To Join, Or Not To Join, That Is The...problem?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

Greetings Fellow Warriors of the Federated Suns.

I am currently debating whether or not to join up with a unit, and need a bit of input, not only in deciding, but in perhaps even identifying something that could be a good fit.

I know there are several excellent Davion units in the game right now, so the 2nd part is difficult.

A bit about myself. I am a "streaky" player, due to family, work and life in general, not to mention a broad bunch of other video games I dabble in from time to time, so I might play regularly, though at perhaps erratic hours, for a good chunk of time, and then disappear for a bit in alternating stretches. That being said, I've been an avid Battletech fan since 1990 (plus a FedSuns devotee since day 1, because come on, why follow Takashi, Janos or Max when Hanse was alive and stomping butt all over the place?), and when it comes to BT games, I always come back.

I'm a bit of a lorehound, prone to the Succession Wars era, stock (or stock "inspired") builds and canon paint jobs (or as close as I can put together anyhow), and I prefer fun and respect to K/D and win ratios (though if I can manage to improve those it's gravy).

In daily life, while I tend towards the crasser side in my personal humor, and have been known to swear/drink like a Bandit King, I also believe firmly in time/place behavior, and know how to tailor it to any audience or social circumstance (You have to know these types of things in my line of work).

As far as my MW:O skill level, I would consider myself to be average to maybe slightly above depending on my ride (I tend to prefer Mediums/Lights), currently sporting a slightly above 1:1 K/D and a slightly higher than that W/L (all managed in strictly solo drops), but I work well with teams, and love the fine art of cooperative tactics. I also tend toward "White Knightism" when it comes to the game, and would much rather play it than "critalyze" it. I'm not much for the meta-min/max-theorycrafting stuff, though I like to think I can recognize good ideas and advice when I encounter them, again, like I say, I'd simply rather play it than study it, especially since my play time might be limited.

So now that it's all laid out there, I'll say that I find myself, after thousands of solo drops, and slowly, finally, grinding my way back up from roughly 1:3 to a roughly 1:1 K/D on my own, wondering how much fun I'm missing out on by going the "Lone Wolf House Warrior" route for so long? And wondering, is there a unit that's right for me? And wondering, just how slightlier above average I could become by practicing/dropping with a group?

At the very least, this could be a good discussion on the pros/cons of groups vs solo artists, with lots of potential for off-topic distractions like "The Beatles vs John Lennon vs Are They All Just Overrated Anyway?"

Thoughts?

#2 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

I'm sort of in the same boat. My playing time is spotty and I'd feel bad joining a group and being completely unreliable. Looks like I'll be PUG 4 lyfe.

I like the freedom of playing solo, but hoping for a good team game after game gets boring. It also seems at times that you possess the curse of the oracle, seeing your whole team about to be wiped out, but not being able to warn them because communication in the game is so lacking. Another big issue is that no friends=no fun

Group guys, care to chime in?

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

There are many Davion units and many more Davion allied merc units, most of which will be happy accepting casual players.

I am a member of a Davion allied merc corp, The Praetorian Legion http://praetorian-le....enjin.com/home

we would be happy to have you or you can look in the house Davion recruitment section of the MWO forums http://mwomercs.com/...8-house-davion/
most of the units will be happy to have you, post in the units recruitment post with any questions

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 May 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#4 Asaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hey RIP and Podex feel free to check out C4. My group already has several players that have a very similar situation to yours. We have an official recruitment thread below as well as a website where you can learn a bit more about us. If it seems like we might be a good fit then pop on the House Davion TS3 and get in a few drops with the guys. The address for the website and the TS3 server are in my sig and no matter what group you ultimately end up with welcome to Davion. :ph34r:

Edited by Asaru, 24 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#5 Big STRETCH

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

HHoD ( Head Hunters of Davion ) is a large Davion group with a spot for all kinds of players from casual to competitive and everything in between. We have players on at all times from many different time zones all over the world. You really can get whatever experience you are looking for I have been a member for over a year now and HHoD has definitely made MWO more fun for me. Stop by check us out. http://mwo.enjin.com/

Edited by Big STRETCH, 24 May 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#6 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, and yeah, been playing as a solo Davion pilot since launch. Skulked around HHoD and Golden Foxes threads and sites, haven't looked at C4 yet, but I will. HHoD, kudos on that awesome recruitment video. And the Foxes really seem to emphasize the casual on their site, which also is appealing.

Like I say, it can almost be too hard to choose, since there is obviously a great group of quality units to choose from.

#7 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Also, I appreciate the invite Rogue Jedi, the Praetorians also look like a great unit, I've just known from the day they announced this game that if I had the option available, I'd definitely go the House Army route.

#8 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

P.S. Just watched the Praetorian intro video. Nicely done, if I ever did decide to go merc, you guys would top the list.

#9 Big STRETCH

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I know most of the units you mentioned and they are all quality teams. Stop by TS hang out and see who fits best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users