Before I Buy Clan Mechs...

22 replies to this topic

#1 saKhan Steiner Lawl Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Long story short.

I'm new, and am considering buying Clan Mechs.

I can't really find any information on how they're going to incorporate them into the current gameplay, so my questions are...

Will the game be exactly as it is now? Such as, I have all of my mechs IS/Clan in one window, I just pick which one I want to play, and jump into a randomized 12 vs. 12 match of IS/Clan mixed opponents?

I guess a better question would be, "Where do I find all the answers for how PG plants on implimenting the Clan Mechs with the game, metagame, ect." I've looked around and haven't found an description of what's going to go on. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

I believe they have said they will make 12v12 Clan vs IS. These will be quite different, and I say you may want to hold maybe the 30$ slot for the monthly bonuses and then decide whether to upgrade or not. But, nevertheless, wait for more info. The latest post on the clans is this: http://mwomercs.com/...d-construction/ Hope I helped. :)

#3 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Check command chair forum...

Now don't forget that pgi is comstar...

And like comstar is infiltrated by blakists... You are supposed to accept and believe that they will deliver and implement clan mechs according to their vision on faith...

If that answer suffices, the collection platter icon is visible for you to show your "support"...
Please don't forget to check out the highly affordable golden mech package

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

They said they might make IS omni-mechs, wont that be dandy

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Very little about Clan tech and Community Warfare is clearly defined at this moment. Given the weak rewards for preordering early, it makes sense to wait until June, and base any purchase on the actual state of MWO at that point.

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Untill CW, or at least till right before it launches, I would expect the drops to still be non-faction specific. That said, once drops are faction specific, you'll still be able to use IS mechs as a clanner, and Clan mechs as an ISer. Silly for lore? Maybe, but if you limit folks to one or the other, you cut off purchases they can make, in many cases make stuff they purchased obsolete, and start with a ton of IS players and few clan players (Since you'll only have folks who paid for the mechs using clan mechs for many, many months).

Honestly, they need to release 4 clan mechs for CBills on day 1 when the clans are released, so that when CW drops, folks have had some time to play/master them. Sadly, that's not the plan.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

What they "plan" to do with the game eventually. While not as ambitious as the original plan, it still seems a little far fetched (or at least beyond their abilities) so take it with a grain of salt.

What is known for certain.

Clan mechs cannot be used for Inner Sphere teams.
Inner Sphere mechs cannot be used for Clan teams.
Tech cannot be mixed.
Because Inner Sphere mechs kinda work like clan mechs... Clan mechs work like Front Mission / Armored Core mechs in that body parts can be swapped to get different hardpoints and traits.
Clan weapons will "work differently" than Inner Sphere weapons. The exact meaning of that? I don't know.
Clan Targeting computers "will be functional."

Command Console will continue to be useless well past July.

Edited by Koniving, 20 March 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#8 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostModo44, on 20 March 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Very little about Clan tech and Community Warfare is clearly defined at this moment. Given the weak rewards for preordering early, it makes sense to wait until June, and base any purchase on the actual state of MWO at that point.

i don't think the rewards were weak, u get 30 days premium+16 days, colors that would cost 500-1000 mc and some other stuff, for as less as 55 for 1 mech pack, or 30 for the lowest pack. Rome 2 pre-order only gave me 3 Greek states with the per-order and that was over 6 dollars. So you gotta compare values.

#9 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Koniving, why do you say take it with a grain of salt? not only does it mean to take things with skepticism it also means not to take something literally. being skeptical is fine, as we don't know how they will actually be able to do this. When you say its way beyond their abilities i think that is not validated. Can you make something like UI 2.0? if you cant then retract that statement, if you know it will be hard work then retract that statement.

I guess they didn't reveal yet how clans weapons will have a unique flavor as they put it but we do know how they will work.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 March 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 March 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

What is known for certain.

Clan mechs cannot be used for Inner Sphere teams.
Inner Sphere mechs cannot be used for Clan teams.
Tech cannot be mixed.
Because Inner Sphere mechs kinda work like clan mechs... Clan mechs work like Front Mission / Armored Core mechs in that body parts can be swapped to get different hardpoints and traits.
Clan weapons will "work differently" than Inner Sphere weapons. The exact meaning of that? I don't know.
Clan Targeting computers "will be functional."

Actually, Koniving, you need to listen to the newest NGNG Podcast.

