• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

So ...

What you guys think?

Is it a surprise that House Steiner wins the tourney?
Mariks played by far the most matches but only came 2nd.

2 best players belong (only ones to breach 2600) to Marik.
Both Mercs and Davions had people above 2500 while Steiners didn't but they still won.

Personally I love this ...
Merc Corps - 2nd least matches played ... 3rd place.
Lone Wolves - 2nd most matches played ... 2nd place ... starting from the end.

At least we know now the average quality of Lone Wolves 'faction' ... lol

Edit: Just for funzies ... here are the standings based on Score/Matches.

Davion 25.568
Mercs 24.743
Rasalhague 24.391
Liao 23.686
Steiner 21.958
Kurita 21.451
Lone Wolves 20.719
Marik 20.421

Interesting huh?

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 24 March 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#2 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

The rating of a team is based on the best 50 players, so actually dividing by the number of matches tells you how efficient those players were in obtaining that score only.

#3 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 24 March 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

The rating of a team is based on the best 50 players, so actually dividing by the number of matches tells you how efficient those players were in obtaining that score only.

Top 50 players in a faction seems like a fair sample size to me. I thought Kurita was going to do better.

#4 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

Indeed. But I can also say that I doubt that more than ~50 players in each faction actually grinded for it, aka played competitively. I know I've done about 20 games solo during these 3 days, been mostly getting basics on Banshees and su**ed pretty bad, still finished on a proud 101st place in Mercs ...

As I said, its mostly done for funzies I wouldn't put much thought into it. A great deal of players who could have been in those top 10s didn't play at all (as in didn't play the game for like half a year).

View PostSoulscour, on 24 March 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

Top 50 players in a faction seems like a fair sample size to me. I thought Kurita was going to do better.

Yep. Its that 'top tier competitive' bunch.

#5 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

what is a surprise is marik came 2nd :)
well done atlases, i guess it's the ecm? ;)

seems it would help in this lurm storm we're going thru

#6 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:47 AM

Yeah, that's a crap metric... but it's less of a crap metric than total score for the top 50. I'd love to see total score and total matches for all entrants, that would give a far better idea of the average skill of all participating players within a faction.

EDIT: Even though it's a crap metric, I'm going to brag about Davion winning in score/matches for the top 50. That's how I roll.

Edited by StillRadioactive, 24 March 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#7 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

It's fun when there are multiple ways to analyze the data. I have no problem with you claiming a moral victory.

#8 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Dividing the score by 500 (top 50 players and their top 10 matches) gets you this, which feels closer. Not that big of a spread between the top and bottom, basically one extra assist per match:
STEINER 213.7 MARIK 210.1 MERC CORPS 209.1 DAVION 208.7 KURITA 208.6 RASALHAGUE 208.2 LONE WOLVES 204.8 LIAO 202.3

#9 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 24 March 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

Dividing the score by 500 (top 50 players and their top 10 matches) gets you this, which feels closer. Not that big of a spread between the top and bottom, basically one extra assist per match:
STEINER 213.7 MARIK 210.1 MERC CORPS 209.1 DAVION 208.7 KURITA 208.6 RASALHAGUE 208.2 LONE WOLVES 204.8 LIAO 202.3

It still fails to take into account the amount of matches required to achieve those top 50 scores. I can certainly say allot of other pilots drop 3 times more often then I did!

#10 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Most of the top 50 in Steiner scored over 2,000 points we did it in less matches than those purple techno snobs.

Like any Cross Country Race run in a American High school you can have 2 or 3 runners place in the top 5 But if the rest of the team comes in 20th and below. Your going to lose buy total points.

So while your top ten to 25 did great. You must have had some people 25 to 50th that were below 1900 to as low as 1850.

I am really surprised I thought all the houses would get blown away by the Lone Wolfs.

Steiner recruitment has been strong. We accept any Lone Wolf who wins a battle for our house. While we might be Big and bulky we get the job done. We also love giving the rest of the factions a good fisting.

Posted Image

It does sadden me that our fellow allies of Davion did so poorly. I will have to take that up with them at the next charity ball. However the Federated Comonwealth can share in our victory without the spoils of eating the cake that goes along with it.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 24 March 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#11 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

One thing that the scores and my standings tell me is that most of the really good players either didn`t opt in (on time), have quit, or just flat out weren´t on this weekend.

