11606 replies to this topic

#461 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 17 May 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

>point this out to my team
>nobody turns around

After those times, I wonder if I've made the bad assumption that the team understands English (which would be a fair point, outside of combat tunnel vision or chat bug). It's also why I have hopes for "Command Wheel" before VoIP, so long as it involves an expressive request/command and spotting system (as other games have done for themselves) instead of just give us something more to whine about.

And not to leave without a whine: Well, not my whine; I find it rather funny... when players complain about somebody in a "meta-build", and it's on their own team... saving a game that's otherwise a roll. Har har!

#462 Hopper Morrison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

View Postdraiocht, on 17 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

After those times, I wonder if I've made the bad assumption that the team understands English (which would be a fair point, outside of combat tunnel vision or chat bug).

I play at many different times during the day. I believe you may be right. also on some maps it's hard to see the team chat.

#463 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

guy#1- fall back to base and use the turrets (score is 6-6 but we're getting hit bad and out tonned, i retreat- cicada 3c at about 40% with orange internal CT,LT and both legs-, everyone else stays and fights)
guy#2- stay and support your teammates (score is still 6-6)
guy#3- finish off that one guy in the corner first (score is 6-7)
guy #1- fall back to base (score 6-8)
guy #2- why are you falling back to base? (score 6-8)
guy #3- wait there's an almost dead blackjack over here (opposite side from the ones in the corner- score 6-9)
guy #1- why isn;t anyone falling back to base? (score 6-10)
guy #2- what are you doing at the base? (score 6-10)
guy #3- ok hit and run, support the turret but don;t let them get a shot on you (enemy coming in from 4 different routes- score 6-11)

i finally give up and just run out there take a couple shots and die turning a corner into 2 enemy mechs.
guy #3- why didn;t you listen to me?

note: guys #1-3 all died early and not once noticed or acknowledged the fact they were giving completely contradictory advice from each other. not that it mattered since it seemed i was the only one listening to any of it.

#464 Hopper Morrison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostTanar, on 17 May 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

note: guys #1-3 all died early and not once noticed or acknowledged the fact they were giving completely contradictory advice from each other. not that it mattered since it seemed i was the only one listening to any of it.

you are the wind beneath my wings.

#465 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

View Postdraiocht, on 17 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

After those times, I wonder if I've made the bad assumption that the team understands English (which would be a fair point, outside of combat tunnel vision or chat bug). It's also why I have hopes for "Command Wheel" before VoIP, so long as it involves an expressive request/command and spotting system (as other games have done for themselves) instead of just give us something more to whine about.

View PostHopper Morrison, on 17 May 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I play at many different times during the day. I believe you may be right. also on some maps it's hard to see the team chat.

I have dropped several times with non-English speaking teams.

Edit: or at least I would assume so, since they spent the match typing things out in other languages B)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 17 May 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#466 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

>look at map
>one lance is dead, the other two lances are in two different parts of the map
>they are walking around in confusion
>most of the enemy team is near the middle of the map
>ask the team to hit theta (the middle)
>nobody replies
>more walking around in confusion

sigh...

>at kappa on crimson strait
>enemy team is rushing through the tunnel to hit us from below
>team knows this because we are all shooting at them through the ceiling gaps
>enemy mechs start going up the slope to get at us
>perfect opportunity to hold the chokepoint and slaughter them all
>....except that most of my team decides it would be a great idea to run off to epsilon at this point without telling the rest of us
>me and a battlemaster are left to face a horde of enemy mechs pouring up the slope
>split team proceeds to get wiped

Edited by Jun Watarase, 18 May 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#467 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

Just had a team of tryhards who got totally butthurt because we assault their base and capped with one mech left on our team, while they had three who failed to assault our base (realized a little too late that trying to cap our base now was pointless).

After the match in the chat they kept saying how it was them who really won, because of their kills and whatnot. Kept reminding their sore asses that the game doesn't recognize their imaginary "win".

/feelsgoodman

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 18 May 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#468 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 18 May 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Just had a team who got totally butthurt because we assault their base and capped with one mech left on our team, while they had three who failed to assault our base (realized a little too late that trying to cap our base now was pointless).

After the match in the chat they kept saying how it was them who really won, because of their kills and whatnot. Kept reminding their sore asses that the game doesn't recognize their imaginary "win".

/feelsgoodman

And the usual response to players like this is? "Go play skirmish".

/QQ
:)

Edited by Kjudoon, 18 May 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#469 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

My biggest whine really is the turrets. They have pushed assault mode in a different direction that to me is a deep,dark pit. It used to be my favorite mode,but now everyone hardly ever even bothers attacking and all sit back and camp,which is why when they put them in they should have gotten their own mode.Don't misunderstand - I don't like cap rushes,but I am willing to tolerate them in exchange for the tactical options that were removed the day turrets went in.

Not to mention bad mechanics such as automatically hitting,and LRMs that lock without LOS half of the time and have almost no minimum range. In fact putting LRMs on them at all was a flaw because LRMs take them from being defensive installations to being support mechs that have enough range to hit half the map or more on some maps and have infinite ammo.

Edited by Xanilos, 19 May 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#470 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

View Postsneeking, on 19 May 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

thats why they gave us skirmish for people like myself with no interest in cap rushing ( I pilot lights not speed towards cap points but to speed towards multiples of larger enemy facing impossible odds and failing gloriously ) since its implementation iv played nothing els, never even seen a turret lol.

Yep! and that's why I don't play skirmish because I appreciate a strategic challenge or secondary way to win. It's made assault so much better.

As for "camping", Xanilos, I agree people don't push as much because it's strategically beenficial to use turrets. Welcome to more realistic military strategies and options... something too many gamers have no interest in or ability to comprehend because it isn't just button mashing.

