A massive alpha is a great incentive to close on the enemy

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

PGI clearly doesn't like brawling. Just about everything they've done balance-wise has encouraged the long range game.

#3 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 21 March 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Please...

Fix hit Reg. Problem solved.

#4 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostVarent, on 21 March 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Agreed. Though I do think they will need a damage buff to be viable against skill rockets and pop snipers.
Most of their damage before came from the bugged splash mechanic. With that gone and their new flight path 2.0 SRMs will still be lack luster

#5 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Please...

I dont' think that 2.5x is needed. What we need is the hit registry to be fixed and for the spread to be minimized a bit. Artemis, TAG, and NARC are great for LRMs but are really too clunky. The biggest issue with SRMs, which is kind of like LRMs too but to a much greater degree, is that the spread is so massive that you tend to miss with a great deal of the missiles on the smallest of targets. And, even when you do hit, how many of the missiles are actually showing up? The current work around is stagger firing which does work. I loaded up 6 SRM6s on my Jager A last night and made a go of it for a while. The problem with that, though, is that you're getting damage done on target but you're also keeping yourself open longer for counter fire.

#6 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see SRMs toned down a bit after hit reg is fixed TBH. Even with routine hit reg problems, running 3-5 SRM6 on something fast enough to flank/backstab is pretty devastating. The bigger issue becomes getting there alive versus all the long range weaponry.

#7 Varent

• 2,393 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 21 March 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

Agreed. Though I do think they will need a damage buff to be viable against skill rockets and pop snipers.
Most of their damage before came from the bugged splash mechanic. With that gone and their new flight path 2.0 SRMs will still be lack luster

Not as much as you think. I use srm regularly and rack up 500+ damage and 2-3 kills when I do. And thats with missing 20-25% due to hit reg. I can only imagine those numbers with fixed hit reg.

#8 Varent

• 2,393 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 21 March 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I dont' think that 2.5x is needed. What we need is the hit registry to be fixed and for the spread to be minimized a bit. Artemis, TAG, and NARC are great for LRMs but are really too clunky. The biggest issue with SRMs, which is kind of like LRMs too but to a much greater degree, is that the spread is so massive that you tend to miss with a great deal of the missiles on the smallest of targets. And, even when you do hit, how many of the missiles are actually showing up? The current work around is stagger firing which does work. I loaded up 6 SRM6s on my Jager A last night and made a go of it for a while. The problem with that, though, is that you're getting damage done on target but you're also keeping yourself open longer for counter fire.

true yes. TBH artemis is pretty much a must on srm atm for that reason. lowers the spread to a useable level in brawling. Probly could be even tighter IMO. But perhaps an overall lowered spread without artemis and then a nice really tight one with artemis?

Right now with artemis on an srm 6 you can get most of your missles on 2 torso sections at about 200 yars. maybe missing one missle off to the side. Id lvoe to get it a spread so if you have good aim you can get them all on one torso section at about 200-250 yards with artemis. Really setting them as a prized brawling weapon.

maybe without artemis have that same spread at maybe 100? 150?

Edited by Varent, 21 March 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#9 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostVarent, on 21 March 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

true yes. TBH artemis is pretty much a must on srm atm for that reason. lowers the spread to a useable level in brawling. Probly could be even tighter IMO. But perhaps an overall lowered spread without artemis and then a nice really tight one with artemis? Right now with artemis on an srm 6 you can get most of your missles on 2 torso sections at about 200 yars. maybe missing one missle off to the side. Id lvoe to get it a spread so if you have good aim you can get them all on one torso section at about 200-250 yards with artemis. Really setting them as a prized brawling weapon. maybe without artemis have that same spread at maybe 100? 150?

I did something interesting, to me at least, last night with my Jager A. In it's prior incarnation, it was an AC20 w/ double Lrg Lasers and it was awesome but I picked up a Firebrand on sale last week which forced a rebuild (can't have two mechs doing the same thing, amirite?). So, I toyed around with it and decided to drop in 3 SRM6s w/ a NARC pod and 2 Lrg Lasers. The funny thing is that the NARC pod, for as hard as it is to use, was doubly effective because it benefitted my SRMs while simulatenously ridding any ECM on the carriers and providing targets for my LRM boaters. In hind sight, it was MUCH better than any Artemis config that I've run, for SRMs I mean, and weighs just as much (3 tons for Artemis on 3 launchers vs. 3 tons for the NARC launcher).

Regardless, I was still having to chain fire my missile wracks which caused problems in and of itself. But, the combination was kind of crispy.

#10 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Let us wait until after the April 1 patch links hit reg directly to the server and see how that goes before asking for any SRM changes.

*crosses fingers* :rolleyes:

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostVarent, on 21 March 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Good luck with that. I shot NARC into some mechs and no hitreg.... particular on a non-moving mech. Sometimes... I just wonder why those black holes in the network randomly appear.

#12 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 March 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Good luck with that. I shot NARC into some mechs and no hitreg.... particular on a non-moving mech. Sometimes... I just wonder why those black holes in the network randomly appear.

What color pill did you take?

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 March 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Well, if there was ECM, it doesn't show at all.

But it also does have spotty hitreg. 20%?

#14 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 21 March 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

What color pill did you take?

I don't know anymore. :rolleyes:

View PostMcgral18, on 21 March 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Well, if there was ECM, it doesn't show at all.

But it also does have spotty hitreg. 20%?

ECM isn't the factor... the hitreg is 50-50ish like ballistics.

#15 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Until they fix hit registration, boost damage in the meantime. I don't think they're going to fix hit reg anytime soon, so why should brawlers languish until then?

EDIT: Why is PGI afraid that SRMs would become brokenly overpowered? They were overpowered in CB, but that was because of splash damage and the weird spread pattern.

Spread is now more consistent, and splash damage is gone. Why not bring it back to 2.5? They were perfectly fine with boosting LRM speed by a whopping 50%

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 21 March 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#16 Varent

• 2,393 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 21 March 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Until they fix hit registration, boost damage in the meantime. I don't think they're going to fix hit reg anytime soon, so why should brawlers languish until then?

EDIT: Why is PGI afraid that SRMs would become brokenly overpowered? They were overpowered in CB, but that was because of splash damage and the weird spread pattern.

Spread is now more consistent, and splash damage is gone. Why not bring it back to 2.5? They were perfectly fine with boosting LRM speed by a whopping 50%

Boosting it temporarily sounds like it could be a legitimate answer, though I think they would have to paraphrase the path notes with the fact that its temporary. Also if all of the missles do hit (wich they do on occasion) your gonna get some games that are gonna make people rage. Though I suppose that wouldnt be any different from what we have now with lrms.

Shrug.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 21 March 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

What's hilariously sad is that the current damage of 2.0 was announced as temporary until hitreg was fully fixed -- in which case, they'd be lowered back down to 1.5.

Edited by FupDup, 21 March 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

We can't have working SRMs... LBX, and good pulse lasers.

Let's just hug our medium lasers all day.

#19 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Please...

THIS plus splash damage.

Splash damage is critical. (and only splash for SRMs, not streaks)

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

SRMs would still suck if hit reg was perfect. 2 damage per missile is just too low.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users