Lrm's Are Not Op, But....

9 replies to this topic

#1 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

They're really, really boring. Did the game really need more focus placed on ECM and cowering behind cover?

Yes, I know how to not die to them (unless I'm in my direct-fire Banshee, that seems to get reliably LRM'd to death, and has been shelved for the time being), but the solution seems to be to stand behind a wall (a very tall one, smaller structures that cover you only seem to work 50% of the time) and pop out for a few seconds at a time, hug a DDC Atlas, or join the trend and stare at a wall, pressing R and F1 until enemies stop moving. Either way, it feels more non-interactive (as distinct from OP) than even the dark days of snipertown did.

That's all I wanted to say. Forum warriors, get to misreading this as "ZOMGNERF", if you choose. :)

Edited by Accursed Richards, 24 March 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#2 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Yes they are... also it changed the entire dynamic of the game. Bye bye brawling... bye bye coming out... by small or med lasers even. Now its a ****** up game. This weekend proved to be the most disappointing weekend I have ever played the game... sure the premade thing sucks... but this is nothing compared to re out fitting all your mechs with AMS and then not going out to fire on anyone.

4 or 5 LRM boats and you are one shotted.. (by each mind you)... and pretty much that was it. I have never seen so many complaints in the game... never seen so many people saying how bad it is... and worse.. SEEING THE SAME PEOPLE too many times in drops.

I fear the population is getting smaller and the ideas are getting worse. Someone tell me the good it did for this fix and support it with some sort of logic because this one was flat out stupid and NOT needed. I can think of 5 more things to fix first before adding speed to LRMs.

#3 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostIskareot, on 24 March 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

Yes they are... also it changed the entire dynamic of the game. Bye bye brawling... bye bye coming out... by small or med lasers even. Now its a ****** up game. This weekend proved to be the most disappointing weekend I have ever played the game... sure the premade thing sucks... but this is nothing compared to re out fitting all your mechs with AMS and then not going out to fire on anyone.

4 or 5 LRM boats and you are one shotted.. (by each mind you)... and pretty much that was it. I have never seen so many complaints in the game... never seen so many people saying how bad it is... and worse.. SEEING THE SAME PEOPLE too many times in drops.

I fear the population is getting smaller and the ideas are getting worse. Someone tell me the good it did for this fix and support it with some sort of logic because this one was flat out stupid and NOT needed. I can think of 5 more things to fix first before adding speed to LRMs.

Fix SRMs before buffing LRMs. :)

#4 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

Much needed buff

Too fast

Far too much spam

Will get better

TL:DR version of my other thread post...

#5 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostAccursed Richards, on 24 March 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

They're really, really boring. Did the game really need more focus placed on ECM and cowering behind cover?

Yes, I know how to not die to them (unless I'm in my direct-fire Banshee, that seems to get reliably LRM'd to death, and has been shelved for the time being), but the solution seems to be to stand behind a wall (a very tall one, smaller structures that cover you only seem to work 50% of the time) and pop out for a few seconds at a time, hug a DDC Atlas, or join the trend and stare at a wall, pressing R and F1 until enemies stop moving.

That's all I wanted to say. Forum warriors, get to misreading this as "ZOMGNERF", if you choose. :)

No offense OP but comments like this makes the back of my neck bristle up...

I "get it"... folks like to brawl. I do as much as anyone as well... In fact half my front-line mechs are brawlers.

That said, the premise that big-stompy robots be devoid of tactic because they are "big stompy robots" smacks of myopacy.

Regardless of the genre, the tactical use of cover / concealment... skulking around and ambushing and or flanking maneuvers are completely germane to battlefield combat.

I shudder to imagine a day where MW:O would be reduced back into 5 minute long circles of death trying to leg each.

Edited by DaZur, 24 March 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#6 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostDaZur, on 24 March 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Regardless of the genre, the tactical use of cover / concealment... skulking around and ambushing and or flanking maneuvers are completely germane to battlefield combat.

Than there should be more urban maps with more usable cover. None of that Alpine Peaks bullshit which is just wide open spaces. Or Caustic which is just about open in the middle around the crater.

#7 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostCharlie Pohr, on 24 March 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

Than there should be more urban maps with more usable cover. None of that Alpine Peaks bullshit which is just wide open spaces. Or Caustic which is just about open in the middle around the crater.

Absolutely no argument from me on this point... Topology needs to be designed to accommodate all play-styles lest we net what we have now... Maps that cater heavily to ranged sniping and LRM suppression.

Having said that... I'm a pseudo-strategist at heart. In battle, the participants rarely have the latitude to dictate the terms of engagement. This is why a lot of historical battles were over the possession of a specific piece of land that usually inferred advantage to the victor.

I know it's a little preachy but if players took a moment and actually thought out the engagement, utilized their scouts to determine enemy movement and used that information to mount offensives, the game would be a lot more enjoyable...

Sadly, everyone is in a big hurry to race in a straight line to some arbitrary centrist spot and trade blows until a single victor is standing. ;) :)

Edited by DaZur, 24 March 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#8 Poppaukko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 236 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostSolahma, on 24 March 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Much needed buff

Too fast

Far too much spam

Will get better

TL:DR version of my other thread post...

I'm sorry.

Posted Image

#9 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

LOL.