Best And Worst Looking Mechs In Mwo? (In Game Models, Not Concept Art)

BattleMechs

79 replies to this topic

#61 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sadly, while I still love it, the Awesome looks like shit. The concept art for it was how it should have been proportioned, as the ingame model is too wide for it to be as effective as other assaults. Had it the same proportions as the concept art, it would have been a staple mech.

I think they really nailed the Hunchback and Trebuchet in terms of looks, they look great.

#62 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 March 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

actually, hate the bubble raven. But the sleeker one looks a little TOO long and skinny, IMO.

Eh.. the length is about right.

Posted Image

vs

Posted Image

This is the best comparison angle that I can come up with between the two. The only real difference, other than the width of the back of the chassis, is the length of the SRM tubes in the middle.

Edited by Foxfire, 28 March 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#63 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostFoxfire, on 28 March 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Eh.. the length is about right.

Posted Image

vs

Posted Image

This is the best comparison angle that I can come up with between the two. The only real difference, other than the width of the back of the chassis, is the length of the SRM tubes in the middle.

Wow alex drew the raven really close to this illustration huh. now that they are side by side i can see that.

I prefer this one though

Posted Image

plus it wasn't oversized in MW4 like it is in MWO

#64 Olunn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Perhaps it's just me, but the more a mech resembles a humanoid the more ugly I feel it is. Which is why in my opinion I find the majority of the Inner Sphere mechs fugly. That doesn't mean I don't love them, their clunky ruggedness is part of the appeal. On that note, I am an absolute fan of the clan mech designs. Most have chicken legs and look sleeker than their IS counterparts. I'm aware we haven't seen much of the in game models and I'm a little OT, but there, I had to say it. Most IS mechs be fugly.

#65 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

lights- favorite- Locust, Jenner. least- Commando, firestarter
medium- favorite- Blackjacks (C'mon it's a baby Jager), Hunchies. least- Trebbie, shadowhawk
heavy- favorite- Catapult, Jager. least- quickdraw, thunderbolt
assault- favorite- atlas. least- battlemaster

#66 s5134195

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, Nova Scotia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Best looking? It's always been the Hunchback to me. As long as there's some clear defining feature, and not just a bunch of blocks slapped together, I generally like the 'Mech. Shadowhawk (minus the height), Firestarter, Raven, Griffin, Atlas, Orion, etc.

Top three worst:

1) Quickdraw. The only 'Mech I do not own. Too big. Too clumsy. Feet that look about the size of tanks.
2) Trebuchet. Flat and featureless. I actually like the modular look to it, but it doesn't reflect light like the other 'Mechs, and appears too dark in its bay. Also, the cockpit design change from concept to model is the biggest disappointment in the art department for me, and an absolute Mechbreaker.
3) Battlemaster. I love pretty much all of the 'Mech except the cheaply designed weapon modules. Big black boxes and cylinder slapped haphazardly and half-assedly all over 'Mechs seems to be the new, streamlined thing. The Battlemaster got it the worst, in my opinion.

#67 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 March 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Odd, my preferred ride since it was introduced, in Closed Beta, was the CN9-AH. Always had people tell me how fragile they were, even after I killed them with it.

*shrugs*

Guess I never got the memo-.

Bishop, you being able to kill things in it would have have been in spite of, rather than helped by the design. Players were more used to the slender arms of the Hunchback back then, the Cent had massive limbs compared to that so the usual designs of armor distribution didn't work out so well on the Cent. Those massive arms attracted fire away from the torsos at the cost of losing a good deal of firepower.

After piloting a Cent myself I personally found which situations I excelled in it with and which situations would doom me. Ended up not caring for it's arm mounted ballistic as it was too easy to lose and I preferred my 4SP for SRMs and LRMs. My time with it did teach me how to make a Cent pilot's day a nightmare though and not to underestimate it. Since you could cripple it you were better off doing so as fast as possible, I'm betting far too many people of the time dismissed it as a threat because of the Glass part of Glass Cannon.

And in this thread, people reminding me of just how good the models were for our Beta Mechs. The original Cat and Hunchback looked more Cell-Shaded in model design but oh dear lord did that fit the game just perfectly, gave the entire game a lovely style. Personal preference, I know, but I would love to see a return to that and have the beauty of MWO return instead of the "Gritty Realism" that we have for design now.

#68 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

I dislike in-game Quickdraw model. Too wide. It's OK that it's tall, but it should slimmer. Legs especially are too wide when looking from the front. On the original artwork legs have flattened cross-section, so they are wide when looking from side, but thin when looking from front. On concept art by Alex the mech feels elegant. But in-game model is widened ugly both in torso and in legs especially.

#69 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 March 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

By class, in your Opinions?

Doesn't matter all that much for playing, and can be a silly reason to avoid a mech (though there are 1-2 that the looks did ruin for me) but let's face it, we all want our mechs to look cool, right?

Light:
Posted Image
runner up: Commando
worst: Raven
*snip*

Bish, I want whatever you're smoking cause I think the Jenner looks, even with FD's fixing, terrigash.
I know, opinions and all, but still ;)
Anyways down to beeswax:

Lights:
Best: Commando
Runner-up: Spider
Worst: Jenner

Mediums (couldn't decide so I merged best and runner up into one):
Best: Hunchback (classic 4G) and Centurion
Worst: Blackjack

Heavies:
Best: Orion
Runner-up: Catapult
Worst: Jagermech

Assaults:
Best: Victor
Runner-up: Atlas
Worst: Get out of here, STALKER

On a massively related note: I can't do well in mechs that I think look gash, full stop. If it looks good, 50/50 I'll do well. Even if it's classed by the meta to be gimping the team, I may still perform well consistently. Appearance is everything to me in this game; no point killing/dying copiously if you don't look fab-u-lous!

