#21 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

View PostDock Steward, on 04 April 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

I feel like I would never again land a hit on a light mech. Or I stand perfectly still, and shoot with my eyes closed so his buddies can't see me :P

On the other hand, that light won't land a hit on your accurately while going 150kph.

EDIT:

So since I got into a MW:O binge recently, I got the old flame back in me, and so I installed MW4 Vengeance, Black Knight and Mercenaries. It felt like the crosshairs did sway (or maybe it was my shaky mouse, who knows). However, I will say this: Even though I am mainly a light mech pilot, and implementing this would probably ruin the way I pilot my mechs, I think it would be fun to test out. I think the idea warrants some messing with and some tweaking.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 05 April 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#22 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

This system, while interesting has a few problems:
  • It really punishes DoT Weapons (since the beam will go all over the place)
  • It doesn't really affect pinpoint weapons (you just need to be a little patient and wait for the swaying reticule to end up where you want it before pulling the trigger)
  • It doesn't affect LRMs / Streaks
Essentially this system would disproportionately nerf beam weapons. I agree we need something to break up damage application, but I'm not convinced this is it.

A while ago I wrote about a system where your reticule is a large circle, and applies damage to components based on what proportion of the circle they're taking up (IE: If I fire an AC/20 and 2 ML while I have 50% of my reticule on the enemy CT and 25% on each ST, the AC/20 would strike the CT and 1 ML would hit each ST).

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

View Postaniviron, on 05 April 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

A cone of fire that tightens when you sit still à la Counter-Strike or CoD is a terrible idea. This punishes lights and mediums while rewarding the snipergameplay that everyone claims this will fix.

It's simple, really. Have you ever sat still while firing in a light? Did you notice how quickly you died? That it takes most assaults just one shot to kill you? Well, as a light your choice is now sit still and die in one shot, or fire on the move and hit nothing. Assaults meanwhile still have the armor to sit and trade shots, and really aren't going that fast to begin with, save for Victors and 9Ms.

And this peek and hide ridgehumping gameplay that this will apparently fix? Yeah, the snipers are already sitting still when they take their shots the vast majority of the time. This isn't going to stop them from nailing your CT for 30 damage alphas over and over and over. What this will stop is your brawler's ability to effectively fire at components on the move when they finally get close to said sniper.

I'm sure there are people who will say, "Well, make the penalty less for lights," but really, even if the penalty is decreased, all of the above is still true- you're going to give lights, mediums, brawlers, and skirmishers a penalty, and you're going to do nothing to change the way assaults and snipers work. That doesn't sound like an MWO I want to play.

Did you notice the exact phrase "Cone of Fire induced when moving OVER 75% of max speed?"

Rather different than "sitting still". But even Light mechs should not be able to make snapshots at 1000 meters with perfect accuracy, at max throttle. To be perfectly honest, the ease of accuracy in this game is patently idiotic and actually not remotely "skill", because all the barriers are removed and we have convergence and aiming for dummies.

In CoD you have much more fast paced action, and CoD. I would submit to succeed at basic gunnery in that game requires far more skill than it does in MWO ATM (and I can't believe I just said something good about Call of Duty. )

Here, in general, even the light mechs are far less twitchy than in other games, and yet aiming is given training wheels.

As for LRMs and streaks, no reticle sway has little impact on them. Not every mechanic is directed to focus on every weapon, we have other threads discussing ways to balance lock on weapons. Reticle sway should not be one of them.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 April 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 05 April 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

• It doesn't really affect pinpoint weapons (you just need to be a little patient and wait for the swaying reticule to end up where you want it before pulling the trigger)
Essentially this system would disproportionately nerf beam weapons. I agree we need something to break up damage application, but I'm not convinced this is it.

A while ago I wrote about a system where your reticule is a large circle, and applies damage to components based on what proportion of the circle they're taking up (IE: If I fire an AC/20 and 2 ML while I have 50% of my reticule on the enemy CT and 25% on each ST, the AC/20 would strike the CT and 1 ML would hit each ST).

which is why I am not saying sway alone is enough. but is should be there, and TBH, DoT weapons should be harder to use at full speed. Perhaps it would reduce the running snipers with ER LArges a skosh. And if need be, for balance sake, they might consider revisiting damage, beam duration or heat, to still make them viable.

DoT weapons really already belong best on CQB or static snipe builds. For fast skirmishers and flankers, that would improve the viability of Pulse Lasers, due to shorter beam duration, but also those builds should probably use more FLD weapons. Most of which are heavier, thus decreasing damage output some, and extending matches, as is something the Devs keep stating they desire as "we die too quick now".

