Jump Jets And "poptarting"

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Jump Jet heat (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Address the real problem? (see text)

1. Good idea? (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. Bad Idea? (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I feel PGI is going about things the wrong way with the recent nerfs to the Victor and Highlander. Instead of inflicting penalties on heavily used chassis, I feel they should have directly addressed the root of the problem.

Jump jets produce no heat in MWO, where as they did in the table top game. I feel jump jets should raise a mech's heat levels. In MWO we have 4 types of jump jets, depending on the tonnage of the mech. As the jump jets move up in class, I feel they should produce more heat and have a longer cooldown.

This change would barely effect light and medium mechs, but heavy and assualt mechs would have a harder time "poptarting".

I really think this would be a better solution than just nerfing whatever chassis is being used most.

#2 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

I agree with the idea that jump jets need to cause more heat. They actually do cause a small percentage of heat when you fire them. However they should cause the same amount of heat across the board.

In TT the jump jets create heat depending on how far the mech jumps. The first 30m, or hex, a mech jumps creates three heat, every hex after that adds one additional point of heat. So, a mech that jumps four hexes will build up six heat.

To translate this into MWO the jump jets would have an initial heat spike of 3% plus 1% for every two seconds the jets are firing. This heat would be a flat addition to the base heat of the mech.

Heat could be raised to 6% on the initial firing and 2% added over time.

To further change the JJ I think the jump jets should have a set minimum thrust when activated, with an increase in cockpit shake for the first 2 seconds of ignition. After that the shake would decrease to the current level.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'd like to see "crazy idea" added.

Although I am unsure how I feel about it overall, any change would be interesting.

#4 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Good idea. But here's the problem. Jump jets DO produce Heat. I've checked and re-checked. it's not much. and it vanishes almost right after the JJ shut down. But it's there.

#5 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

This suggestion does not address the ROOT of the problem...that is still convergence and pinpoint damage.

If you can hit someone in a specific section of their mech for 40 points of damage pretty routinely...that is game breaking.

That means that on a 70T mech like the Cataphract, with full armor on side torso, 1 pinpoint 40 damage burst leaves you with either a sliver of armor left, or if you run anything less than max armor, an exposed torso. TT did not function that way, MWO does...TT did not have high damage alpha strike problems...MWO does...

JJs are only a very MINOR symptom of the fundamentally underlying issue.

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

I think MWO should take a close look at the jump jets in MWLL. They build up a decent amount of heat, but also they rocket propel your mech really fast into the air. This means you have to be much quicker to adjust your aim and you may end up spending more time in the air for retaliation. Put these together and you get a system which doesn't prevent pop tarting, but it doesn't make it near as easy as it is now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users