Amd’S Mantle Api Adopted By Crytek

30 replies to this topic

#1 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Maybe just maybe MWO will support this soon :D

Another milestone for the Mantle graphics API has been reached with the addition of Crytek and its game development engine, CRYENGINE

SUNNYVALE, Calif. —3/19/2014
AMD (NYSE: AMD) this week announced that Crytek and AMD have entered into a technology partnership that will add native Mantle graphics API support to CRYENGINE®. CRYENGINE is the latest iteration of the industry-leading game engine that has powered Crytek gaming titles since 2004.
AMD’s Mantle API makes creating games for the PC more efficient than ever. Launched in September 2013, Mantle works by streamlining communication between a gamer’s CPU and GPU. By alleviating communication bottlenecks and making efficient use of existing PC hardware, Mantle helps improve overall game performance.
“AMD is delighted to bring Mantle support to the enormous audience of gamers and game developers reached by Crytek’s CRYENGINE,” said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV gaming and alliances, AMD. “Together, AMD and Crytek are forging a path for the graphics industry that better utilizes gamers’ advanced AMD GPUs through ‘closer-to-the-metal’ API design.”
The potent combination of Mantle and CRYENGINE empowers game developers to accelerate PC development and extract unprecedented gaming performance, exclusively from AMD products with Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.
“Crytek prides itself on enabling CRYENGINE with the latest and most impressive rendering capabilities,” said Cevat Yerli, Founder, CEO & President of Crytek. “By integrating AMD’s new Mantle API, CRYENGINE will gain a dimension of ‘lower level’ hardware access that enables extraordinary efficiency, performance and hardware control.”
The inclusion of AMD’s Mantle API will now allow CRYENGINE licensees to ready their development studios for a future increasingly focused on the ‘closer-to-the-metal’ vision that AMD has pioneered.

#2 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

And for the rest of us, we'll just have to wait about two years ><

http://anandtech.com...omes-to-directx

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:49 AM

Well, at least from what I heard, most DX11 capable hardware will also be DX12 capable, as there wont be much new functionality in the new version. It's more like a technology update to existing functions.

Mantle on CE?
Well, we might see it in MWO in a year or two. I don't expect it anytime soon. I believe it's to much effort to work on three rendering paths simultanously for such a small team.

#4 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I just hope it gets implemented soon as I am getting horrible dips of 11-13fps and my gpu usage goes as low as 43%. I'm on a FX8350 with 5.06ghz overclock and 7970 with 1200 core / 1607 mem overclock. MWO is installed on my Hyper X SSD and I have 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 1866 OC'd to 2012.

#5 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Nick, have you tried backing off the overclock?

I've seen it mentioned that sometimes it helps.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but sometimes thread-heavy apps have trouble with overclocked and barely stable(by this engine's standards) cpus.

#6 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Run your cpu at stock speeds it should help with your problem of dips. My nephews system I built uses the same processor and a r9 280x at stock speeds and at 1600 res it was rock stable but this was before christmas using direct x 9. The game for some reason does like oc cpu as the person above me stated but they do have a lot of work to do on Direct X 11 though.

#7 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I heard in the last podcast that PGI licenced a specific version of this engine, a version that was the first to implement DX11. There are newer versions of the engine but sounds like PGI only gets access to the one. Not entirely sure but I think that means no Mantle, at least for now.

APIs like Mantle has been done before, like Glide for 3DFX. Nvidia can't use it unless they bow and grovel to AMD, which wont happen, so I doubt Mantle will make a big impact in the PC world.

Mantle is here because of the environment Microsoft created. Microsoft has been criticized lately for their lack of development of the DirectX API. Mantle being 30% faster means money for game developers and AMD. If Mantle becomes popular then Nvidia will release a low level API of their own to increase their competitiveness. Intel would use DX but essentially 3D acceleration would be back to where it started. Microsoft doesn't want any of this since the demise of DX would weaken Windows so the good news is Mantle is driving Microsoft to take a more serious approach with DX and we should see some of that in DX12.

Edited by Assmodeus, 28 March 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#8 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:31 AM

Nvidia would be substantially behind starting their own API after Mantle is already developed, refined and established. If Nvidia started today they'd be behind. Hell if they finished in a few months they'd be behind. Mantle's already snagged a big portion of the major games and engines.