For public matches, anybody will be able to use any 'Mech they want. You can have 11 Clan 'Mechs and 1 I.S. 'Mech versus 11 I.S. 'Mechs and 1 Clan 'Mech in a public match. The faction choice of the players doesn't matter in these.

For Faction matches, you will be able to use whichever 'Mechs your Faction uses (I.S. 'Mechs for I.S. factions/units or Clan 'Mechs for Clan units).

For Private matches, whoever is setting up the matches will be able to set the rules.

And it looks like they will release two Clan 'Mechs per month to get them out quicker.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 March 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

I guess they didn't reveal yet how clans weapons will have a unique flavor as they put it but we do know how they will work.

Given PGI's history of game development, technical issues, and having missed every technical-side deadline they ever set it's not unreasonable to take things with a grain of salt. Two of the core design pillars of the game were abandoned a little more than 1 year ago. The community warfare described there isn't anything like what was originally described, and PGI is quick to remind us that design plans change based on what they can and cannot realistically make happen.

In this game design, without random maps the ability to make custom "bases" of any meaningful sort is pretty impossible to expect when randomized turrets are impossible without creating "multiple copies of the same map." And random maps are not feasible in a server authoritative environment.

With a 'match maker' and without repair and rearm reinstated, what general purpose would logistics and dropships provide? Match maker is forcing the 3/3/3/3 weightclass system. The purpose of having the dropships to support higher weight capacity in your drops is lost. Without repair and rearm, why would the logistics of establishing your supply lines matter? Or is it going to charge us for going from match to match?

My point is some of the intentions, no matter how good, cannot realistically be met without completely redesigning how the game will work. They won't redesign core mechanics but will bandage them. The few times they tried, they abandoned the attempt (splash damage for PPCs, removing or modifying the splash mechanic for missiles -- attempts to modify these core scripts in CryEngine led to some nasty failures and attempts were abandoned). If it says anything the time line they gave basically said we'd have the start of community warfare by this month.

Some mechanics they mention cannot work without repair and rearm.
Some cannot work with the current game design.
Some cannot work with a server authoritative environment.
Some cannot work without "making multiple copies of a map."
Some elements are incompatible with the Launch Module design shared with us or with the new drop restrictions.

Design elements change. "Color may vary from display on packaging."

An old example, heat above 80% caused damage to all internal systems, melting weapons and heatsinks and cooking ammo just by being hot. Actuators used to cause movement and aim miscalibrations. The game in general was much more simulator-like. But that alienated casual players and new players as nothing told them what was going on, and so those simulation aspects were cut out.

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 20 March 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

For public matches, anybody will be able to use any 'Mech they want. You can have 11 Clan 'Mechs and 1 I.S. 'Mech versus 11 I.S. 'Mechs and 1 Clan 'Mech in a public match. The faction choice of the players doesn't matter in these.

For Faction matches, you will be able to use whichever 'Mechs your Faction uses (I.S. 'Mechs for I.S. factions/units or Clan 'Mechs for Clan units).

On my point about design changes, there's an example right there. That didn't use to be the case.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 March 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

So you gotta compare values.

The value of no CW actually in the game, a broken matchmaker, multiple long-reported bugs going ignored, constant release schedule mishaps, and multiple unfinished features convinces me to not preorder until the last day, if at all.

#13 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

[
you need to be more specific, technical-side deadline? and you created an argument against yourself and voided it. You cannot make a statement against missed deadlines without addressing the deadlines they did hit. otherwise its Biasm and i already told you i will not consider 1 sided thoughts. I mean no disrespect but, i spent the last 5 years studying different philosophy's especially Greek and the Strong force behind rational arguments, not to mention i did extremely well in college English especially when it came to argumentative essays. I do love a good argument but that doesn't mean i have to only acknowledge my views and strong-points. Sorry i got off topic. as for core designs, you still need to be more specific, as i don't know what you are talking about. R&R isn't a core mechanic and is not needed for anything. How was CW originally described? Once again you need to elaborate, Because if you don't the only people who will end up agreeing are the people who share the same feeling and not viewpoints

View PostKoniving, on 20 March 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

In this game design, without random maps the ability to make custom "bases" of any meaningful sort is pretty impossible to expect when randomized turrets are impossible without creating "multiple copies of the same map." And random maps are not feasible in a server authoritative environment.

hmm, about this one, im not too sure you understand the engineering behind this. As the ability to create random maps doesn't have much to do with the other points your trying to make+its a little hard to understand you. My best example of what your talking about is how Bethesda created their dungeons of OB IV instead of making them by hand they used multiple of the same design but had a random map generator or some sort, excuse me its been three years since i read up on Oblivion's technical layout.

