To Khan Or Not To Khan?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Mezlo Steele

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 120 posts
  • LocationRelentless Pursuit Vincent Mk.42-class Corvette. Inbound to the Inner Sphere

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hail Trothkin

Yes I know we are the new kids on the block,so to speak. Though I watched the whole youtube presentation on community warfare,I am left with an idea that there will be no Khans. Now I know I started out as calling myself a Khan and after the German Coyotes woke up to say I am not their Khan,it gave me time to really think about the whole situation. Now The Inner Sphere Factions will all be led by NPC Leaders of said factions to hand out missions to all that want to gain loyalty points of a certain faction. Well then will it not be the same for the Clan factions,I am by no means trying to burst anyone's bubble. Will they really allow player run units to be the Khans of a whole clan,this is why I thought it would be best to call myself Galaxy Commander. I am however curious to how everyone else thinks this whole thing will happen. Does every clan unit that is active believe that they will have a Khan as a player or a NPC?

Galaxy Command Mezlo Steele

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Exactly. If the head of the factions in the IS are NPC, then the head of the factions in the Clans should be NPC as well. It simply follows. As such, technically nobody should be anything more than a GCom. Liberties are already being taken by (no doubt) most Clans out there with a designated Lore or Oathmaster, but considering they do not dictate Clan military action it is probably a less critical issue to adhere to, all things considered. Khan/SaKhan, however, seems a bit too egotistical a title to claim for oneself, in my opinion anyways, as it implies you lead an entire clan, as opposed to a section of a clan which is the actuality of the situation.

Star Colonel Pariah Devalis

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 March 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

My guess, based on the fairly straightforward comments by PGI on the subject (which is rare in and of itself imo), is that since players will not control factions, no one will ultimately be able to be a Khan. At least not initially. CW may involve in someway where players eventually rule the Great Houses and the Clans but I doubt it.

Ultimately it is pixels. If someone wants to claim they are Khan, feel free. They will not necessarily have the deference from other parties that position would normally have, nor will units follow them besides their own and undoubtedly others will claim the same Khanships....Khan is such a great sounding title so its hard to resist lol. But in the end it does not make much of a difference outside of ego and RPing.

For example, our Galaxy recognizes no Khan currently. Other organizations get around this by being predominately EU orgs vice NA orgs so they have a timezone and or language barrier insulating them.

Others have traditional unit designations and others carry related names outside of canon (CSJ and Steel jags or CDS and Diamond Shiver for examples).

#4 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostMezlo Steele, on 24 March 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Hail Trothkin

Yes I know we are the new kids on the block,so to speak. Though I watched the whole youtube presentation on community warfare,I am left with an idea that there will be no Khans. Now I know I started out as calling myself a Khan and after the German Coyotes woke up to say I am not their Khan,it gave me time to really think about the whole situation. Now The Inner Sphere Factions will all be led by NPC Leaders of said factions to hand out missions to all that want to gain loyalty points of a certain faction. Well then will it not be the same for the Clan factions,I am by no means trying to burst anyone's bubble. Will they really allow player run units to be the Khans of a whole clan,this is why I thought it would be best to call myself Galaxy Commander. I am however curious to how everyone else thinks this whole thing will happen. Does every clan unit that is active believe that they will have a Khan as a player or a NPC?

Galaxy Command Mezlo Steele

You are your own man with your own Clan trothkin. I cannot tell you what to do. I can suggest however that you go no higher than Galaxy Commander. I am expecting the Khans to be NPCs & as such you will save yourself the headache. Additionally should there be other units with the same brand (as you have seen in your case) there will be no arguments. You can both represent the same Clan as different Galaxies. It is up to you however.

We Ghost Bears go as high as Galaxy Commander ourselves & this has been so for some time. Having the foresight of Jorgensson helps. :)

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 24 March 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#5 EarlGrey83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

The Khans should be NPCs, I can not believe PGI handling this matter different from the IS side.

But who would want to be a Khan anyways? Even the leaders of the Clans have to deal with things like politics. Disgusting.
I´m happy to earn honor for my Clan on the frontlines. :)

#6 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

You can call yourself a Khan, Marshall, Caesar, whatever. But note that all these claims are empty without the recognition of your fellow Clansmen.

PS: Clan titles are earned, not self-proclaimed.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostEarlGrey83, on 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

The Khans should be NPCs, I can not believe PGI handling this matter different from the IS side.

But who would want to be a Khan anyways? Even the leaders of the Clans have to deal with things like politics. Disgusting.
I´m happy to earn honor for my Clan on the frontlines. :)

Sadly, the absence of Khans does not mean the absence of politics. Only that instead of being handled by two, it is handled by committee. At least, that is how it is in CNC.