IMO, this is going to be between DX12 and Mantle.

Edited by Catamount, 29 March 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#9 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have tried to back it off at 4.0 ghz stock but it gave me worse dips. I get dips of 11-13 @5.0ghz and 8-10 @4.0ghz no matter if it's low or very high graphic settings.

This is the only game that I play that made me wish I had an Intel / Nvidia combo. All the other games specially BF4 and Metro LL are butter.

#10 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

Nick, don't be too quick to curse that hardware. If you're getting dips into the low 10s at 5ghz on an 8350, your problem is NOT your raw computer performance. Either your MWO install is borked, you have some driver issue, or some other -likely software- interaction is taking place somewhere to make this game perform massively worse than it should. Basically I think it's a bug somewhere. This isn't uncommon, either. MWO has weird inconsistent performance across machines, sometimes even performing better in slower machines than faster machines (I've seen dozens of cases of that since CB)

You are using DX9, right? DX11 in this game is borked right now. FWIW, your AMD GPU might be saving you headache. Historically, it's Nvidia cards this game has hated most often.

Edited by Catamount, 29 March 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#11 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostCatamount, on 29 March 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Nick, don't be too quick to curse that hardware. If you're getting dips into the low 10s at 5ghz on an 8350, your problem is NOT your raw computer performance. Either your MWO install is borked, you have some driver issue, or some other -likely software- interaction is taking place somewhere to make this game perform massively worse than it should. Basically I think it's a bug somewhere. This isn't uncommon, either. MWO has weird inconsistent performance across machines, sometimes even performing better in slower machines than faster machines (I've seen dozens of cases of that since CB)

You are using DX9, right? DX11 in this game is borked right now. FWIW, your AMD GPU might be saving you headache. Historically, it's Nvidia cards this game has hated most often.

I get the same dips be it dx9 or 11. GPU utilization dips to a low 42% and frame time variance is all over the place. It seems that it's very CPU bound because it just did horribly when I down clocked it to 4ghz. Ironically, I run Crysis 3 ultra settings at 1080P like butter. Isn't this game based on the same Cryengine 3? I'll try to disable some cores and see if I can squeeze it to 5.4ghz and see if it helps.

#12 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostNick Rarang, on 30 March 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

I get the same dips be it dx9 or 11. GPU utilization dips to a low 42% and frame time variance is all over the place. It seems that it's very CPU bound because it just did horribly when I down clocked it to 4ghz. Ironically, I run Crysis 3 ultra settings at 1080P like butter. Isn't this game based on the same Cryengine 3? I'll try to disable some cores and see if I can squeeze it to 5.4ghz and see if it helps.

Take screenies, when you get her screaming @ 5.4ghz. What MOBO(VRMs?) and cooling are you using?

#13 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 30 March 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

Take screenies, when you get her screaming @ 5.4ghz. What MOBO(VRMs?) and cooling are you using?

I'm using Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 called with Thermaltake Frio OCK with all both CPU 130mm fans spinning @ 2300 rpm. The case is Thermaltake Level 10 GTS with 2 x 200mm, 1 x 140 mm, and 4 x 120 mm fans. I have 1x200mm, 1x140mm, 2 x 120 mm as intake and 1 X 200mm, 1 x 120 mm as exhaust; and 1 x 120 mm in case fan to eliminate static air flow. It's a bit loud for most people but that's the price to pay for speed. It's fully stable at 5.0 ghz on all eight cores for more than a year now. I haven't fiddled with the bios up until I down clocked it to 4.0ghz just to see if my overclock was keeping things unstable. My highest OC on all 4 modules was 5.2 so I MIGHT hit 5.4 with 2 modules disabled.

#14 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

Again, it's not your hardware performance, Nick. Milking less than 10% more clock speed out of your CPU is only going to improve those minimums by less than 10%. So maybe instead of 15fps, it becomes 16 or 17.

The core problem that needs to be tackled isn't that your system is slow, because it isn't. It's that you're getting far worse performance than far slower systems. People with massively inferior CPU setups don't report minimums in the low-mid teens, including Piledriver chips, even 8350s, and believe me, we have no shortage of sample size there. Hundreds of threads have discussed performance with probably thousands of discussed systems, and many new threads come up every month, usually in spurts every few patches, and sure, performance has degraded ever since 12 mans, but it has not trended anywhere close to where you are with fps/system performance.