With a 'match maker' and without repair and rearm reinstated, what general purpose would logistics and dropships provide? Match maker is forcing the 3/3/3/3 weightclass system. The purpose of having the dropships to support higher weight capacity in your drops is lost. Without repair and rearm, why would the logistics of establishing your supply lines matter? Or is it going to charge us for going from match to match?

I dont know what you mean by forcing? and the 3/3/3/3 is a pretty sound system. I think its better than the one that we have now. Its not forcing anyone to pick anything except premade lances but as i said before, nobody really ever brings 4 assaults as flexibility is key. For solo players they can drop with what they want to drop with but the matchmaker will find a place for the players mech and fill any missing slots. say i drop by myself and i'm bringing a banshee. the matchmaker will just try to find me a match that has 1 slot left for a assault or if there is still 4 slots left withing the /3 for assaults ill just be put in proper place. I think a lot of people misunderstand watch the matchmaker will do, and there is a post by Roadbeer on twitter in which he completely got it all wrong and made a false assumption. People who don't have a understanding once again will drift towards players who share similar feelings. I cannot understand that because i Will always come to my own conclusions after much analysis. I must agree with the concern for R&R, supply lines does sound like a cool idea, If my mech is busted on the front and out of ammo i will have to bring it back to base but what if i'm cut off? I'm sure tho, its an easy feature to implement back, since they already have the concept of it. I don't think they will have to start from the ground up,

My point is some of the intentions, no matter how good, cannot realistically be met without completely redesigning how the game will work. They won't redesign core mechanics but will bandage them. The few times they tried, they abandoned the attempt (splash damage for PPCs, removing or modifying the splash mechanic for missiles -- attempts to modify these core scripts in CryEngine led to some nasty failures and attempts were abandoned). If it says anything the time line they gave basically said we'd have the start of community warfare by this month.

Some mechanics they mention cannot work without repair and rearm.
Some cannot work with the current game design.
Some cannot work with a server authoritative environment.
Some cannot work without "making multiple copies of a map."
Some elements are incompatible with the Launch Module design shared with us or with the new drop restrictions.

Design elements change. "Color may vary from display on packaging."

An old example, heat above 80% caused damage to all internal systems, melting weapons and heatsinks and cooking ammo just by being hot. Actuators used to cause movement and aim miscalibrations. The game in general was much more simulator-like. But that alienated casual players and new players as nothing told them what was going on, and so those simulation aspects were cut out.

On my point about design changes, there's an example right there. That didn't use to be the case.

again i say, no they will not have to completely redesign, that is a failure to understand the programming/not knowing enough about what the details of the work entail. Nasty failures as in?>i would have loved examples, without them you leave me hanging. As for your 5 accounts of how they will not work, again i will say that is a failure to understand the programming. Aslo you failed to specify the challenges of implementation or how they will not work. I believe these can be implemented back into the game/ or they could be.

As for making the game more favorable to some players and easier we lost some things. I would prefer if they did attempt to put more simulation aspects back into the game.

#14 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostModo44, on 20 March 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

The value of no CW actually in the game, a broken matchmaker, multiple long-reported bugs going ignored, constant release schedule mishaps, and multiple unfinished features convinces me to not preorder until the last day, if at all.

im getting a little tired of this repeated. The matchmaker is going to be made better and they are working on it. so why did you feel the need to post about the current matchmaker and neglect the new one coming into place. I don't like going into a match with just 2 assaults but i like the 3/3/3/3 for reasons i stated above.

CW is on the way, We all know its not here and whining isn't gonna make it come much faster. Do me a favor, go look at the State of the IS post, they cant implement CW without the clans. If they did, the clanners would be just as made as you are.

Once again, you cannot use the words missed deadlines against them without addressing the deadlines they did hit and then weigh the outcome. as for the bugs, they have been working on them and we have had patches so i don't know where you have been. They fix one problem another occurs, don't you just love technology.

Modo, you dont need to buy the packs, The clans will be out for C-Bills soon after so, its really just a personal choice.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 March 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#15 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

http://www.nogutsnog...et/podcasts.php

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 March 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

Technical Deadlines
Spoiler

Random maps.
Spoiler

Forcing and supply lines.
Spoiler

Nasty Failures
Spoiler

As for making the game more favorable to some players and easier we lost some things. I would prefer if they did attempt to put more simulation aspects back into the game.

