5 replies to this topic

#1 I 0____o I

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

---

Edited by Austin Danger Powers, 17 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#2 drinniol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

It stands to reason that individuals hitting enter game at the same time will likely end up together, and seeing as many people just drop right after a match it seems likely.

I imagine waiting a few minutes will have the same effect.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostGIANT TARGET, on 16 March 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'm not really a new player but I posted the question here b/c I think the answer will help new and old players alike. There are still details of the current matchmaker that mystifies experienced MWO players.

I noticed on more than a few occasions that when I go on long losing streaks, like 7 games or more, if I log out and log back in, my next game is a win. Statistically the chances of that happening with log out/in not affecting Elo is pretty low, especially when you get to 10+ game losing streak followed by a win after log out (I've had this happen a number of times). Teams are supposedly getting matched with another team of equal skill, so very very roughly you should get a 50/50 chance of winning, although I know that's not a 100% accurate statement of the expected result. I usually don't do better than I did in the losing games, given the time I survived, so it's not that my skills somehow improved after I logged out.

One other reason why it feels like Elo is affected by the log out/log in is that during the losing streak, I often notice the same patterns almost every game, like my team having 3 to 4 trial mechs, Spider chasing, players spreading out while the enemy is more coordinated. The game right after log in almost always gives me a coordinated team - at least a team that moves together.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Don't jump when you're fighting Onyxia, or she'll breathe more.

Anyways, no, logging in and out won't affect your scoring, that's just ridiculous. You're simply looking for patterns in too small a sample set, and looking at it from too limited a view.

Do you really think the 24 man match is based so directly on you and your actions? You're just one random unimportant member.

Elo changes happen gradually, and the whole scoring system doesn't garauntee even matches, but rather adjusts your score based on how likely it feels you are to win a match vs. how the match really turns out. The Matchmaker uses your Elo scores to attempt to get two teams as closely matched as possible, but how successful it is depends on the player pool who've clicked "Launch" all around a the same time.

As to seeing trials, consider: Maybe you're not particularly good. This isn't an insult - the vast majority of players are average. New players, having finished their cadet period, are started out roughly in the middle of the Elo scale, so as a normal, average player, you're going to see new players frequently.

At mid-range Elo levels, you'll have very random results as far as team cohesiveness goes. As you climb the ladder, you'll find teams more and more frequently all do roughly the same things, because these more experienced players are used to doing those things. But at the middle ground, you're going to have a lot of less experienced players. Sometimes they'll move together, sometimes they won't. When one side does and one side doesn't, steamrolls happen.

View Postdrinniol, on 16 March 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

It stands to reason that individuals hitting enter game at the same time will likely end up together, and seeing as many people just drop right after a match it seems likely.

I imagine waiting a few minutes will have the same effect.

This. If you keep chain-launching, you'll end up fighting the same people as they do the same. Wait for a couple minutes and you'll get a totally separate set of players, or get into a different weight class mech - each of your weight classes have their own Elo rating, so you'll *tend* to get different opponents/teammates; depending again on player pool size.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostGIANT TARGET, on 16 March 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

How are you coming to this conclusion that I'm getting the same players? Because I don't. I should mention that this has happened after I've spent a couple of minutes in Mechlab, or do something else to delay the next game.

His point still stand though - I get the same thing as you, when I am on a losing streak, waiting a minute or two before launching the match does seem to change that, and a lot of it is the player pool.

IE 90 players keep launching at around the same time, 90 more ~4 minutes later, you are likely to keep getting the first 90 unless you wait till after they have launched to launch your search.
You aren't getting the same players all the time, but you are changing which pool the game searches through.
If a lot of (I hate to use this term >.< cannot think of a better one right now though) "lesser" players drop at the same time you start, then waiting a few minutes can (in theory at least) change that.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Do you disconnect from games early? If so, I'd imagine there is a sort of lag involved in your elo score since you are launching before the match concludes, so your elo score adjusts midway through that game when the first one ends.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Do you disconnect from games early? If so, I'd imagine there is a sort of lag involved in your elo score since you are launching before the match concludes, so your elo score adjusts midway through that game when the first one ends.
won't matter. Your score changes only a little at a time, and individual matches have a fairly large delta. The results of a single match should have no noticeable impact on matchmaking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users