- - - - -

Why Does The Documentation Suck So Much?

27 replies to this topic

#21 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

I personally don't read any actual reviews or guides. I look at builds on the battlefield and read some common recommendations here and do my own thing :lol:

#22 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Two reasons:

1. There's no money in documentation*.

2. The developer is mostly graphic artists, and graphic artists draw, not write.

* Well actually, an enlightened developer would realise that there is money in enabling new players to get up to speed with their game. However, we're not dealing with an enlightened developer here.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostTurist0AT, on 03 April 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

We should have more mech reviewers. Like weapon reviews/guides for planetside, or plane reviews/guides for WT etc

Truth be told, within every 2 to 6 months every review would become worthless and have to be redone. And when I originally thought of that, we had changes every 2 weeks. I was like "Pfft, screw this I'll wait." It's why I never did new tutorials between 2012 and now and part of why I waited so long on the mech introduction series; every time I'd get to it they'd change something that obsoleted everything I was working on.

View PostTurist0AT, on 03 April 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

Yeah, he should be our voice to the Devs, like a community manager but who actually does his job.

I genuinely believe the one we had did what he could with what he had; but everything you can honestly do is entirely dictated to you. It's like being a spokesperson in China. "Here's the script, here's our goals, these are your views. Make it happen."

View PostDramborleg, on 03 April 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

Honestly IGP should be paying Koniving for providing services that they have no interest in providing.

Thank you.
I'm pleasantly surprised you got which company is behind that task correct, too. Most people think PGI is behind forum-related things. Most truth be told almost everything having to do with the public image of PGI is handled through IGP. Except twitter.

What's interesting is that NGNG is an 'independant' affiliate of IGP. NGNG, and thus by extension IGP, has provided numerous tutorials in very obscure locations. So I do find it unfair to say that IGP isn't interested in providing them.

They did provide the original tutorial series -- which seriously needs an update. They provided the quick battle overview tutorial that plays when you go to install the game. They provided a very conversational and disorganized "UI 2.0 overview and howto" video which I found to be too chaotic for someone wanting a quick reference. They churn out build ideas and videos quite often and hand-hold reviewers like TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe to kind of guide them.

It may be more fair to say they aren't interested in updating tutorials every time something changes.

Now IGP hasn't got anything to do with the in-game content (so far as I can tell). PGI developed the in-game tutorial, and I gave my personal review of it some time ago. There's even a youtube video I made playing a competitor's mechanized game where I'm outright flabberghasted, because every single aspect of what was in my suggestions to PGI for a tutorial went there, right down to the morphing VR simulation environment (which I felt an MW-2 style low-quality environment would be dirt cheap, could be a mock VR simulation, and morph to fit the needs of the tutorial). Shame I'm not a fan of that competitor's game itself.

I once got asked to be a moderator way back in 2013. I wasn't quite interested 'cause then I could only say positive things and be a bit more politically correct. And honestly any time you see a moderator comment on a new player thread it instantly dies. (I'm serious! Even helpful comments often kill the thread.) Though some side effects are there, I can see deleted threads, posts, etc. Sometimes I wish I couldn't, it can get depressing.

At another point I got offered the possibility of a forum title and asked who else would be deserving of it, with a need to get higher up permission and a joking yet serious soon™ too. I am quite happy with the idea. But get the feeling it may be a long while.

Could definitely use a job right now. Sadly as with any job you can no longer express both sides of the coin out in the open. Meanwhile I'm in college for game art and design. I really wish I began college much sooner.

Truth be told I love and hate this game in so many ways. On its own it's a pretty good game. I genuinely loved it with an amazing passion back closed beta when the game was as close to simulation as it ever was but then the game took a direction shift I didn't like. Compared to Mechwarrior 3, the balance on this game is so bad that there's times when I feel the entire thing needs to be thrown out the window and completely redone from the ground up.
Spoiler

(Wow... I really spend 3 hours on this post.)

#24 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 April 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

(Wow... I really spend 3 hours on this post.)

I'd believe it :huh:
I was actually surprised by the lack of editing though. :lol:

#25 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

sadly Op your halcyon days ended when you came here, many a bright optimistic battle tech mech warrior fan has had their desire for this game to be great crushed by PGi's utter inability to make anything they put in place work correctly, have even half decent instructions or not cause massive shifts in meta and balance.

welcome to frustration and simmering anger towards the fools who make this

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 April 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'd believe it :huh:
I was actually surprised by the lack of editing though. :lol:

Don't jinx it. I already see stuff I'm pulling my hair at.

#27 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 April 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Don't jinx it. I already see stuff I'm pulling my hair at.

All good bro, +1 for #PutKonivingOnThePayroll

#28 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostHalcyon201, on 02 April 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

The tutorial barely covers anything.
How to move and fire.

Where is tutorial for the mechlab? Or how all building your mech works? Or upgrades? Or how experience is spent? Or the various elements of the targeting hud?

This game has almost 0% documentation on it.

To properly answer this question you must consider that PGI is a ship of fools piloted by two buffoons at best. You have to high of expectations in PGI and want to much. Figure you're lucky at all to even have a MechWarrior based game and be happy with all it's flaws and lack of progress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users