Too Much Fun - 64 Kmh Lrm Boat Commando

11 replies to this topic

#1 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

COM-2D LRM Boat

The version I actually use carries less armour in order to carry 1270 rounds (or an AMS system).

I literally laugh maniacly while using this. It is a great way to provide an ECM shield for assault mechs without attracting too much attention.

Edited by Avimimus, 22 March 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Strana Mechty calling ComStar. Sensors indicate we have located PGI's target demographic. Over.

:P

Edited by Appogee, 22 March 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

I am going treat this as a serious topic and suggest you add a third LRM5 by using a XL100 and deleting the slas. Still I have doubts the heat system could handle the extra burden with only singles.

Edited by Spheroid, 22 March 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 22 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I am going treat this as a serious topic and suggest you add a third LRM5 by using a XL100 and deleting the slas. Still I have doubts the heat system could handle the extra burden with only singles.

Not enough crits, doesn't free up enough tonnage.

Edited by Escef, 23 March 2014 - 04:15 AM.

#5 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, this is actually quite serious. When I first started playing - I would run around with a tag and an LRM 5 pretending to be a 25 ton elemental ;)

Oddly enough - I stopped using this loadout because they made LRMs better...

You see - each tweak to the LRMs has been to make them more similar to other weapons, and has involved an AMS improvement as well. This was aimed at dealing with big missile boats (Catapults and Stalkers). However, it had the side effect of making anything which uses an LRM5 useless because the improved AMS will take out all the missiles.

To properly balance things for different weight classes they should make AMS more effective against large groups of missiles, but less effective against small groups. In other words, a couple of missiles from a single LRM5 should stand a chance of getting through, but more than half of the missiles from 2xLRM20 should be taken out.

The increased LRM speed does make this light missile boat almost viable though - so it is worth trying while it *might work*.

P.S.
It is sad how PGI's attempt to fix missile boats has made any other use of missiles than boating (in a medium or larger missile boat) unviable...

#6 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostAvimimus, on 23 March 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

Yeah, this is actually quite serious.

Posted Image

#7 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

What game ever lasts long enough to use up 127 salvos of missiles?

I would use a couple of those tons of ammo for a 3rd LRM 5.

#8 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 23 March 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Hahahaha that guy in his fo**ing bus trollolololololing around the battlefield. Fu**ing funny!

#9 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Bad build is bad: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cabee2dccdd3c93

You don't need to go that slow. 3 tons of ammo allows for 54 pulls of the trigger. LRMs, though, without any means to counter enemy ECM are pointless which would put you at zero damage output (nobody respects a single Small Laser).

Try again.

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 24 March 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

LRMs, though, without any means to counter enemy ECM are pointless which would put you at zero damage output (nobody respects a single Small Laser).

LRMs are a team play weapon, which is part of why they have not been too popular unless they were over powered. Relying on yourself to provide target locks is horribly inefficient. If you're lobbing IDF you should not be in a position to get your own locks. TAG and BAP is for your spotters, not you.

#11 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostEscef, on 24 March 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

LRMs are a team play weapon, which is part of why they have not been too popular unless they were over powered. Relying on yourself to provide target locks is horribly inefficient. If you're lobbing IDF you should not be in a position to get your own locks. TAG and BAP is for your spotters, not you.

You're a freaking Commando with an LRM10. Your job IS to spot. Anything else that you bring to the table is gravy. It is a terrible 25 ton mech, not an 85 ton Stalker w/ an LRM75.

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 24 March 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

You're a freaking Commando with an LRM10. Your job IS to spot. Anything else that you bring to the table is gravy. It is a terrible 25 ton mech, not an 85 ton Stalker w/ an LRM75.

I was talking about LRMs in general. An LRM boat that tries to counter enemy ECM is packing in equipment to do someone else's job, not his own. On the Commando, yeah, different story. But then, he's probably better off sneaking up on immobile big boys and just dropping the missiles without a target lock anyway. (Or, for that matter, not running LRMs at all, but if one is determined to try it, well, hey, if they get results than they're doing something right.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users