#1 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts
  • LocationDenmark -Northern Europe

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Hi all

I bought a Firebrand and was thinking to master the sucker. In that order I bought a Jager DD, but I seem to suck with it. My overall winrate is a little over 50% but the DD get less that 30 %. It seem to be jinxed which is kind of sad, because I like it better than the FB. Ive noticed it seem prone to get all hits in centertorso. Thats fine because its heavy armored there, but when I say all I mean ALL ! I usually, succesfully, pilot Cents so I know to twist. What am I not seeing with the DD.

Note the FB has an average 50% winrate...

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

The Jager DD is not made for twisting. You look them in the eye while you dakka them to death.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

A lower engine rating in the DD would lead to slower and less-effective torso twisting. The FB has 280xl stock compared to the 260xl in the DD. Having more skills unlocked in your FB would also lead to improved performance compared to a new mech with no skills.

#4 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

They are both at roughly same level... so that shouldnt be an issue

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

XL265 is enough -- with double basics -- to reasonably shield with the arms. The issue is psychological. You want to watch your weapons guns/PPCs/SRMs hit. They hit just the same if you do not, so do not.

Edited by Modo44, 29 March 2014 - 03:11 AM.

#6 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:30 AM

does OP even have the same build on the 2 mechs?

#7 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

Well a few things I have learned with mastering the Jagers and owning a Firebrand.

The Jager S many put 2 AC2s and 2 AC5s or 3 UACs or 3 AC5s on it (usually for dakka). Good dps to melt armour, accurate, and lastly heat manageable.

The Jager DD can do the same build as Jager S or ... dapper jager. The dapper jager is 6 machine guns for crit damage on open spots, and then 2 large er lasers or large pulses in side torsos for opening up armour spots. The dapper takes practice not to rush in there but to be honest you need to have that skill with any jager because your a walking bill board and I would say 50% of all jager builds usually need an xl engine.

As for the firebrand which you said you get 50% win rate which isn't bad, but there are some builds you can do with it.

1- 2 ER Large Lasers, 2 Large Lasers, 2 Machine Guns
2- 2 PPCs, 2 AC5s
3- 2 UACs, 4 Medium Lasers
4- 2 AC20s
5- 2 Gauss Rifles

All 5 of those builds are effective but take time to learn (about 30 games with that same build). After the learning period is over you will have everyone screaming, CHEATER! META!! NOOB!!! At you just because you killed them ;)

GL HF and if you have other questions skye-rangers.net join up our forums have tons of info and we have constant scroungers trolling Devs twitter feeds and other resources for up to date info.

#8 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

The other note I can give you is Jagers have a bigger hit box for its CT then most other mechs and even then the DD has the same as the FB so from a mech to mech not much I can tell you. It would be more of a question of how you play the mech then the mech it self. Because all you know you could play the DD weirdly compared to when you play the FB just because the FB gets a CBill bonus?

Only other thing I could say is perks of the mech are different, and the FB allows a 340xl and the DD does not. Then the Fb also has a 100 degree yaw. smurfy -> http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_quirks

#9 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 29 March 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

does OP even have the same build on the 2 mechs?

Nope: FB carries PPCs and LLs where DD carries AC10s, MGs and MLas... Im well aware of space/heat issues and I see myself as an average builder with reasonable understaning for the mechanics. On a note the DD has a damage output on roughly 350 average...

Edited by CSHubert, 29 March 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#10 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Postclownwarlord, on 29 March 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

The other note I can give you is Jagers have a bigger hit box for its CT then most other mechs and even then the DD has the same as the FB so from a mech to mech not much I can tell you. It would be more of a question of how you play the mech then the mech it self. Because all you know you could play the DD weirdly compared to when you play the FB just because the FB gets a CBill bonus?

I tend to play DD as the FB in a support role. Im not usually first encounter, but pick my pray from afar after lights or meds have spottet them. From time to time I lurk behind Assaults to catch the enemy light trying to harrass the big boy. It works for the FB but not for DD...

#11 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostCSHubert, on 29 March 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

Nope: FB carries PPCs and LLs where DD carries AC10s, MGs and MLas... Im well aware of space/heat issues and I see myself as an average builder with reasonable understaning for the mechanics. On a note the DD has a damage output on roughly 350 average...

Well that actually explains a bit. The PPCs and LLs mechanically are very different form the AC and MLs. Yes, the PPC operates like a ballistic weapon, but your LLs are hit scan. On the other hand the DD has weapons that require leading to help with the damage output.

