48 replies to this topic

#21 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostmiSs, on 04 April 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Bringing back General Discussion is a discussion (lol) we had internally for quite some time now. We're excited and looking forward to this :)

Obviously this is some strange usage of the word "excited" that I previously wasn't aware of. April Fools was on Tuesday my love :)

#22 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

#23 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 March 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Or the less conspiratorial version.

Because so many topics were being buried by narcissism, where 10 different people would create their own threads on a topic rather than join in on the 5 that already existed about the exact same topic.

that's the thing though we all knew it wouldn't stop fools just quickly spamming a new thread cause they can't be bothered to scroll down and find their hate topic there and ready for an additional post. since then we've had the mods going all over the place putting content where it should've been cause the poster didn't know where to put it and we've got repetition on hate topics anyways as you and sandpit should be well awear of.

what we had before was not perfect but at least the feedback & suggestion threads were really about such things, they got contaminated too. we lost the hate containment vessel and now it just spreads and spreads and spreads. i wouldn't mind getting GD back, it would show PGI to have a backbone for critisim and a forum that's a little more democratic, i mean they say themselves few people come to the forums so all polls are invalid. are they really scared of a few morons as opposed to groups of them on reddit, in starcitizen, other news sites etc becuase they're not alowed to here? yeah it did them a good turn getting rid of GD :)

i remeber it well enough...

Spoiler

we've had some ridiculous things happen since such as the SC forums and the reddit split because people could only vent outside the mwo forums. it's not the end of the world by all means but when you cut off communication lines and places to vent it does effect the company's standing and this starts to happen...

Posted Image

it hurts potential growth, not something to encourage no matter how insignificant it might be.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 04 April 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#24 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

General discussion is a necessary evil.

I look at this way. General Discussion is like a bit torrent site. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy but at least you know where to find it. It will be a sink whole for all the jackassery that goes on around here. Its like a town that closes down a skate park because of all the kids that flock there then complain about how kids wander the streets and get in trouble. Well duh! You get the trolls out of their natural home they're going to go find new ones.

So thats why We need General Discussion. Together all the trolls back together.

This message has been made possible by Dozle Zabi for starting this thread, Nikolai Lubkiewicz for announcing General's return and the word Jackassery.

#25 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

At least I'll get to dust off the old "This thread is new and exciting" bit. Haven't used that one in a while.

This is serious business, there should be a poll.

#26 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 March 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Or the less conspiratorial version.

Because so many topics were being buried by narcissism, where 10 different people would create their own threads on a topic rather than join in on the 5 that already existed about the exact same topic.

Heh, because removing GenDisc was so completely effective in eliminating duplicate threads.

Besides, the way people post topics all willy-nilly, the whole damn board is "General Discussion."

Hmm.. I want to talk about a new mech. Clearly that goes in Gameplay Balance.

Ohh, I know, I want to rage about Terra Therma, that must go in Metagame.

:)

#27 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

I am excited

#28 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 04 April 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

General discussion is a necessary evil.

I look at this way. General Discussion is like a bit torrent site. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy but at least you know where to find it. It will be a sink whole for all the jackassery that goes on around here. Its like a town that closes down a skate park because of all the kids that flock there then complain about how kids wander the streets and get in trouble. Well duh! You get the trolls out of their natural home they're going to go find new ones.

So thats why We need General Discussion. Together all the trolls back together.

This message has been made possible by Dozle Zabi for starting this thread, Nikolai Lubkiewicz for announcing General's return and the word Jackassery.

that's exactly where pgi went wrong, asshatting is reflecting more on the posters than the hosts but when the hosts say enough is enough... then everyone starts turning the hate guns on a different target.

i'm really hoping this new herpderp vacuum bag will suck up the derps from the surronding threads and leave the suggestions sections purified. make polls functional in GD while you're at it, lends a bit opf empowerment to those with an agenda, there's nothing wrong with it, the numbers give us a laugh.

#29 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

OMFG , where can I get a Hate Gun for my Hunchback? Such Want.

#30 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

So, just so I'm clear on things. When the new 'general discussion' portion of the forums goes live, in what manner will it break the game until hotfixed or disabled? Do we know yet? I'm just preparing for the inevitable based on prior experience....

#31 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostHelsbane, on 05 April 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

So, just so I'm clear on things. When the new 'general discussion' portion of the forums goes live, in what manner will it break the game until hotfixed or disabled? Do we know yet? I'm just preparing for the inevitable based on prior experience....

Posted Image

#32 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

where general discussion goes, admiral troll, and Colonel confusion is soon to follow. should be interesting as always.

#33 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

More good news on this front,

After a few months, I'll be able to write part 2 of http://mwomercs.com/...about%E2%80%A6/

#34 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 04 April 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

General Discussion will be coming back to it's original form within approximately one week.
More details to come Soon™.
Brace yourselves!

Posted Image

View PostBagheera, on 04 April 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

OMFG , where can I get a Hate Gun for my Hunchback? Such Want.

Posted Image

Posting in a Niko thread like a proper K-towner. But the re-merger of the forums into the proper Internet Rage Machine is both meet (and NEET) and proper. Let it be done.,

Edited by wanderer, 05 April 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#35 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

The whole forum should be General Discussion ... because it already is.

The entirety of the site map:

Forum Home > General Discussion > umpteen zillion duplicate threads about whatever

#36 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Bringing back General Discussion is a discussion (lol) we had internally for quite some time now. I'm excited and looking forward to this :P

Something I've been wondering for some time. If miSs is the "Light Admin", who is the "Dark Admin"? Or do we have a "Heavy Admin" to be unleashed only in extreme circumstances?

#37 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 05 April 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Or do we have a "Heavy Admin" to be unleashed only in extreme circumstances?

I didn't want to say anything, but all that time on the dole, Niko could stand to loose a couple.

#38 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 04 April 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

You're implying that Matchmaking works now.
And statistics are a problem because the Call of BattleHalo 32 mouthbreathers are statwhores and will throw a match if they think it'll improve some meaningless stat.

Are these the same players who want to turn MWO into an e-Sport? ;)

Because evidence suggests that is what we will end up getting instead of the originally envisioned Community Warfare.

Edited by Mystere, 05 April 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#39 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Bringing back General Discussion is a discussion (lol) we had internally for quite some time now. I'm excited and looking forward to this ;)

Did I detect a hint of sarcasm? ;)

#40 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostJess Hazen, on 04 April 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

i would imagine matchmaking would work a lot better without elo because it would be simplified.
as it stands now the matches are generally landslide victories anyway.

You imagine wrong, then. Oh, sure, the MM code is much simpler, since it just has to find 24 people, rather than 24 people that at least fit somewhat/kinda/almost within a certain profile. But we had that already, and completely random flip-of-the-coin matchmaking to decide if you'll be the roll-er or roll-ee is not better, by any means. Nothing like dropping with 11 scrubs in trial mechs (or cash mechs because they couldn't play long enough to get the cadet bonus before "upgrading") and getting shot in the back at the spawn to brighten one's day.

Anyone that thinks that was better is:

A: New, not having been around for it.

B: Forgetful, unable to remember what it was actually like.

or

C: Delusional, thinking they are much better than they actually are because their pre-made was able to stomp PUGS.

Edited by OneEyed Jack, 05 April 2014 - 03:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users