Are Headshots Possible?

46 replies to this topic

#21 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Remember that the Head has 15pts of HP anyway, then up to 18pts of armour, so if you're aiming to one-shot it, you're often going to need to do 33damage in one go.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 April 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Here is a famous thread all about hitboxes (although mechs are occasionally revised, I'm nto sur how up to date it it) http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/

As hinted by Redshift, this resource is largely out of date. However, I do not know of any changes to head hitbox locations so for head hitboxes that is the the best resource we've got.

Interesting perk not covered there: The Thunderbolt has its head hitbox above the left torso, center of the viewscreen. Thunderbolt's right side head (your left as you shoot it) counts as CT, and the left side (your right as you shoot it) head counts as LT, with a clean split right down the center.

#23 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostOvion, on 03 April 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Remember that the Head has 15pts of HP anyway, then up to 18pts of armour, so if you're aiming to one-shot it, you're often going to need to do 33damage in one go.

Worth repeating. Part if what makes getting headshot kills harder is that they can take a fair amount of punishment. If you factor in the damage-over-time way that lasers shoot, and it gets even harder. You really need a large caliber autocannon (or two) if you really want to get head shots.

#24 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 03 April 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

Worth repeating. Part if what makes getting headshot kills harder is that they can take a fair amount of punishment. If you factor in the damage-over-time way that lasers shoot, and it gets even harder. You really need a large caliber autocannon (or two) if you really want to get head shots.

Nothing gets an enemy mech to squirm more then a armor-less dark red cockpit. You've effectively removed that enemy from the battlefield. Next glancing cockpit shot gets the gold.

#25 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

One experience that just happened was a match where me and a few other guys got into Shadow Hawks and all got headshotted by a Jagermech with double AC20s. We were pretty clean without scratches and we entered the tunnel, and then somehow he got us all in the brawl at Frozen City's tunnel. Yeah, so it's possible. Sometimes you gotta be lucky, and sometimes you just have to know exactly where the head hitbox is and aim for it.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Here's a headshot example receiving end.
I challenged this close range brawler to a brawl.
My weapons were most advantageous at long range and I felt bad, plus I wanted something flashy to show for the video.
....He immediately went for the headshot. I saw it, reacted, twisted the wrong way and gave him my cockpit.

#27 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostOvion, on 03 April 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

The head has 9 hitpoints internally. Then the 18 pts of armor (Internal is max armor/2) unless the head is treated differently.

#28 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

The Head is indeed treated differently.
The Head always has 15HP and 0-18pts of armour.

All other parts are MaxArmour/2HP and 0-X pts of armour.

#29 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

The ability to make headshots consistently is tied to how good your PC and connection are.
Low Ping, hi FPS, and DPI settings, hi resolution and large monitors are all more relevant then player's aim when getting cockpits.

You do NEED good aim, however, if you do not have all the rest your Aim really wont matter, you will rarely get a headshot.

#30 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've only performed 2 headshots since one of the big patches (I know this exactly because of the handy achievement section). The first one came on the day of the patch! Lucky shot with dual gauss.

That second one I think I got from a disconnected mech. ;)

My computer is old; I play on low res and quality to get decent FPS. I don't have a special mouse or DPI adjusting software. So, I really don't consider headshots 90% of the time. The good thing is, this doesn't stop me from blowing out CTs with UACs or PPCs. You don't need to have "g0su-noscope420-skillz" to be moderately successful and have fun at this game.

It should be noted that some folks take a lot of the head armor off. It's not uncommon for me to only put 12 points in. There are people who put much less to get that half ton of extra weight. So, if you ever see me in the field, aim for dat glass.

#31 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Also, someone I was playing with got headshotted by an artillery strike before. The rage that ensued over comms was epic.

#32 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

while shots in an alpha may all strike the same location, they do damage one after the other.

For example, Dual ppc/dual AC 5 combo. alphas Mechs cockpit.

What happens is first one ppc (they travel faster) hits, strips 10 armor, leaving 8. (I am assuming full armor on head for this) second PPC hits strips away remaining armor,
first AC5 hits UNARMORED head, does 5 hp's damage has chances to crit,,
second AC5 hits does another 5 to hp's has chance of crit.

Any crit at those points will kill you. Once the armor is gone the crits are what kills you more often than not.

#33 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostZoid, on 03 April 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

I see there is an achievement for it but I can never seem to get one. I'll load up a test map and fire directly at something's head, see it glow, but it always registers as CT damage.

I remember it was this way in Mech4 as well (I used to pull armor out of the head for extra tonnage since I knew it would virtually never happen), so I'm just wondering if there's some trick I have yet to figure out.

No mercy to Jenners attempting to fly over my Gauss Jager. ;)

#34 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Here's another thing about 'head shots'

Where the head hit box is, isn't always where you the pilot sits.

Ask a friend on Vent to shoot you in the head with a TAG laser. AC/20s work as well.

He'll be shooting your cockpit but the laser wont be in your eyes. Then tell him how where to aim so it is hitting your camera and ask him where he sees the laser hitting.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 06 April 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#35 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 April 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Note that you cannot simpyl shoot the cockpit glass, or he mech's "head". The actual headshot hitbox is only a small portion of the mech's body.

For example, the Atlas has a huge head, but 99% of it counts as CT. The left eye is the actual cockpit/head hitbox.

Here is a famous thread all about hitboxes (although mechs are occasionally revised, I'm nto sur how up to date it it) http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/

Here's just the heads(not all mechs included but it's a good example):

Posted Image

Guess what I'm gonna do when private matches begin

#36 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostMycrus, on 06 April 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Guess what I'm gonna do when private matches begin

But they already state private matches will not count for Stats though. Rightfully so. ;)
Should probably affect achievements as well ?

#37 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostShinVector, on 06 April 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

But they already state private matches will not count for Stats though. Rightfully so. ^_^
Should probably affect achievements as well ?

Not that, we can test the hitboxes accurately each mechs hitboxes...

We can run fun drops where enemy opfor will stand still and act as target dummies...

#38 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

i used to be able to make headshots on atlas while heavily engaged, but my skill level has dropped a lot from being able to do that.
it's incredibly hard :S usually works against DPS atlases because they have to look at you, ac20 and srm atlases will just shoot and twist, so sustaining dmg on their left eye is silly. the only way to get good at it is practicing on an actual fight.

try against atlas since it's hard target but he's pretty slow. stalker also a good target.
catapults are easy to headshot, can even do it with my current skillset.
headshotting a cat is beginner's headshot.

also abuse the head hitbox on the highlander, it's kinda big i think it's the whole rectangle, esp. on the non flying highlanders, those are easy to headshot, almost as much as the cat

#39 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

You'll know you've head shotted someone when they start screaming "******* HACKER!!" at you for the rest of the match. ^_^

#40 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

bonus tips:

1. even though the cockpit glass is inviting on the jagermech, chances are you won't hit it. they buffed that cockpit hitbox so much. so don't try and headshot the jag even if he's shutdown, it's bogus i tell you. just alpha one of their sidetorsos. you will decrease his arsenal in half or kill him.

2. the zoom module can be used to line up headshots at mid range, (as opposed to only sniping center torso of mechs that are at 1000 meters or more) try it at 600-700 meter and zoom on their face and hit them with the adv. zoom on. it Works!! except now you have so many modules it's hard to pick one even if it facilitates headshots.
you know what else facilitates headshots? artillery strike. and that's really lame

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users