#25 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

The only weapon that should have reticle sway is the gauss. (and only if the stupid charge mechanic is removed)

#26 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

It'd apparently break HSR, but this was my idea for opening shot groups:

Overview:

The largest problem in this game stems from the fact that PGI has kept certain traits and rules from the board game such as the separate location damage models, then added the ability to group several weapons together and shoot them all at one location. These damage models were balanced for a board game in which weapons hit completely random locations; now that where they go can easily be selected we have created an environment that rewards boating the biggest alpha strike as possible as they are superior in nearly every way to other weapon systems.

To fix it PGI needs to make a decision; is this going to be a simulation of the board game, or a first person shooter skinned with the lore?

If the former, they need to relook how they allow alpha strikes to work. If you fire a single weapon you should have accuracy. If you want to fire off all your guns at once, don't expect the bullets to all fly through the same little hole without some work.

Homeless Bill's system was a good idea, but it was incredibly complicated and over complex when the system has been in the book already the whole time; El Bandito referenced the novels for the feel and I think that a combination of the actual rules and the fluff material would make the convergence issue much better. It would require changing the reticule's behavior somewhat depending on combat conditions.

A New Reticle For Group Fired Weapons:

The original reticle would be retained for the purposes of providing the player an aiming reference point for single fired weapons. An additional expanding and contracting reticle would be added around the existing reticle to serve as a group firing reticle. Instead of having the center of the reticule be the point of convergence for grouped weapons, each location of the 'Mech will have its own focus point to where weapons fired from that location would be converged to:

(thank you Unbound Inferno for creating the original reticle graphic)

The player would still have a reference on where his shot would go, because the various stadia line on the reticle would remain the same.

A Reactive Reticle That Adjusts to Combat Conditions:

To achieve a group to pinpoint precision, the firing 'Mech would have to target a 'Mech and then hold its reticle over the 'Mech for a time determined by combat factors such as heat, target movement speed, and range; if the target 'Mech breaks line of sight and the target information is lost, or the reticle is removed from the vicinity of the target, convergence begins to deconverge, much like missile locks currently do.

Pulse lasers would have quicker convergence than ballistic weapons and could continue to converge as the shooter fires them; this accuracy bonus would help differentiate them from other weapons and give them a slight advantage as lasers are a high skill weapon, but have the potential to spread their damage as they are damage over time.

C3 could be added as equipment, as its function in the board game was to allow 'Mechs on a network to use other 'Mechs in the network's targeting data to reduce the penalty of firing at longer ranges; this could be added to this system as well, so having a spotter at close range with C3 could allow a 'Mech at longer ranges to gain tighter convergence. This would allow snipers to still be accurate, if a team mate acts as a spotter, making coordination and team play more of a factor for long range direct fire support, much like LRM fire requires a spotter currently. C3's functionality would be negated by ECM.

This system would require the player to obtain a lock on the enemy by hitting R. Convergence for group fire would not occur until the player selects a target and holds the reticle over the enemy; the reticle would visibly constrict over the target, giving the player clear reference where the various locations weapons would hit if fired at the target. This would require a work around for how ECM currently works; perhaps ECM protected 'Mechs would still be non-targetable by the R key, but if the open a player could manually target them by placing their reticule over an enemy in visual line of sight.

Factors Affecting The Speed of Convergence:

The rate in which the lock constricts would be governed by several things:

- Player's Heat Level - the hotter the 'Mech is, the slower convergence would be applied, giving a real downside to running hot.

- Target 'Mechs movement speed: the faster the enemy is moving, the harder it is to hit. This speed is based on the actual movement speed of the 'Mech, not the rate of the throttle so a 'Mech moving 54kph would be easier to converge your weapons on than a 'Mech moving 90 kph. A 'Mech running 120+ would take a bit of tracking with the reticle to gain pinpoint convergence. This would help the survivability of faster 'Mechs, especially medium 'Mechs who are especially vulnerable in the current meta

- Pilot Tree Skills - give Pinpoint something to do, dammit

- Damage to Actuators - critical hits to actuators in the arm would slow convergence

- Pulse lasers - to represent the accuracy bonus pulse lasers have in the source material, pulse lasers would enjoy a quicker convergence speed than other weapon systems.