Edited by Kjudoon, 19 May 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#471 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

Cheers! :)

Posted Image

Pulling a sweet manuver in the air only to get your big toe stuck on some invisible part of the map while everyone treats you like a pinata. This happens A LOT on frozen city, River City, and Canyon.

Edited by lockwoodx, 19 May 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#472 xXMastahclese

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWork, always work :P

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

In a heated battle, throwing out damage hand over fist and then BAM!!!!!!!! JAVA update opens and overrides the game and I die >:\

I hate you JAVA :)

#473 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 19 May 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

As for "camping", Xanilos, I agree people don't push as much because it's strategically beenficial to use turrets. Welcome to more realistic military strategies and options... something too many gamers have no interest in or ability to comprehend because it isn't just button mashing.

I don't think Xanilos wants to button mash Kjudoon. I've dropped with him and he's not that type of person.
More realistic strategies and options? This isn't a real warfare simulator. Arma has that kind of play.
Assault mode is simply awful now. lose more than 3 mechs? No problem! Just wander back to base and camp there, so enemy team has to face multiple lrm launchers and medium laser turrets as well as all of you.
More tactical options? Lose a couple of mechs then camp seems to be all of them I see. In fact, camping is mostly what I see period these days.

Great if you are a sniper or a missile platform, awful if you are anything else. GG on gameplay variety death. What's happening is build xyz way or don't play basically. Because if you don't someone using FOTM build#232 is going to start with an advantage over you.
What happened to movement? Flanking? False advances, rolling retreats? It got long-ranged out of the game. It got camped out of the game.

Not a good omen.

Edited by kamiko kross, 19 May 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#474 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 19 May 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I don't think Xanilos wants to button mash Kjudoon. I've dropped with him and he's not that type of person.
More realistic strategies and options? This isn't a real warfare simulator. Arma has that kind of play.
Assault mode is simply awful now. lose more than 3 mechs? No problem! Just wander back to base and camp there, so enemy team has to face multiple lrm launchers and medium laser turrets as well as all of you.
More tactical options? Lose a couple of mechs then camp seems to be all of them I see. In fact, camping is mostly what I see period these days.

Great if you are a sniper or a missile platform, awful if you are anything else. GG on gameplay variety death. What's happening is build xyz way or don't play basically. Because if you don't someone using FOTM build#232 is going to start with an advantage over you.
What happened to movement? Flanking? False advances, rolling retreats? It got long-ranged out of the game. It got camped out of the game.

Not a good omen.

True, we are not a 'realistic military simulator', but realistic military tactics still work when they have not been deliberately engineered out of the game. I'm partially agreeing with Xanilos, but I'm pointing out the realistic fundamental basis for falling back and using all assets when an advance fails. The tactical retreat is a classic military maneouver.

At least then with the upcoming Attack/Defend mode coming, this will force one side to press, while the other has the benefit of camping because it must defend while the other has nothing to lose.

Movement was engineered out of the game with the size of the maps being so small and how the bases, turrets and cap points are laid out to make sure only specific gameplay patterns are followed. Flanking still works, but cover is all important because long range is king here as in real life. Again, realistic military aspects exist here and need to be respected until they engineer them out. Currently brawling is very very weak because of hit scan/hit reg problems that keep cropping up. There is no distinct advantage of using short range weaponry as a primary tool. Then again, there never was in TT either by comparison.

#475 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Guys,guys this is the whine thread,not the well thought out argument thread.

PS. I don't like button mashing and what I really want is close range damage over time builds to be as effective as long range high alpha builds.

PPS. I would have been completely fine with turrets if they had their own game mode.

Edited by Xanilos, 19 May 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#476 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 19 May 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

True, we are not a 'realistic military simulator', but realistic military tactics still work when they have not been deliberately engineered out of the game.  I'm partially agreeing with Xanilos, but I'm pointing out the realistic fundamental basis for falling back and using all assets when an advance fails.  The tactical retreat is a classic military maneouver.

At least then with the upcoming Attack/Defend mode coming, this will force one side to press, while the other has the benefit of camping because it must defend while the other has nothing to lose.

Movement was engineered out of the game with the size of the maps being so small and how the bases, turrets and cap points are laid out to make sure only specific gameplay patterns are followed.  Flanking still works, but cover is all important because long range is king here as in real life.  Again, realistic military aspects exist here and need to be respected until they engineer them out.  Currently brawling is very very weak because of hit scan/hit reg problems that keep cropping up.  There is no distinct advantage of using short range weaponry as a primary tool.  Then again, there never was in TT either by comparison.

So translation of that = If you don't like camping and sniping don't bother? :(
I can't help but feel immensely saddened by what PGI have done.

Today's whine?
Camping teams of course. 6 defeats back to back because the team just wouldn't move an inch. Every time huddled together, got surrounded and murdered.  You point it out, and you get "shut up dead guy" or "l2p."

Whine part 2: Sanctimonious people who insist on typing "GG" after they just stomped you 12-3 with their 9 man sync drop....then when you type very bad game (which it was) you are "unsporting."
I'm not here to make your ego any bigger people. A bad game is bad game.

Edited by kamiko kross, 19 May 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#477 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

My whine is against those who whine against well reasoned arguments in a whine thread. :(

#478 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 19 May 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

My whine is against those who whine against well reasoned arguments in a whine thread. :(

lmao... nice =D

#479 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Just because you queue up with some of your buds, doesn't give you any reason to ****-talk the non-grouped people.

And hey, it's not my fault if the other guy with a shorter temper legs your Raven.

#480 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

This...

Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users