#801 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostMaxx Blue, on 15 August 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

It sticks in my head that, at some point, they said a new mech costs something like $250K to create. Whatever the actual number is, unless they think they can generate that much money on MC impulse/nostalgia buys, it would be hard to justify putting in what is essentially a joke mech. Especially one they can't build stock without changing their construction rules.

So, lets say every single post in this thread is an individual buyer (they aren't, there are plenty of dupes, but we are doing best-case here.) That is 40 pages with 20 posts/page, so 800 people willing to buy an urbie. Now, lets say that all three Urbie variants are Hero's, so people have to actually buy all three to elite any of them. An Urbie hero should cost around 2000-2500MC, which about $10-$13, call it $40 for all three of them. Now lets say all 800 people buy all three Urbie heroes. That is a total of $32,000. In reality, there are less than 800 individuals posting in this thread, and not all of them would spend $40 on urbies.

At this point, I think the most likely way to get the Urbie would be to push PGI to put up a kickstarter, pick a number they think they need to make it happen, and see if it gets funded. We all know they could build it, and we all know it is just a question of if the numbers work out. A Kickstarter is probably the simplest way to figure out if the numbers add up.

That was 250K for a new map. Not a new mech. Mechs are a LOT cheaper.

#802 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 15 August 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

And mechs get cheaper all the time. Well, so do maps, but mechs are much simpler that way. There's lots of reusable assets now.

#803 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Why isn't this a thing yet?

Get on it PGI!

#804 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Has it really been two days since someone bumped the Urbie post?

THIS.

WILL.

NOT.

STAND.

URRRRRBIIIIEEEEE

#805 Cybersniper Vickers

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Urbie only drops, both IS and Clans would have to use them in those tourneys.
And thus, balance. :D ;)

#806 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

Bumped, for the Lord Urbie.

#807 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 15 August 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

THAT is what it is! Thanks for the reminder. So, ignore that part of my post, but the rest could still be an interesting attempt to figure out how much money this thread is really going to gaurantee PGI if they make the Urbie. I still say we ask them to put it up as a pre-pay pack like Phoenix was, or straight-up make it a kickstarter. Put it out there and let us pledge money ahead of time to guarantee that the financials make sense before committing to build it. Hell, add in an option to buy the IIC as a clan mech and use the same damn model!

I'm just saying that, if they don't want to release it as a normal mech where they build it all and hope enough people pay for it, then make it a pre-pay or pledge deal to make sure the money is there first. We know that SOMEONE at PGI knows about this thread, so they know there is interest. I'm just trying to think of ways to get them to ACT on this. Maybe we should make a 'How much would you pay for Urbie?' thread over in general? See how many people would pay $15 for one, or $30 for three, or $60 for three IS Urbies and three Clan IIC's?

#808 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostMaxx Blue, on 18 August 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

I'm just saying that, if they don't want to release it as a normal mech where they build it all and hope enough people pay for it, then make it a pre-pay or pledge deal to make sure the money is there first. We know that SOMEONE at PGI knows about this thread, so they know there is interest. I'm just trying to think of ways to get them to ACT on this. Maybe we should make a 'How much would you pay for Urbie?' thread over in general? See how many people would pay $15 for one, or $30 for three, or $60 for three IS Urbies and three Clan IIC's?

I would love to hear cries of pay-to-win over Urbies. That would just make my day, and I don't think the forum engine can handle it.

#809 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

The forum has an engine? Well then we shall URBIE power it!

#810 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

we just need one of those old klondike ice cream bars commercial jingles "oh what would you do-oo-oo for an Ur-ban-mech?"

#811 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

State of this games stability right now I wouldn't even buy a Hero Urbanmech if it cost 20MC, and I've been wanting one since closed beta.

#812 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Stability has been pretty bad lately - I finally gave up on the most recent tournament because every third match was a crash. Not that I would be butting heads with the top ten, but I've made it pretty high in previous comps (without cracking the top ten, think 30s was about as high as I've gotten as a casual gamer), but this was so frustrating, playing more than four or five games in a row was pointless.

Still, I think the latest patch is supposed to look at it. I hope.

URBANMECH

#813 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Weird, I haven't been having crash problems, but I definitely did not enjoy this NEVAR COOPERATE tournie. Is hitting the "R" key really THAT bad?

