that block large portions of my vision when I play the (P) mech. The other locusts I do much better in simply because I can see were I am going, instead of just what is in front of me. (The 1V(P) gives me massive tunnel vision problems, and I constantly run into objects as I go around the map. I don't have this problem with the other Locusts.)

The (P) locust really felt like "Pay to Lose". I don't mind having the interesting little frills and different looks, but it shouldn't hinder my performance in the mech compared to the non-(P) version... But this has been a problem for me personally, and I've been informed by other people that it doesn't bother them (and they promptly informed me I should just get over it and adjust). (I'm trying to adjust! But... it still hinders me...)

Yeah, it definitely has that Dune Buggy cockpit. Maybe when PGI actually fixes the toggle for cockpit glass they can throw in a cockpit detail toggle too. =P

#9 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

I'm tempted to try this. I've done a TAG + 4MLs on my -3M, and found that it was really very effective if you had cooperating LRMs on your side. Granted, it had the advantage of 4 MLs when you needed it, but I generally spent the first third of the match TAGing only - putting lasers into someone only draws their attention. Sitting there and TAGing means that the missiles rain down, and you get XP and C-bills.

I did take a similar approach with my -3S, where I decided to make a NARCcust with it. By dropping on a NARC and focusing on playing support instead trying to cause direct damage meant I did a lot more assisting, but I did a lot more living too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users