#1 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

just starting out and basic color's

I been playing for two weeks now and I just found out that a player can purchase BASIC colors with C bills its not much of a choice but I didn't even know about it tell I went for the show it off sale.
hope this helps!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

In somewhat better English, the "Basic" category colors under Camo (paints) are available for a sum of cbills.

The colors are Basic Orange, Basic Purple, Basic Blue, Basic Red, and something else other than Green I believe.

#3 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

The Basic Colours are:
Basic Green
Basic Red
Basic Purple
Basic Blue
Basic Orange

They are 1.25m C-Bills each.
And only look alright when used as a solid colour.

Between the grind needed to earn them, and how they're honestly a bit dissapointing, you're better off waiting for a 50% sale on the colours you want.

I bought Camo Light Blue / Blue / Dark Blue / Black when they were on sale a while back.

Basic Colours, and my default pattern pictured below to show the difference:
Posted Image

#4 Flaming oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

yeah I have to admit colours are interesting but a bit pricey if you ask me for something purely cosmetic, Don't get me wrong I'll probably design my mechs somewhere down the line when I have 4 fully upgraded mechs, until then though, naw.

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

I agree they do look better as solid colors.

With the colors allowed to purchase with C-Bills you can have your purple people eater with the atlas, and little boy blue with the commando.

I did get some colors with the phoenix package and looks like getting a few more with the clan package, So I have a few colors, without officially purchasing any with MC.

I was tempted with the purple and green sales and honestly forgot on the camo colors sale. I wanted a few of the camo colors.

the skins, you can buy for each mech or unlock for the chassis. I wish there was an option for your entire collection of mechs.

#6 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Camo Schemes ARE far too expensive.

2 types of Camo Spec - Basic and Premium.
Basic are 750MC (£2.25) to unlock it for the chasis, or 75MC (23p) for a one-time use.
Premium are 1250MC (£3.75) to unlock it for the chasis, or 125 (38p) for a one-time use.

That's a bit much for a one-hit.
But then that's basically how it feels for everything in MWO...

If you got 2-3 times the MC for your money, I'd have bought more stuff.
If you got 10 times the MC for your money, I'd have bought pretty much everything... but oh well.

#7 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostOvion, on 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

2 types of Camo Spec - Basic and Premium.
Basic are 750MC (£2.25) to unlock it for the chasis, or 75MC (23p) for a one-time use.
Premium are 1250MC (£3.75) to unlock it for the chasis, or 125 (38p) for a one-time use.

That's a bit much for a one-hit.
But then that's basically how it feels for everything in MWO...

If you got 2-3 times the MC for your money, I'd have bought more stuff.
If you got 10 times the MC for your money, I'd have bought pretty much everything... but oh well.

Well first off, if you don't plan to change the camo a lot, then buying the one shots are a better deal unless you plan to change it more than 9 times.

Second, if it's worth it to you, then buy it. If it's not, then don't. Now I agree that if things were cheaper I would have bought more, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for them to lower the prices. They need the money remember?

No one has bought the game, nor does anyone pay a sub. So they have to have money coming in and if it's working, why should they change it?

Also, kudos the OP for bringing this up. I keep forgetting those colors are there, and should probably go buy them just for the heck of it. Sadly, the PP and the old PC Gamer colors are pretty much the same so I think its time for a new look....

**EDIT** PS: Protip: repainting your mech Basic Green can cause some players to assume you are a total newbie and treat you as such. Same token, using obviously MC colors/camos can lead to people assuming you've been around a while. Plan accordingly.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 06 April 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostOvion, on 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Would you prefer a $30/month subscription? Quit whining, use the sales.

#9 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

When I buy stuff, I do tend to use sales.

That doesn't mean certain things aren't bad value for money.

Edited by Ovion, 06 April 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Actually, all the fluff is 100% useless as far as your performance is concerned. All unlocks are free with enough grind, and you only need mechbays to have a big mech stable. So yeah, quit whining.

#11 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

What does fluff have to do with anything I said?

Most of the game is free with grind yes, and I don't mind Mech Bays, that's fine.
And sale colours, being it unlocks for everything I don't mind either.

That still doesn't mean certain things are not overpriced for what they are.

And it's not whining, it's either opinion or fact.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

To clarify a bit, all colors are buy it once, use it as many times as you want, on as many mechs as you want. Camo patterns, however are either purchased for a single mech (one time use), or for a single chassis type. For example, I bought the single use Cobra pattern for my Spider 5D. If I bought a Spider 5K, I could not use the same pattern. If I had bought the multi-use Cobra, which is more expensive, I could use it on either a 5K or 5V as well, but not on a Jenner, Raven, or any other chassis.

#13 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

View Postmailin, on 06 April 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

To clarify a bit, all colors are buy it once, use it as many times as you want, on as many mechs as you want. Camo patterns, however are either purchased for a single mech (one time use), or for a single chassis type. For example, I bought the single use Cobra pattern for my Spider 5D. If I bought a Spider 5K, I could not use the same pattern. If I had bought the multi-use Cobra, which is more expensive, I could use it on either a 5K or 5V as well, but not on a Jenner, Raven, or any other chassis.

yeah I have two hunch backs and ones a hero I just got the one shot camo pirate theme for the champion and a off gray for my hero it was way cheaper then white its just that yellow makes me stick out like a target anyway im happy.

#14 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 06 April 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

**EDIT** PS: Protip: repainting your mech Basic Green can cause some players to assume you are a total newbie and treat you as such. Same token, using obviously MC colors/camos can lead to people assuming you've been around a while. Plan accordingly.

I've done this before, it seems to be quite effective. I painted my Yen-Lo that way, because I've found that as soon as people see that sunburst pattern, they start going for the arm.

#15 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 06 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

I've done this before, it seems to be quite effective. I painted my Yen-Lo that way, because I've found that as soon as people see that sunburst pattern, they start going for the arm.

yeah but it makes me feel like the( Red baron) He painted his plan bright red saying you now ho I am bring it on !!

my mech Father smoker!!

Posted Image

#16 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

I find the best path is to choose one camo design for a mech if you're going to buy one (75mc) and just leave it at that forever. Other prices are bit much...

Other advice... only buy em when they're on sale !

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostOvion, on 06 April 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

What does fluff have to do with anything I said?

I think what Modo means is paint doesn't make you win. You don't need it to progress, level up, and honestly it doesn't even help you hide. Paint, patterns, etc. are fluff on your wallet. Don't like? Too much? Don't buy. Community Warfare has some patterns planned to be "unlockable" through simply grinding and earning stuff. Wait til then if you absolutely must have it without touching your wallet.

There are actually 3 types of patterns.
Normal. Perm unlock for entire chassis is 750 but sales for 375 .
Premium. Somewhat expensive. Sales for half.
Special: Redeemed through special offers (such as PC Gamer) or earned by unlocking things (community warfare loyalty point system).

PGI has also mentioned that after CW is out, there will also be a limited selection of patterns available.

However, last mention of that was just before October last year. Then again CW isn't out yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users