Your system is fast enough, MWO as a program is just running anamolously slow for your setup, a very common problem. Tackle it as such. I would try updating drivers and reinstalling the game for starters. There are threads out there on better optimizing the game, user-side, if that doesn't work. You can try the OC if you want, but unless your hardware is just throttling somewhere, I can tell you right now that hardware-side changes will be if little to no help. Hell, at 5gz, your CPU is probably almost as fast, core for core, as mine, and I get minimums four times higher than yours. So do most people with stock or modestly OCed Piledriver chips on the higher end.

Edited by Catamount, 30 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

I think you people are overestimating those API's a little when it comes to MWO
Hell I think dx12 or mantle would give incredible boosts in this game, it's a CPU hog alright

They give developers low level access to hardware
Developers that can code for such things

it's been taking forever to bring DX11 support online

I may be too negative here, but I'd bet that such low level access is quite too far ahead for PGI, the engine needs to be updated to a newer version again
That took like 2 years last time or so
Then properly implemented

At this point I think it's good to underestimate PGI on things, might end up disappointed otherwise

If they can great, would work wonders on my i5 as well

#16 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostCatamount, on 30 March 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Again, it's not your hardware performance, Nick. Milking less than 10% more clock speed out of your CPU is only going to improve those minimums by less than 10%. So maybe instead of 15fps, it becomes 16 or 17.

The core problem that needs to be tackled isn't that your system is slow, because it isn't. It's that you're getting far worse performance than far slower systems. People with massively inferior CPU setups don't report minimums in the low-mid teens, including Piledriver chips, even 8350s, and believe me, we have no shortage of sample size there. Hundreds of threads have discussed performance with probably thousands of discussed systems, and many new threads come up every month, usually in spurts every few patches, and sure, performance has degraded ever since 12 mans, but it has not trended anywhere close to where you are with fps/system performance.

Your system is fast enough, MWO as a program is just running anamolously slow for your setup, a very common problem. Tackle it as such. I would try updating drivers and reinstalling the game for starters. There are threads out there on better optimizing the game, user-side, if that doesn't work. You can try the OC if you want, but unless your hardware is just throttling somewhere, I can tell you right now that hardware-side changes will be if little to no help. Hell, at 5gz, your CPU is probably almost as fast, core for core, as mine, and I get minimums four times higher than yours. So do most people with stock or modestly OCed Piledriver chips on the higher end.

I'm reinstalling MWO in my SSD to see if it changes anything. I'm currently using Catalyst 14.3 which is the latest from AMD. One user suggested that I try 13.12 which was a pre mantle driver. I also play BF4 which I run on Mantle flawlessly so I wonder if the older pre mantle drivers are better.

#17 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hmm, that's possible. MWO has occasionally been driver-finicky so yeah, absolutely try rolling back. I'm using 13.12 and my performance is quite good.

If it is the later drivers, hopefully AMD and/or PGI will fix that soon so you can get decent performance and Mantle :)

Edited by Catamount, 30 March 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#18 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostCatamount, on 30 March 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Hmm, that's possible. MWO has occasionally been driver-finicky so yeah, absolutely try rolling back. I'm using 13.12 and my performance is quite good.

If it is the later drivers, hopefully AMD and/or PGI will fix that soon so you can get decent performance and Mantle :ph34r:

Well I just did both. I rolled back to whql 13.12 drivers as well as re installed the game and it still gives me the same performance. oh well.....

#19 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hmm. Sadly that has often been the case. We've never been able to nail down MWO's wildly inconsistent performance across similar systems, despite how long fixes have been developed and attempted, partly because the problem seems to be a moving target, sometimes simple things like getting out of fullscreen or getting rid of the film grain filter, sometimes more complicated configuration changes.

You're sure that CPU is stable and not throttling somehow (I admit I don't know much about how Piledriver chips behave)? If you run Prime95, for example, does it stay stable and at whatever clock you set for OC? If you can eliminate that it's definitely software side, so if so I'd go to one of the many threads on tweaking MWO's performance in the configuration files.

#20 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Wouldn't hope for mantle support in an nvidia sponsored game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users