Technical deadlines.
Spoiler

Creating random maps.
Spoiler

Forcing and Supply Lines.
Spoiler

Nasty Failures
Spoiler

I would like the simulation elements to return as well. If they do, it will be after the planned Pilot Skill tree redux, the rebalancing of all mechs, knockdowns if they ever do return, and so on.

My point on the grain of salt is that
  • 1) They are perpetually late compared to the extremely unrealistic deadlines being stated and likely pushed on them by either the CEO (Russ) or the publisher (IGP) and
  • 2) Various elements in what was put out in that version of community warfare have changed drastically from the original version. As new decision come in, it becomes clear that certain elements of this version of CW must be changed to fit and thus this version of CW will likely be different from what was announced.
As a specific example, originally it was PGI's intention to keep Clan versus Inner Sphere battles to only Clan mechs and Inner Sphere mechs. That Clan can fight Clan. Inner Sphere can fight Inner Sphere. But Clan mechs cannot mix with Inner Sphere mechs on one team.
Then the one dude here says that NGNG 102 or whatever says "Nope, we changed our minds. You can play whatever you want in public matches and mix Clan with Inner Sphere mechs."

Things change. If you expect exactly what you are told, you will get burned. Take them with a grain of salt.

#17 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 March 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Koniving, why do you say take it with a grain of salt? not only does it mean to take things with skepticism it also means not to take something literally. being skeptical is fine, as we don't know how they will actually be able to do this. When you say its way beyond their abilities i think that is not validated. Can you make something like UI 2.0? if you cant then retract that statement, if you know it will be hard work then retract that statement.

Knightie, I'd like to take you with a grain of salt too...

kon has done a lot for the newbs and noobs alike... while you are some schmuck on the interwebs that asks for evidence every other post...

#18 Shijunai

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 March 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Technical deadlines.
Spoiler

Creating random maps.
Spoiler

Forcing and Supply Lines.
Spoiler

Nasty Failures
Spoiler

I would like the simulation elements to return as well. If they do, it will be after the planned Pilot Skill tree redux, the rebalancing of all mechs, knockdowns if they ever do return, and so on.

My point on the grain of salt is that
  • 1) They are perpetually late compared to the extremely unrealistic deadlines being stated and likely pushed on them by either the CEO (Russ) or the publisher (IGP) and
  • 2) Various elements in what was put out in that version of community warfare have changed drastically from the original version. As new decision come in, it becomes clear that certain elements of this version of CW must be changed to fit and thus this version of CW will likely be different from what was announced.
As a specific example, originally it was PGI's intention to keep Clan versus Inner Sphere battles to only Clan mechs and Inner Sphere mechs. That Clan can fight Clan. Inner Sphere can fight Inner Sphere. But Clan mechs cannot mix with Inner Sphere mechs on one team.

Then the one dude here says that NGNG 102 or whatever says "Nope, we changed our minds. You can play whatever you want in public matches and mix Clan with Inner Sphere mechs."

Things change. If you expect exactly what you are told, you will get burned. Take them with a grain of salt.

The things I just read about, in this post, make me very sad about their loss. This game could have been epic.

#19 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostMycrus, on 22 March 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Knightie, I'd like to take you with a grain of salt too...

kon has done a lot for the newbs and noobs alike... while you are some schmuck on the interwebs that asks for evidence every other post...

He has every right to "take it with a grain of salt" Since Kon is not a PGI employee. Skepticism is fine and I'm sure thats not the issue here. There is no need to bring it down to a slapfight.

On topic:

In the Public Queue you can play whatever you want and it does not matter what your friends bring if you drop in a group. Same for private matches.

With CW though you can play in Faction mode where mechs are locked as far as I know.

#20 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 23 March 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

He has every right to "take it with a grain of salt" Since Kon is not a PGI employee. Skepticism is fine and I'm sure thats not the issue here. There is no need to bring it down to a slapfight.

On topic:

In the Public Queue you can play whatever you want and it does not matter what your friends bring if you drop in a group. Same for private matches.

With CW though you can play in Faction mode where mechs are locked as far as I know.

Wrong quote... Your comments should have referred to blood Wolfie... I'm all for skepticism and mysticism too if that floats your boat...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users