Modifiers to Convergence Speed:

The base modifier for convergence speed is based on the level of experience tier;

Basic Qualified 'Mechs have a 4 second to maximum convergence base time
Elite Qualified (Pinpoint Skill) have a 3 second to maximum convergence base time
Master Qualified have a 2 second to maximum convergence base modifier

Long Range adds 4 to the modifier
Medium Range adds 2 to the modifier
Minimum Range adds 1 to the modifier for each 30 meters of minimum range, ie a weapon with a minimum range of 90 would have a 2 modifier or being 30-60m

Firing at a 'Mech that is stationary to 10kph subtracts 4 from the modifier
'Mechs moving 10-20kph have no modifier
'Mechs moving 20-50kph have a +1 modifier
'Mechs moving 50-70kph have a +2 modifier
'Mechs moving 70-90kph have a +3 modifier
'Mechs moving 90-120kph have a +4 modifier
'Mechs moving > 120kph have a +5 modifier

Heat Level at 20% adds a 1 modifier
Heat Level at 40% adds a 2 modifier
Heat Level at 60% adds a 3 modifier
Heat Level at 80% adds a 4 modifier

Pulse Lasers Subtract 2 from the modifier

C3 would allows a spotter to remove the range modifier, 'Mechs in the C3 network would use the range modifier for the 'Mech in the closest range of the target.

Clan Targeting Computers provide a -2 second modifier to convergence time.

The time to gain maximum convergence is this formula

Base Skill Time + Modifier/3= amount of seconds required to gain complete convergence

So an Elite Tier Stalker that is stationary at long range decides to try to use group fire to attack a Centurion 9D moving 108kph at 30% heat. To gain maximum convergence it would take

3 seconds Elite base time to maximum convergence + 4 for long range + 3 for target movement speed + 1 for heat/3 = 5.6 seconds to gain maximum convergence.

The Centurion is moving at full throttle so convergence of attacks against it are much slower; he is returning fire at the stationary Stalker.

3 + 4 for range - 4 for firing on a stationary target = 3 seconds to absolute convergence.

This means that firing a group of weapons against a 'moving 'Mech takes much longer to converge weapons to pinpoint precision like we have now; an alternative would be to firing in chain fire mode if accuracy at long range is desired, without necessitating the firing 'Mech expose themselves for long periods of time.

What It Could Look Like:

This picture is a mock up of what the convergence would look like - he is moving and though he is at close range for his weapons, his high heat level slowed the convergence spreed of his groups down but he chose to fire a group of weapons anyways - see how the damage would be spread over the enemy 'Mech? Nearly every other shooter has similar systems of expanding reticules to display inaccuracy caused by running, ect so new players familiar with shooter games should have no problem adapting to it, especially as it is not a randomized cone; the reticule has the points of aim for the locations with the stadia lines of the crosshairs.

Group fired snap shots or shots fired at non-targeted enemies would be fired at an accuracy penalty as the targeting computer did not have time to converge properly. However the reticle would still provide the pilot with an idea where his shots will go, and since shooting errors are angular in nature the effective of shooting a group with the larger, unconverged reticle at short ranges would be much less severe then attempting to shoot at an unconverged target far away, and the player always has an option for single fired weapons, which are not affected by convergence and have a separate, constant aiming point.

In this picture we see where left/right torso point of impacts will be, even if the reticle converges fully. Even with full convergence achieved, there is some deviation between the points of impacts of weapons in opposite torso locations.

The new system would force the player to have to choose - if he wants precision when firing a group of weapons he either has to offer himself up as a stationary target which would allow the enemy's computer quicker convergence on him, or fire a single weapon rather than a large alpha strike. If he wants to put out brutal force, he can fire a group, but the damage would be spread over the 'Mech.

This new system would not be a random cone of fire; the player has very distinct points of aim at all times for his weapon systems, and is in control of managing his speed and heat to achieve maximum potential for firing weapon groups, but in general should mitigate the trends we have been seeing where 'Mechs are being cored completely to the center torso by large, long range alpha strikes -- sometimes in a single volley.

TL;DR

Add a reticle for grouped weapons fire that converges like a missile lock; the the different stadia (crosshair) lines on the reticle would be the points of convergence for different locations. The speed on which the reticle converges is based on combat conditions such as heat level or target speed. Chain fire would be unaffected, group fire before convergence lock is gained still does damage to a target, just not concentrated to a single location. Pinpoint convergence is still possible if you hold your sights on a target long enough and don't break the lock either by moving your crosshairs off the target (ie torso twisting, engaging a new target, the target breaking line of sight, ect).

#27 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

But I like my super smooth floating cockpits that have no bounce what so ever in relation to my mech's super bouncy movement even though it would be fairly impossible to stabilize since the cockpit seems kinda welded into the chassis and is simply not spacious or flexible enough for a proper motion dampening system. :<

#28 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 05 April 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

I think ACs should be turned into burst fire weapons. I think LRMs need to totally be reworked.