I will say this about the JM6 chassis. Their side torsos are tiny, which is why they are XL friendly, as most hits will go to the CT, you want to put 10-12 points of armor on your rear, and the rest should be front-loaded to make sure you can survive the hits. The DD should also be played much differently, I'd recommend engaging from as close range as possible. Your AC10s have good range, but at closer range you should be able to win most trades and get the kills quick.

This is the Dapper Jager mentioned earlier by Clown warlord, with a STD engine.

This is the same mech with an XL engine.

and this one is called the Home Wrecker

NOTE: armor values are not to be taken literally and instead modified to suit play style.

I recommend trying out different play styles to help you figure out which ranges and roles you'll be more suited for with your chosen set up. Also, I assume the DD is fully basic'd out, and customized. If not please inform me of what you have done.

Actually, can you post the smurfy build? That would help us a lot.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 29 March 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 March 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

I will say this about the JM6 chassis. Their side torsos are tiny, which is why they are XL friendly, as most hits will go to the CT,

You only "mostly get hit in the CT" if you do not shield and/or play in a low bracket. Good players will blow your XL Jager to kingdom come in seconds. The firepower is awesome, but you need to be really careful with the glass cannon.

#13 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostModo44, on 29 March 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

You only "mostly get hit in the CT" if you do not shield and/or play in a low bracket. Good players will blow your XL Jager to kingdom come in seconds. The firepower is awesome, but you need to be really careful with the glass cannon.

Absolutely, good players will wreck you quick, fast, and in a hurry. You pump out lots of bullets there way, and that raises your threat level to them. There's a reason Jagers get focused down and killed quickly. If left unattended, they can dismantle an entire lance with extreme prejudice.

One thing you can actually do to protect your sides, if being hit from the side, is to use the right CTRL button and aim your arms as far down as possible. It can block some shots from the sides that way.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostCSHubert, on 29 March 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

They are both at roughly same level... so that shouldnt be an issue

So that you know, twisting in a Jager will get you killed faster. In any Jager.

The side torso is not only the side of your body, it's also 1/3rd of your front too.

Posted Image

Colored is all of the side-front torso.
Posted Image

This means your CT is relatively small, and the side torsos are nearly impossible to protect. Your safest bet is to look directly at your enemy and keep shooting.

#15 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanx Koniving. That made some sense to the problem. I use to twist as a Cent taking the damage in selected spot thereby losing my chance to hose shells at them. Thats an odd to me to face the fire, but actually fun. I had some more success in takeing off the AC10s and replace for UAC5s... more dakka and shakes for my target. Thanx for the good advises all. Helps noobs like me come to grip with this game alot ;)

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 29 March 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

So that you know, twisting in a Jager will get you killed faster. In any Jager.

I LOL'd.

#17 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Jagers answer to Cents ?!

;)

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostCSHubert, on 29 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Jagers answer to Cents ?! ;)

Nah. More firepower with less mobility. The lack of articulated arms makes some feats impossible with the Jager.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostCSHubert, on 29 March 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Thanx Koniving. That made some sense to the problem. I use to twist as a Cent taking the damage in selected spot thereby losing my chance to hose shells at them. Thats an odd to me to face the fire, but actually fun. I had some more success in takeing off the AC10s and replace for UAC5s... more dakka and shakes for my target. Thanx for the good advises all. Helps noobs like me come to grip with this game alot ;)

Centurions had, and still kinda have a perk. When their arm is gone, there's a huge section of shoulder that still counts as the arm that transfers the damage at a 50% reduction. When the side torso is gone, it reduces the damage at another 50% reduction (only 25% of actual damage makes it to the CT). Jagers with XL engines will never have this ability and the arm is entirely too small anyway.

View PostModo44, on 29 March 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Now a standard engine Jager has incredible survivability; but not for its weapons just its life. One sided weapons does help, but even twisting, I could still hit that side (due to the 'side shield' jutting out) even after you twist away,

---------
Additional notes: Twisting works great against lasers, even with mechs that are easy to 'hit'.
Twisting does not work well against instant-damage rapid fire weapons. It works great against slow-fired, high damage weapons (Ac/20s and PPCs) but not for the Jager in an XL engine. Unless maybe you twist the 'other' way.

A twisting Jager against lasers.

Just watch the first 50 seconds.

#20 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

BTW, theb33f's daperjager just in case if anyone wants a reference:
Spoiler

Edited by luxebo, 29 March 2014 - 11:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users