#8 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 March 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

You can call yourself a Khan, Marshall, Caesar, whatever. But note that all these claims are empty without the recognition of your fellow Clansmen.

PS: Clan titles are earned, not self-proclaimed.

Well said, sir!

Posted Image

#9 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Indeed, I agree that self proclaimed Khans are no better than anyone else...in our Galaxy, our keshik is elected. Khan and SaKhan and Loremaster and Oathmaster were all elected by the warrior caste. I was initially hesitant to accept the nomination, though I was overwhelmingly voted in, so under such circumstances, I found myself more reluctant not to step up when so many had faith in me to lead them.

It is a double edged sword you are walking on to be sure, however, there are some lore instances where there were 2 Khans inside the same clan, Phelan Ward and Natasha Kerensky come instantly to mind for example as both serving as Khan in the same time frame.

I am not sure how this will be handled, but the organizational structure for logistics and tactics/strategy inside a Clan unit still need someone filling the function that a non-NPC Khan would...you can title them how you wish...the job is the same.

EDIT: I am discovering more and more each day how much politics really is prevalent in this game, much to my disdain. However, I suppose any time you put a group of people trying to work with separate coordinated units...the multi-headed serpent that is politics will find a place somewhere.

Edited by Gyrok, 24 March 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#10 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Last time i checked Phelan Ward was a SaKhan..

#11 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Which is still a Khan, just a junior one.

For the record Gyrok, that is how it is in ALL Clans.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 24 March 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#12 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 24 March 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Which is still a Khan, just a junior one.

Sure, but he made it sound like having two Khans is an exception.. :)

#13 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

YOU can be a Khan - just fork over $500 for a Gold Khan Clan package!

#14 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

"It is a double edged sword you are walking on to be sure, however, there are some lore instances where there were 2 Khans inside the same clan, Phelan Ward and Natasha Kerensky come instantly to mind for example as both serving as Khan in the same time frame".-Gyrok

It does sound that way but that was more of an example, or am i misunderstanding the situation?

View PostDocBach, on 24 March 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

YOU can be a Khan - just fork over $500 for a Gold Khan Clan package!

lol :)

#15 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 24 March 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Last time i checked Phelan Ward was a SaKhan..

Right up until Natasha Kerensky died at least

#16 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 24 March 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Sure, but he made it sound like having two Khans is an exception.. :)

I know. That is why I amended my post.

#17 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Politics between units in this game are really only prevalent if you allow them to be.

There is literally nothing tying us together outside of the game. What one unit does really has no real impact on another since we are fighting over nothing. There are no planets to fight over, no interdependent economies, no limited resources (besides perhaps pilots). If you find yourself embroiled in actual politics (and I do not mean a simple argument on something), ask yourself if its important for you or your uits enjoyment of the game. Becauses in the end, no one really has much in the way of real leverage over another in this game. Its not a true sandbox.

#18 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Here is my answer:

#19 Mezlo Steele

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 120 posts
  • LocationRelentless Pursuit Vincent Mk.42-class Corvette. Inbound to the Inner Sphere

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yes I understand the fact that Khan is not a title that one can just take. I also understand very well how the Clans work as I have played Battletech from when it started and then mechwarrior when that handbook came out so you could actually RP it. Now that being said,Every clan in existence today started with either one person or a group getting together saying hey let us form a clan. I do believe that is how Nicholas Kerensky did it,unfortunately we do not have him with us to do so now. So that means we (Those who decide to take on such a task) are left to our own devices on how a Khan or Leader is chosen. So before anyone tries to explain to me how my unit should do it,when it was started by two individuals then look inward to how you formed your own units. With that being said in our website is our own RP history of how we were started,because remember our units should not be cannon units they should really be our own. This is why I chose Omega Galaxy for our name as it does not exist in Clan Coyote Touman,therefore we can write our own legacy which is what every role playing gamer wants.

Galaxy Commander Mezlo Steele

#20 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Within your own unit. The rank of Khan is perfectly acceptable. The Khan is the 'leader' of that Clan. They rarely have defacto power, but they can make a decision in haste if needed, but more often the matter is decided upon council.

As stated, CGB has Galaxy Commander as the top rank. I am technically our Theta Galaxy GalCom, but as it is not really a unit, but more placeholder for reserve members, on 'vacation' members, sibkin and a temp home for the new Warriors while they wait for a Cluster to give them a home. I use the rank of Oathmaster primarily.

We look at it as the Khan and saKhan are NPC and controlled by PGI.. and honourarily a member of ours that has past on is our Khan in spirit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users