Mwo On An Ultrabook?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Kashif

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationKarachi, Pakistan

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting this Acer Aspire S7 392 9439 Ultrabook (http://us.acer.com/a...el/NX.MBKAA.015) because I'll be travelling to another city for work reasons. Won't have access to my gaming rig there for a few months.

I was wondering if this thing could run MWO while I'm on the go there :-/

Help! :-/

#2 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Sorry but the answer is no.

#3 Kashif

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 23 March 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Sorry but the answer is no.

Not even at the lowest settings? I've seen a few videos of people playing Crysis 3 on ultrabooks with the same specs.

Video 1 of Crysis 3 on an ASUS Transformer with an i7 4500U and HD4400, and just 4GB DDR3:

Video 2 of Crysis 3 on a Dell Inspiron 3537 with an i5 and HD4400:

Edited by Kashif, 23 March 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#4 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostKashif, on 23 March 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

Not even at the lowest settings? I've seen a few videos of people playing Crysis 3 on ultrabooks with the same specs.

Average FPS 18 like he wrote is not enough for multiplayer. You don't play against bots who hardly take advantage of your bad performance. Furthermore you decide when to attack or not unlike in multiplayer games where the enemy isn't waiting for you.
A dual core with a very low clock speed of 1,8Ghz is not enough for this game.
For the price of a sub-notebook you get a very decent gaming notebook.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 23 March 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#5 Guchion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

to give it some perspective, I have a Macbook 13" Retina with Iris Graphics, which are substantially faster than the 4400 in that machine.
The core processor speed is not that important, but the turbo boost is for games that machine boosts upto 3ghz, mine goes up to 2.9 very similar.
I would say my machine is borderline playable at 720p.
The real killer for that machine is the 4400 has half the EU's as the Iris, that a massive decrease and ultimately the difference between playability and not.
In short, your going to need to find a similar model with Iris 5000 graphics at least to make it playable, and then its not amazing.

#6 Kashif

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 23 March 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

Average FPS 18 like he wrote is not enough for multiplayer. You don't play against bots who hardly take advantage of your bad performance. Furthermore you decide when to attack or not unlike in multiplayer games where the enemy isn't waiting for you.
A dual core with a very low clock speed of 1,8Ghz is not enough for this game.
For the price of a sub-notebook you get a very decent gaming notebook.

That isn't fun at all. I can't go for a gaming notebook sadly because I'll be needing something that looks a bit more impressive and professional than a gaming laptop. It won't give me similar battery life either. Most importantly, it'll be too heavy to tote around when I'm running between meetings.

View PostGuchion, on 23 March 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

to give it some perspective, I have a Macbook 13" Retina with Iris Graphics, which are substantially faster than the 4400 in that machine.
The core processor speed is not that important, but the turbo boost is for games that machine boosts upto 3ghz, mine goes up to 2.9 very similar.
I would say my machine is borderline playable at 720p.
The real killer for that machine is the 4400 has half the EU's as the Iris, that a massive decrease and ultimately the difference between playability and not.
In short, your going to need to find a similar model with Iris 5000 graphics at least to make it playable, and then its not amazing.

Hmmmm damn here I was hoping this thing could help me get through the few months till I get my rig transported. Thanks for the input guys. Need to find another ultrabook I guess :-/

#7 11kodiak11

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:20 AM

Get yourself an Alienware if you really want absolute gaming performance. I purchased an M17X on eBay which was about 6 months old and it is a great machine for gaming. I mainly use it for 3D CAD. 32GB RAM and dual graphic cards. The price......don't ask...... I was lucky to get it for $2300 but new....they aint cheap

#8 Kashif

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

View Post11kodiak11, on 23 March 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Get yourself an Alienware if you really want absolute gaming performance. I purchased an M17X on eBay which was about 6 months old and it is a great machine for gaming. I mainly use it for 3D CAD. 32GB RAM and dual graphic cards. The price......don't ask...... I was lucky to get it for $2300 but new....they aint cheap

Wish I could but can't. I can't carry an M17x into a corporate meeting :-/ Need something that looks more 'corporate'. Most importantly, I need better battery life. Have to go for an Ultrabook that can handle MWO. I'm stuck on this S7's design though.

#9 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

i can play MWO on my Ofiice Notebook with an Core i3 3110m (2,4GHz), 8 GB Ram and integrated HD 4000 graphic. http://mwomercs.com/...-core-i3-m3110/
By playable i mean 35 fps @ lowest setting, 1024x768.

Your CPU is a bit faster than mine. You got 2,7 GHz with Turbo on all cores vs. mine 2,4 GHz normal clock speed. The i7u is also just an dual core cpu with hyper threading, just with turbo boost and a bit more L3 cache.
But the limiting factor is the gpu. The HD4400 is ~30% faster than the older 4000.
So maybe you get playable frame rates in 720p on the lowest settings. Wouldn't bet much more.

Keep in mind that my notebook has only cost 350€ (~480$). For an 1800€ notebook the gaming performance is utterly terrible ^_^

#10 thatrobotguy

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

i managed to play the game with an i7-3610QM processor and an integrated HD 4000 card at about 25-30 fps, lowest settings, 720p resolution. stuck with it while i waited for my gaming laptop to RMA, it's bearable at best, but imo beats not playing period

Edited by thatrobotguy, 09 April 2014 - 12:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users