32 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

Turrets do not track heat, so no they would not work on turrets.

#22 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

The B33f totally stole that Nova build from me.

Posted Image

My version. When "The Week of Flamer Novas" was happening I was WTF? Then I saw his video.

Posted Image

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 23 April 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#23 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

The old Flamers LOOK like Flamers, lol.

The new ones look like cones of hot air.

I remember that a one-shot Flamers were an infantry weapon and I was expecting to see something more like the old one you showed then the one we have now which is the same from when I got here.

#24 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

I honestly did not notice that this was an old thread.

#25 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 22 April 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

I honestly did not notice that this was an old thread.

You gave it new life. Go info to know though.

#26 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

Well, now I'm going to throw GAS ON IT!

I have not really used Flamer much in a year and 1/2. But one thing seems different.

I know that in Solaris they have restricted Flamers to 4.

But I'm remembering my FlameCrow with something like 7-8 Flamers. But right now, you are really limited to using just 4.

If you use over that (like 6) you will start getting a sharp heat penalty even before the Flamer cooldown gauge (what is that called?) is 20% full.

So it seems like 4 is the useable limit.

#27 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

The heat penalty on flamers is 9. Yep, you read that right, 9.
Every flamer after 4 will generate an extra 9 points of heat per second :P

That being said, 4 flamers is enough to rise the heat of most enemys to 90% in a couple of seconds.

I use a quad flamer vapor eagle with srms and pulse lasers, can run into a group of 4 mechs and make most of them shut themselves down, or start damaging internals within 20 seconds.

Your little red flamer bar, im pretty sure rises into infinity in terms of time it takes to lower it, as well as heat generated.

Once your flamer hits that red bar, leave it be or start tapping it lightly.

The flamer delivers 4.5 hps and only generates 1hps when under the red line.
one second of firing at 4 flamers is a heavy ppc and a medium laser worth of heat for the enemy.
On most mechs, thats a good 15-20% heat ramp per second. Flamers are good.

#28 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 09 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

Every flamer after 4 will generate an extra 9 points of heat per second Posted Image

That being said, 4 flamers is enough to rise the heat of most enemys to 90% in a couple of seconds.

I use a quad flamer vapor eagle with srms and pulse lasers, can run into a group of 4 mechs and make most of them shut themselves down, or start damaging internals within 20 seconds.

Your little red flamer bar, im pretty sure rises into infinity in terms of time it takes to lower it, as well as heat generated.

one second of firing at 4 flamers is a heavy ppc and a medium laser worth of heat for the enemy.

Thanks for that math. If I had two PCs I'd run two accounts and stay for hours on the testing grounds.

This is what else I want to know. Does it matter what you are flaming? Does the amount of heat sinks mean anything or its heat rating?

But I know one rule is if possible, try to use 4 because you get a much faster heat up in the 6 free seconds of flamer heat you have.

If It takes you 3 seconds using 4 flamers to overheat it (reach 90%), then it must be 12 seconds (or more) if only using 1.

On the other hand, I can often run one flamer one a long time if it is a cool running loadout. When you have 15-20 seconds, that is when you can run around and flame 3-4 mechs that you screwed up and found when you turned that corner.

#29 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

Old flamers looked awesome. New flamers look like crap. Why does the game become worse?

#30 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

View PostMechTech Dragoon, on 09 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

Every flamer after 4 will generate an extra 9 points of heat per second Posted Image

Thank you very much for the info, I was struggling with the current event unlocking my Adder goodies because the flamers just seemed to...do their own thing. I didn't know when the heat started to ramp up as the user etc etc.
Thanks again for posting this, MWO would prosper a lot more if it had a proper wiki for advanced mechanics.

#31 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

There is something I am wondering about... Isn't the flamer completely useless if the enemy has a really cold build? I have seen multiple times when people with flamers ran up to me when I was piloting my Warhammer with 4ML and 2 LBX10s. I got to 90% heat fairly quickly, but could just keep shooting the LBXs without overheating. Killed every person hateverytried that with me.

Were they doing it wrong?

Which weapons aside from LBX10s are cold enough to keep firing indefinitly?

#32 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 27 January 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

There is something I am wondering about... Isn't the flamer completely useless if the enemy has a really cold build? I have seen multiple times when people with flamers ran up to me when I was piloting my Warhammer with 4ML and 2 LBX10s. I got to 90% heat fairly quickly, but could just keep shooting the LBXs without overheating. Killed every person hateverytried that with me.

This depends on your build. Flamers put you at 90% heat and the remaining 10% depend on your total heat capacity (1/10 of total heat cap). So you can fire safely any weapon that produces less than 10% heat per shot.

#33 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 27 January 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

That is one of those "OH SHOOT" situations. I was chaining firing last night against a mech trying to flame me.

Earlier I was playing a flamer mech and it does come down to correctly picking targets if you are relying on them. All lasers are great, all ballistics is bad.

I've been doing something lately that is just wrong. I have a Stealth Flea with 3 flamers. I wait till the two groups coming into contact and then I run around flaming the enemy. I'm always amazed when an enemy Mech or two walks right past me. I had 10 assists in one game, lol.

and like 32 damage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users