A moving crosshair would affect Streaks as well. We'd have to see how it felt when it was in.

My primary concern is fixing convergence while maintaining skill.

Something better than the ineffective "fix" for jump sniping.

View PostDocBach, on 05 April 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Firing at a 'Mech that is stationary to 10kph subtracts 4 from the modifier
'Mechs moving 10-20kph have no modifier
'Mechs moving 20-50kph have a +1 modifier
'Mechs moving 50-70kph have a +2 modifier
'Mechs moving 70-90kph have a +3 modifier
'Mechs moving 90-120kph have a +4 modifier
'Mechs moving > 120kph have a +5 modifier

Why should it disproportionately affect fast mechs?

In the board game modifiers are based on walking, running, jumping.

#29 Grommen

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I don't think anyone is saying that if your aiming center mass on an atlass, the shot should randomely fire over it's shoulder. Just perhaps not hit CT wile going 120 KPH at 1000 meters every mother trucken time. I'm a horrible shot, but this game turned me into a marksman.

If PGI thinks this is good, I'll live with it. At least till I get sick of it again. Everyone has to deal with it, so in that way it's fair.

I think missing just a little bit would go a long ways to makeing it a more believable game. Just rideing in a car on a highway going 70MPH (140KPH give or take). Just try to hold your hand out stright and look down it. It's bounceing all over the place. These mechs are not rolling on flat roads with tires and suspension. They are stopming over hills, rocks, trees, on worlds with differant atphmosphers, gravity, and all kinds of crap. Yet we are as accurate as a dude sitting behind a keyboard and a mouse.

#30 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

View Postaniviron, on 05 April 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

A cone of fire that tightens when you sit still à la Counter-Strike or CoD is a terrible idea. This punishes lights and mediums while rewarding the snipergameplay that everyone claims this will fix.

It's simple, really. Have you ever sat still while firing in a light? Did you notice how quickly you died? That it takes most assaults just one shot to kill you? Well, as a light your choice is now sit still and die in one shot, or fire on the move and hit nothing. Assaults meanwhile still have the armor to sit and trade shots, and really aren't going that fast to begin with, save for Victors and 9Ms.

And this peek and hide ridgehumping gameplay that this will apparently fix? Yeah, the snipers are already sitting still when they take their shots the vast majority of the time. This isn't going to stop them from nailing your CT for 30 damage alphas over and over and over. What this will stop is your brawler's ability to effectively fire at components on the move when they finally get close to said sniper.

I'm sure there are people who will say, "Well, make the penalty less for lights," but really, even if the penalty is decreased, all of the above is still true- you're going to give lights, mediums, brawlers, and skirmishers a penalty, and you're going to do nothing to change the way assaults and snipers work. That doesn't sound like an MWO I want to play.

I don't think you read anything I suggested.

A sniper should have to stand in the open for significant time to line up all weapons perfectly. This is dangerous and totally against the poptart sniper meta we currently have. Hill humping will still work, but not as well as before as you would have to expose yourself for the best shot.

Add that single fired weapons should always hit dead center. Fast medium mechs can easily make that work. Fast lights should be able to do damage on the run, but it'll spread the 4 or 6 ML out across their target, and that's okay, because big mechs will also have to single fire, or sit still (and so be easy to out run) to get big shots off.

#31 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostPrezimonto, on 05 April 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

A sniper should have to stand in the open for significant time to line up all weapons perfectly. This is dangerous and totally against the poptart sniper meta we currently have. Hill humping will still work, but not as well as before as you would have to expose yourself for the best shot.

Add that single fired weapons should always hit dead center. Fast medium mechs can easily make that work. Fast lights should be able to do damage on the run, but it'll spread the 4 or 6 ML out across their target, and that's okay, because big mechs will also have to single fire, or sit still (and so be easy to out run) to get big shots off.

One side effect I foresee from a modification like this, is that matches will last upwards of 20 minutes. Since no one will be able to chew through enough armor on an assault mech to make much of a difference.

#32 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 April 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

One side effect I foresee from a modification like this, is that matches will last upwards of 20 minutes. Since no one will be able to chew through enough armor on an assault mech to make much of a difference.

Seeing as they can end within 3 minutes on the smaller maps, I highly doubt that.

Besides, I wouldn't mind a brawl lasting more than 30 seconds. In fact, I would highly support that. This isn't supposed to be a twitch shooter.