I suck pretty bad, and I played, what, 15 matches in my HM on Friday and another 5 or 10 on Sunday, and still ranked 14th with 2,126 (lone wolves). Spent most of the weekend with a bro ruining people`s day with LRMs, instead.

2,400 used to be the score to pass even get on the leaderboard. Now, I know scoring isn`t the same as it used to be, but the variations in just the leaderboards of most of the factions used to be smaller, as well....

I dunno, something just felt really off this weekend...

That said, I actually expected the Lone Wolves to dominate just by pure number, but apparently the cutoff time really screwed quite a few people over....

Either way, congrats Steiners :)

Edited by Zerberus, 24 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#12 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 892 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostMonsoon, on 24 March 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

It still fails to take into account the amount of matches required to achieve those top 50 scores. I can certainly say allot of other pilots drop 3 times more often then I did!

I tend to agree here, to a certain extent. Just eye-balling the numbers, Stiener's #10 has a higher score than the other #10 players. To me, this suggests that the Steiners would have the best overall players (duh, that's why they won). But, having played 800 more matches, there's a greater potential for better matches. Heck, we've all had matches that exceed the 250-270 mark, but for whatever reason not everyone had the time nor consistency to get 10 of those matches.

What's also not factored in, is how many people switched from their home faction trying to figure which faction might offer the least amount of competition. Also, which faction did most of the Clanners side with? Either way, congrats to winners!

#13 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostZerberus, on 24 March 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

One thing that the scores and my standings tell me is that most of the really good players either didn`t opt in (on time), have quit, or just flat out weren´t on this weekend.

I suck pretty bad, and I played, what, 15 matches in my HM on Friday and another 5 or 10 on Sunday, and still ranked 14th with 2,126 (lone wolves). Spent most of the weekend with a bro ruining people`s day with LRMs, instead.

2,400 used to be the score to pass even get on the leaderboard. Now, I know scoring isn`t the same as it used to be, but the variations in just the leaderboards of most of the factions used to be smaller, as well....

I dunno, something just felt really off this weekend...

That said, I actually expected the Lone Wolves to dominate just by pure number, but apparently the cutoff time really screwed quite a few people over....

Either way, congrats Steiners :)

One, you apparently don't suck.
Two, I agree the scores don't seem as impressive as I expected.
Three, yes, maybe everyone went off to play Titanfall...
Four, I thought the Lone Wolves would do more, but there didn't seem to be as many opting in as I would have thought. I expected much higher match counts.

#14 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Just for the record, I came in 52nd for STN with 2025 (and I only played about 3 hours total to get that score). Everyone in top 50 for STN then had higher than 2K, you don't have to guess.

Also, the stat above does not show the average score for anyone in a faction. The way it is calculated here will always give the group with more players a lower score. If you had the TOTAL score for all players, knowing the number of drops, then you could figure out the actual average score. But, we don't have a total score for every match played by everyone.

#15 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

I expected Kurita to do better, too. We were all over the place in terms of ranking, from 2nd to 7th and anywhere inbetween.

It was a dumb tournament anyway. :)

#16 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

It was soul crushingly disappointing to see the FRR go from 2nd place to near the bottom :D.

Our Ghost Bear masters are going to be so disappointed...

#17 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

The only reason I placed on Davion top 10 was because I tried to troll the tournament... I support Kurita, but wanted to show up on the Davion board with a Kurita emblem. Sadly, as soon as you make it into the top 10, your emblem changes to that faction even if it's currently set to a difference faction :D

(snapshot early on before I got into top10, notice the emblem, doesn't stay like that lol)
Posted Image

I like the different ways to analyze the data, and agree that the amount of matches should have been reflected in the final score somehow, not because I care about being in a winning faction, it just makes sense to use that number to show effort vs. skill

Also, when do we get our MC prizes? lol

Edited by Solahma, 25 March 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#18 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

I do not want to start another useless topic, but I'm still curuious: WHERE IS MY PROMISED FACTION BANNER?

#19 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

I was surprised there wasn't a larger disparity in the number of matches played by each faction.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, on 25 March 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

I do not want to start another useless topic, but I'm still curuious: WHERE IS MY PROMISED FACTION BANNER?

most likely will come with the Patch...

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users