#70 grml666

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAruba

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

1. Raven
2. Centurion
3. Cataphract
4. Awesome

worst looking mechs are all humanoid... please give us more stuff like the Uziel and Shadowcat ... ;)

#71 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

I have no clue why you guys dislike the Stalker. Doesn't it look great?:

Posted Image

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 29 March 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostSuckyJack, on 28 March 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Bishop, you being able to kill things in it would have have been in spite of, rather than helped by the design. Players were more used to the slender arms of the Hunchback back then, the Cent had massive limbs compared to that so the usual designs of armor distribution didn't work out so well on the Cent. Those massive arms attracted fire away from the torsos at the cost of losing a good deal of firepower.

After piloting a Cent myself I personally found which situations I excelled in it with and which situations would doom me. Ended up not caring for it's arm mounted ballistic as it was too easy to lose and I preferred my 4SP for SRMs and LRMs. My time with it did teach me how to make a Cent pilot's day a nightmare though and not to underestimate it. Since you could cripple it you were better off doing so as fast as possible, I'm betting far too many people of the time dismissed it as a threat because of the Glass part of Glass Cannon.

And in this thread, people reminding me of just how good the models were for our Beta Mechs. The original Cat and Hunchback looked more Cell-Shaded in model design but oh dear lord did that fit the game just perfectly, gave the entire game a lovely style. Personal preference, I know, but I would love to see a return to that and have the beauty of MWO return instead of the "Gritty Realism" that we have for design now.

Naw, some of us were just early adopters of the shield arm. Cuz even crazier by conventional wisdom, I ran an XL in mine. Speed (comparably speaking) and keeping the left arm to the enemy made Centy a fun boy. Got a little harder for a minute when engine caps came in, but no real biggie.

I still hear people pontificate about how easy they are to disarm, hence the rise of the Zombie. Yet my YLW keeps eating everything in front of it. And I ain't THAT good, bro!

#73 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 29 March 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

I have no clue why you guys dislike the Stalker. Doesn't it look great?:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Silentium, 29 March 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#74 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Best:

Light - Locust
Medium - Blackjack
Heavy - Dragon
Assault - Umm.... The Atlas I guess?

Worst:
Light - Spider
Medium - Kintaro
Heavy - Thunderbolt
Assault - Banshee, formerly the Battlemaster, formerly the Victor, formerly the Highlander. Seriously, I think the Assault class gets uglier with every one released. I can't wait for the Mauler to do a C-c-c-c-combo breaker.

Best looking class- easily the Heavy class. Every chassis looks very unique. Even the ugly T-bolt is easy to recognize on the battlefield.

#75 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

Posted Image

k2 wins the competition by a landslide IMO,
Light - Raven
Medium - Griffin
Assault - Atlas

Worst
Light - Jenner
Medium - Wolverine
Heavy - Quickdraw
Assault - Highlander. Sorry guys.

Edited by War Khan, 29 March 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#76 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Favourite Looks:

Light: Raven 4X, 3L
Runner up: Jenner

Medium: Hunchback 4G, 4SP
Runner up: Centurion

Heavy: Catapult K2, C1
Runner up: Thunderbolt

Assault: Stalker 3F, Misery
Runner up: Atlas D

Honourable Mentions:
Locust, Griffin, Jagermech and Awesome.

Worst looks:

Spider
Trebuchet
Quickdraw
Banshee

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 29 March 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#77 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hmm lights Hard choice, but I think i'll go with the Jenner, though a big surprise for me, the Raven comes in second (surprise being its not in the unrevised 3025 TRO) I think the Firestarter is the worse looking

Mediums

tThe Hunchie (with ac20) though the Cent is a close Second,worse Blackjack

Heavies

Either the Catapult or the Dragon worse Orion or the Thunderbolt

Assaults

Atlas I'd love to say the Victor but I simply can't, that runs in third because of its spread shoulders, or it would jump the highlander, and maybe the Atlas (its got the best cockpit, after the Griffin) thworse hands down its the Battlemaster, though the Banshee comes in a close Second for the wooden spoon (though I think the banshee's cockpit is one of the best, and you see more of that)

This thread made me sit down and think and its confirmed for me more than anything, is that the early mechs were far far better thought out and better looking when it came to making the 3d model

Edited by Cathy, 29 March 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#78 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

Best:
Overall: Catapult K2
Light: Raven
Medium: Centurion
Heavy: Catapult (K2)
Assault: Battlemaster

Worst:
Overall: Stalker
Light: Firestarter
Medium: Kintaro
Heavy: Orion
Assault: Stalker

#79 Clogsman

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

Best:
Light: Raven
Medium: Centurion
Heavy: Cataphract
Assault: Battlemaster

Worst:
Light: Jenner
Medium: Griffin
Heavy: Jaegermech
Assault: Banshee

#80 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 28 March 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

I think they really nailed the Hunchback and Trebuchet in terms of looks, they look great.

You get my 5 star vote for this sir. :angry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users