#33 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't understand why people are against a cone of fire that changes depending on what your mech is doing at the time of firing. The original counter-strike is 15 years old and had cone of fire mechanics. It is a standard for FPSs. Like it or not, we are playing what amounts to an FPS. They just need to add cone of fire for movement above walking speed which is 2/3 full speed. Also, jumping, falling and using MASC should max out the cone of fire.

Each weapon fired in an alpha should have separate aim points within the cone of fire. That way if you fire 2 AC5s and 2 PPCs while running or jumping, your target would have 4 somewhat random hits rather than one big hit in one location.

You could even replace ghost heat with ghost cone of fire. If you fire more than the ghost limit a cone of fire is added to the shot. If you fired 4 PPCs at once, even while standing still, you would fire a shotgun blast of four 10 damage shots. If you attempted to fire 6 PPCs at once you would have an exponentially worse cone of fire.

#34 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 05 April 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

How are you going to make it such that snipers have to stand in the open? Is your system going to penalize people who use cover, then? Despite the fact that poptarting is not really the dominant meta anymore, you're not going to accomplish anything with this change except make people switch back to Stalkers that can stand still with 5% of their chassis visible above the hill to continue raining PPC death down on everyone who can't fire back because they have to move to try and avoid those shots.

And really, single fire weapons always hit dead center? Again, this punishes weapons like SRMs, medium lasers, and machine guns that are already struggling, and rewards the AC20, AC10, and PPC, which are all too effective in single fire already. The only positive change I can think of out of all this is that at least the gauss rifle might start seeing play again.

#35 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 05 April 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

Why should it disproportionately affect fast mechs?

In the board game modifiers are based on walking, running, jumping.

The suggestion would be to make convergence harder to gain on targets moving faster. The firing unit was also penalized with a modifier based on the throttle level.

#36 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

My suggestion from earlier would also eliminate any need for the Devs to mess with perfect convergence. They have stated HSR can't handle non instant convergence. The beauty of cone of fire is that it doesn't require multiple range calculation to be made. It would just be a linear or exponential scale based on speed of the mech. For the jumping and falling they could add hysteresis and a time delay so that multiple small jumps or falls wouldn't overwhelm the system with to many cone of fire calculations.

#37 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

While I love reading these kinds of discussions (seeing as I'm a theorycrafter at heart myself), it is sadly in vain:
  • PGI can't change convergence since it messes with HSR.
  • PGI won't change pin-point accuracy, even though CoF weapons are already in the game (MG, LB-10X).
The best we can hope for is that the "AC adjustment" they're looking at is making them burst-fire, although I'm not going to hope against hope that they've finally gotten hit by a clue-by-four.

More likely they'll fiddle with the projectiles speeds a bit and call that "balancing".

As a side note, a CoF system across all weapons would hit beam duration weapons the hardest. Are those really the weapons we feel need nerfing the most?

#38 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

Liked because of "clue-by-four." Nice.

#39 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

The Counterstrike comparison is neat, because it illustrates a problem: Whoever played Cs knew that standing still is a pretty bad idea. The movement worsened COF only lead to people adopting a specific movement style. Though it would be ******* hilarious to see people walking left-right all the time and only shooting on the turn, it would also just be a new..call it movement meta if you want to.
And if you want realism, throw BT completely out of the window. Modern tanks hit a car at several dozent kilometers away while moving... (And even the tt developers stated at one point, that the high inaccuracy and short range was due to gameplay, as a "realistic" board would be a lot bigger than a table)
One suggestion shines trough in my opinion: make acs do burstfire again. You have a reason to make everything but the first shot inaccurate (jeahjeah ok...COF on that...) and its really fluffy too! Of course that would increase server load and pgi is crazy scared of that..bummer :/

#40 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostDocBach, on 05 April 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

The suggestion would be to make convergence harder to gain on targets moving faster. The firing unit was also penalized with a modifier based on the throttle level.

Sorry, i misread your original example. I see what you meant now.

Except we don't need a CoF penalty for shooting at fast mechs, the fact that they are fast makes it harder...

The problem I have with Cones of Fire is that I do not think of this as just an FPS. I think of it as a simulator.

We are supposed to be simulating the feel of the board game and the fiction into a real time environment. In the board game a pilot had a skill level and that was added to his dice roll. In a simulator we don't have to have dice rolls.

Instead of a cone of fire why not add shake and recoil and all the real life effects that cause weapons to be inaccurate?

The things that make battletech special are all the subtle differences between this and any other FPS.

We can make aiming skill based instead of random. We already have enough random effects in the game.

This we can do right so we should.

Edited by Corwin Vickers, 06 April 2014 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users