- - - - -

Engines

4 replies to this topic

#1 DeAdMaNx7

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

I need help understanding engines in the game. They onyy say what the rating and weight is but not what they do. So what does getting a bigger engine do and what does getting a smaller one do? i cant by a bigger engine because of weight, but wouldnt a bigger engine carry more wieght? Im really dont understand it at all. Sorry if its a noob question. onlybeen playing for 2 weeks.

#2 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Welcome to MWO. You would get more help by posting in the New Players section. But larger engine rating makes your mech faster. Larger engines also give you more heatsink slots. The slots are important because it helps save critical slots in your mech for weapons and other equipment.

Speed is a huge element of your build, so taking the right engine is very important.

Glad you decided to join the great House Liao. Head over to the House Liao subforums and get acquainted :lol:

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 03 April 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Here is a nice table of Engine stats: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...#module_engines

It's a quirk of battletech that all engines are the same physical size, with larger ratings weighing more. Note too that an engine has no speed rating by itself; The same engine in a mech of a different weight will propel that mech to a different speed. A 300 engine in a Jenner is fast, and a 300 engine in an Assault is slow. There is a fancy equation to caclulate mech speed from the mech weight combined with the engine rating BUT an easier way is to look at Smurfy's online mechlab http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=148&l=stock and swap different engines in.

A bigger engine can carry more weight- Put a 300 in a Dragon and it drives at 81, put a 360 in and it drives 89. But, you have to account for the larger engine's increased weight.

Mechs also have a minimum/maximum rating that varies per mech. I wish I could put a 350 in my Stalker but the maximum is 310.

Engines have two types: Standard and XL (XL stads for Extra Light). XL engines take up additional space (they are much larger), make your mech more vulnerable (lose a size torso and you're dead) but also takes up significantly less weight (allowing you to bring a bigger engine, or more guns, or more anything)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

in addition to the earlier points a larger engine makes your Mech more maneuverable, an Atlas with a 200 engine will turn and torso twist slowly, put a 360 in and it will twist, turn and run much faster.

you get one heat sink built into the engine for each 25 of engine rating up-to 250 (your Mech must have at least 10 heat sinks to launch), if you have Double Heat Sinks these dissipate twice as much heat as standard heat sinks. after 250 you start gaining heat sink slots in the engine for each 25, if you use these slots for DHS they will dissipate 1.4x as much heat as standard heat sinks.

so if you use a Jenner with a 100 grade engine you will have a slow not very maneuverable mech, and have to add an extra 6 heat sinks, however if you fit a 300 to the same Jenner you will have a very fast manuverable mech with 2 spare slots in the engine were you can add extra heat sinks. the Jenner is a fast Mech with relatively tiny side torsos so an XL is low risk.

an Atlas with a 300 engine feels too sluggish for me I always use at least a 325 in the Atlas, as the Atlas will usually loose a side torso before the center it is risky to put an XL in the Atlas.

hope this helps

#5 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

mech speed is calculated by rating / tonnage.

this speed applied to walking / running speed, as well as torso twist and arm movement speed.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users