- - - - -

When Should A New(Ish) Player Consider Buying The Modules?

46 replies to this topic

#41 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostTim East, on 12 June 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I'm just too cheap to shell out a bunch of c-bills on modules with clan mechs on the way in just a few months. I'd love to get the target decay one, since I scout a lot and that seems like it would let my teammates see the enemy longer, but...ehhh, money.

Advanced target decay is more useful for the missile boats themselves than the spotters, from my understanding of the mechanics.
(IE: it doesn't transfer that other 3 seconds to other people)

Having said that - the UAV is very useful for building up XP if you have the cbills (or MC) to spare.

#42 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 June 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

Having said that - the UAV is very useful for building up XP if you have the cbills (or MC) to spare.

Blugh, spending c-bills I should be saving for clan mechs when they come out...I already burned a bunch of them on getting my shiny new locust.

#43 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, add that to the fact that the only way to potentially lose money each match is the use of consumables.....

Edit: still though - not unheard of to come out of a match with 2000 or more xp from just the use of the UAV

Edited by Shar Wolf, 13 June 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#44 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

For me.. I wish i bought more modules earlier... I got caught up in the whole, must have more mechs thing.. when i really should of gotten a few modules instead of buying that Atlas i wanted.

for me the most useful modules are,,

Seismic. (yup, even post nerf, i find this module more than helpful, even packing it in on lights that i like to spy with) I can't tell you how often this module has saved my life..

Advanced sensor range.. Love this one, add it with BAP, and you can target from a long distance...

Modules i wish i bought earlier instead of buying mechs in the long run i would of been way better off.. instead of spending money on the atlas, XL-280, and my cat's i could of owned all these last summer and been a much happier camper.. instead i kept buying mechs,, and not understanding the importance of modules..

360 targeting, for a brawler mech, or hit and run light.. perfect for helping keep lock on the enemy while people rain down LRM's of doom

targeting decay, keep lock a bit longer..

gather readings.. (forget the exact name, but it speeds up the info gathering on a mech so you can target areas, or see load outs.

adv Zoom.. another i wish i bought.. for those that like to snipe, this module is great.. and honestly those with not so hot of vision, can use it to help see mechs farther away, to gather mode intelligence on the enemy. as a good plan is always a good win..

cap accelerator, if you play a light or medium, this is a great module, especially if you wolfpack with a friend or two..

If i had to give a new player advice, I'd say, Pick up 3 55 ton mechs (the one of your choice) Work to master, and save to buy at least 3 modules before you start working on adding more mechs to your bay.. If you need to earn more GXP, by the time you have your 3 mechs and enough to buy your first module.. Keep grinding XP, and then do a GPX conversion.. it is worth the MC.. a few bucks you can unlock a module or two to get you a head start..

to me, i never run a mech with out modules.. it takes only seconds to strip them out, and if you strip them when you stop playing that mech, it is very easy to find um. Personally i don't swap mechs very often.. so it is not that big of a deal.. I typically play a mech in an evening, or even for a week, while i am grinding.. though sometimes if i am filling Basic boxes it goes quicker, and i will swap mechs mid play session, but not to often.

Edited by JC Daxion, 14 June 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#45 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 14 June 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

gather readings.. (forget the exact name, but it speeds up the [target] info gathering on a mech so you can target areas, or see load outs.

You said the name and didn't even realize it :huh:

#46 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Target info gathering and adv. sensor range are a must have. Being able to lock enemies farther away and quicker with advanced then speeding up the process of being able to see if theyve been critted anywhere is incredibly useful. You dont want to be spamming shots into an atlas CT when hes got a critted left torso you can blow off with one alpha. These two modules help you get kills and train you to aim for weakpoints instead of firing wildly at the center mass.

Also, knowing faster what kind of weapons loadout a mech is running will help you decide if and how to engage it. Lets say a jager steps around a corner in front of you 700 meters away. Finding out whether hes an AC40 or a dual gauss is vital to survival. If hes AC40 its probably safe to take a shot at him with longrange weapons but if hes gauss then you find cover and decide to engage or retreat.

Edited by beerandasmoke, 15 June 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#47 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

The modules I own are the adv sensor range, target info gathering, seismic sensor, target decay. Which you take depends on your mech loadout. If you have BAP, you don't need sensor range and info gathering as BAP increases both. Seismic is really situational. It can be very good to have on a light, but then you have to stop to use it which can be death for you. So some may want it and some might not. I can see it being used on support mechs that lob fire downrange, but then an LRM boat would rather have target decay and maybe something else instead. So modules really depend on personal preference quite a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users