This is why we need an Urbie, in 12 v 12 Urbie fights, everyone will automatically have the "R" key active.

#814 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostCathy, on 19 August 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

State of this games stability right now I wouldn't even buy a Hero Urbanmech if it cost 20MC, and I've been wanting one since closed beta.

You are not worthy of an UrbanMech.

If you were offered one, and you chose to not accept, then I pray you wake up in the morning with a thousand insects in your bedsheets, and and you get a coffee stain in an unfortunate location on your pants before an office meeting.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 19 August 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#815 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 19 August 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

You are not worthy of an UrbanMech.

If you were offered one, and you chose to not accept, then I pray you wake up in the morning with a thousand insects in your bedsheets, and and you get a coffee stain in an unfortunate location on your pants before an office meeting.

This just got dark all of a sudden.

In the mean time. Here's more urbie art.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of this art is not mine.

#816 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:49 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 14 August 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

With all my being, I want this to be the longest thread on the MWO forums.

Make it so #1

No chance, the ponies can spam faster than anyone else can.

I mean 484 ages spam dominance. Hell I wonder if this is a Pony Forum at all, hidden in a Battletech chassis.

And seriously, When a Urbie doesn't have a "trashcan" like appeareance, its not a Urbie. It needs this to be recognized as one.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 August 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#817 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 August 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

No chance, the ponies can spam faster than anyone else can.

I mean 484 ages spam dominance. Hell I wonder if this is a Pony Forum at all, hidden in a Battletech chassis.

And seriously, When a Urbie doesn't have a "trashcan" like appeareance, its not a Urbie. It needs this to be recognized as one.

You are correct.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#818 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostOvion, on 15 August 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Urbie Hero would be 2,250MC.
Say that an Urbie 'bundle' / mastery pack 4,000MC.
So that's roughly $10.35 for the hero, $18.40 for the 'pack' (based on 6,500MC pack).

Lets call it a $20 bundle for the Urbie (Hero + 2 normal, 3 mechbays, badge, cockpit item, maybe some premium time), similar to clan / phoenix.

I somehow severely doubt that it costs 250k to make a mech.
After a little research, it appears the average wage for staff making games is 45-100K per year, Staff reviews have said that salaries are competive, but not at the highend , so 75k a year is probably a generous estimate and stats say an average working year in canada is around 1700 this means that the hourly rate would be roughly $45 an hour. I can't help but feel this is a little generous, but it's a guesstimate.
This means, at $250k it would be 5556 man hours, or 3.2 working years total workload.
Spread among even 10 people, that's still 556, or 3-4 months, to make one mech

But lets consider, I could whack out a hi res model in 1-2 weeks (being a CAD Designer), and these guys will be more experienced than me. (being professional games designers after all)
I bet the code would take that long tops too, especially being almost all of it exists already. (Other mechs, minor changes to adapt to current)
Art can't really take much more than the same. (many assets exist, especially the basics, but I'd allow for this taking a little longer)
So that's what... 3-5 guys, taking 1-2 weeks..., or 120-500 man hours - $5,400 to $22,500.
(Maybe as much as double that if it's up to 10 people making the mech, or it takes more time.)
With fringe costs, and such, I could see a mech being between $6,000 to $25,000 (or $12,000 to $50,000 if 6-10 people work it, or it takes twice as long)

Assuming 800 people buy at $20, that's $16,000 right there.
I reckon you'd easily get 1000+ buying urbies, making $20,000.
They could even do a Gold Urbie pack for $50, (standard pack + 1mech, bay, gold urbie hero) I bet at least 100 people would buy that. (Hell, I might even)

This is ignoring that there's already an Urbanmech model (cockpit item), so they have the concept work and a basic model all done as-is.

Very nice thought, give it enough bells and whistles and everyone will buy one!

#819 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

-AHem-...

URBIE

#820 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

Time 4 yokes:

What do you call an urbie that drinks a gentleman's drink?
Bourbonmech

What do you call an urbie that smokes the chronic?
Herbanmech (That's a playername isn't it?)

What do you call an urbie that's from Illinois and in a heavy metal band?
Disturbanmech

What do you call an urbie that conveys an action or a state of being?
Verbanmech

What do you call an urbie that loves Larry David on TV?
Curbanmech

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users