After 25, Noob Update

25 replies to this topic

#21 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostWretched XS, on 24 March 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

I was always under the impression that AMS was an absolute in lights & especially in a "scout" type loadout.

The Jenner is not a scout. The Jenner is a killer. Most builds can go slower/jump lower/run hotter/have less ammo or armor to fit AMS, but that is 1.5 tons on a light...

Edited by Modo44, 24 March 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#22 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Consider adding a NARC launcher and watch the rain from a whole different perspective. Put an LRM magnet on that Atlas D-DC.

#23 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

I notice that from the few builds shown in the thread that some feel its okay to forego AMS.
I was always under the impression that AMS was an absolute in lights & especially in a "scout" type loadout.

If you're going to leave AMS off anything, it's the lights that can do without it. You are small enough to use more things as cover, you have the speed to get to that cover (albeit less so with the recent changes), and... well, you can afford to give away 1.5 tons less than people building heavier mechs :-)

#24 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

AMS is useful, but not necessarily essential. I'd leave that up to the individual pilot though. Also, they can take down streaks if given enough range to work (i.e., the Streaktaro is not right on top of you)

#25 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Forgive my noobishness..
I notice that from the few builds shown in the thread that some feel its okay to forego AMS.
For myself, I try to fit AMS in everything I can.
I feel naked when I hear the "incoming missles" warning & don't hear the AMS firing.

btw, this is a JR7-FC loadout Ive been having some fun with. JR7-F© 2xERLL

One thing to consider, AMS will sometimes blow your cover in a light. My theory/experience is that my speed can get me to cover before the missiles arrive.

As far as Jenners, I do an -F with five ML and a -D with 2 ML, 2SL, 2 Streaks. Most often I try to keep near a 1.4 heat efficiency in lights...speed is life and ANY powerdowns are death.

For my -K, I ran 4 ML and one SRM4...but that was back in the day when Raven 3L's were king...at that point I was trying to play to the Jenner's strength which is maneuverability (JJs) and armament...it generally worked and I was usually able to crack the armor with the area effecting SRMs and then use the lasers to exploit. I ran the -D similarly but now that BAP cancels ECM I go with streaks.

#26 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 24 March 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

I was usually able to crack the armor with the area effecting SRMs

Ah the good old days of splash damage where an SRM6 could do 100 points of damage to some mechs with each salvo.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users