Concerning Planned Autocannon Adjustments

1 reply to this topic

Poll: Concerning Planned Autocannon Fix (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that the Autocannons need fixing

1. Yes (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No, Please don't fix (3 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I understand that the developers intend to reduce the effectiveness of the Auto Cannons because in “their opinion the auto cannons are doing better than their expectations.” I believe that the autocannons are doing just fine as is, although the AC10 and AC 20 fire too slowly for comfort, especially when you are coming under PPC fire. The AC2 and AC5 appear to be working just fine, and a “Fix” is not required.

Mechs armed with autocannons are popular, if not favored on the battlefield when compared to those whose primary weapons system depends upon missiles because of ECM. If you are running a missile armed Mech, you might as well be spitting into the wind as soon as someone with ECM comes along. Because of the effectiveness of ECM, the statistical base of autocannons may be misrepresented when compared to other weapon systems.

Also if I may add, several players dislike Mechs armed with missiles, considering the use thereof as just a hair above cheating. Some players are fairly good at lining up their shots, while others have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn. If you can hit your target, great, but if you miss with an autocannon you just wasted a shot. Their have been matches where more than one player has congratulated another player on their ability to “teach that hillside a lesson” as a fair percentage of their shots miss their intended target. I'm not talking about covering fire, I'm talking about a flat out miss when trying to hit a target. Sometimes the only way to hit an Atlas with an cannon shot is at point blank range with the pilot of the opposing Mech looking straight down the barrel.

Thank you

Edited by Kalimaster, 26 March 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#2 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

First of all, I needed a magnifying glass to read your post, 12 points or more please.

View PostKalimaster, on 26 March 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

the AC10 and AC 20 fire too slowly for comfort, especially when you are coming under PPC fire.

Absolutely.

Mechs armed with autocannons are popular, if not favored on the battlefield when compared to those whose primary weapons system depends upon missiles because of ECM. If you are running a missile armed Mech, you might as well be spitting into the wind as soon as someone with ECM comes along. Because of the effectiveness of ECM, the statistical base of autocannons may be misrepresented when compared to other weapon systems.

ECM has always been unbalanced and we've known this.

Also if I may add, several players dislike Mechs armed with missiles, considering the use thereof as just a hair above cheating. Some players are fairly good at lining up their shots, while others have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn. If you can hit your target, great, but if you miss with an autocannon you just wasted a shot.

Hold the phone. MWO is supposed to be a tactical shooter. In fact, I thought the selling point was "a thinking person's shooter" not "a person with really good aim's shooter".

High damage rapid fire pinpoint coupled with an infinite skill ceiling is the problem, not "autocannons".

edit: removed my rant, nobody'll pay attention anyways.

Edited by Techorse, 26 March 2014 - 04:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users