Crossfire Setup That Does Not Work

2 replies to this topic

#1 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

I'm looking for some hardware info on people that have crossfire NOT working properly on 7970/7950 GPUs. More specifically those GPUs since they share an almost identical chip. 78xx and 77xx have a similar core, but its more of a cousin than a brother.

This thread is a fork off the "Crossfirex setup that works correctly sli that others have working" thread.

Some people have gotten their setup working with the HD7xxx series, other's haven't. I'm interested in what motherboard chipset you have along with drivers and bios versions.

My setup:
Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H
BIOS: Tried F18 and F20 bios
Drivers: Tried 4.65 (2012) and 9.4.0.1027 (11/26/2013)
2xSapphire 7970
BIOS Version: 015.012.000.004.000346(113-c3860100-100)
Drivers: Tried 13.8-14.3
Corsair 850 (w/ a 70a 12v rail)

I'll try to update this post with the 'does not work' setups, and make notes if someone has the same setup, but has it working in an effort to track down this issue. I am taking the time on doing this because I have already spent literally dozens of hours and many weekends trying to figure this out.

-------------------------------------------------

I am experiences several CF issues.
1) No scaling, or even worse frame rates. Using the "Default", Bioshock and Cryengine games as the profile (and many others), I get no scaling or Even worse performance. GPU usage between the cards is within 7% of each other.
2) Flickering. There is a constant screen flicker. Sometimes its like alternating black screens, other times when sitting still the image is just 1/2 brightness with a light flickering appearance.
3) Ghosting. I get flickering of a ghost image, either the mechlab, or of the level terrain.

Both 2 and 3 are with the AFR profile. I get 100% scaling, or double the framerate as single card.

This happens in eyefinity or on a single screen. With eyefinity off I have tried only DP, and only DVI ports, same issue. With eyefinity enabled, I'm limited to only DP or a mix of DP+DVI, again-same issues.

Vsync on or off, it does not matter, but I would prefer to have vsync off.

I tried game settings from Low to Very High. Damage glow on and off.

I have tried different user.cfg settings; r_multigpu=1,r_flush=0, r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0 (which is in the system.cfg file by default, set to 0)

ULPS is disabled. I always have this disabled because it doesn't save me any power at the wall, and it allows MSI AB to function properly; detecting the 2nd card and showing temp/voltage/usage without having to restart AB after starting a game.

I have tried 3 different crossfire bridges, on both the CF connections on the cards. I tried setting setting PCI-Extpress Gen2 in the BIOS, still same issues. I swapped the cards around.

Most of what I tried was just to try because MWO is the ONLY game which this happens on regardless of in game or driver settings. I have a backup windows install that is just a straight up vanilla windows 7 install, but it is the same on that Windows 7 install as well. iRacing does this with certain CF profiles, but I can at least get that program to run with good scaling and no flickering. I have a large games library to test other games out on, and none of them experience this flickering.

Thinking back a few years when I had Nvidia SLI GTX275s I had a shadow flicker issue in the MWLL mod for Crysis occasionally, some drivers did it with certain versions of the mod, some didn't. MWO worked perfect in SLI with those cards, perfect 100% scaling, no flickers or glitches at all.

Nothing is overheating, that I know of. All major components where temperature sensors are located are well within operating tolerances. I have an Antec300 case with 2x120mm fans blowing in the friont, 1x120mm on the side blowing directly on the GPUs and NB/SB chipset, and a 120mm on the rear and 1x140 on the top exhausting along with the cards and PSU ( http://i.imgur.com/tu0ce5J.jpg ). Wiring is not as tidy as I'd like, but its not like they are obstructing airflow. Even at 50% speed nothing gets anywhere near what would be considered 'hot'. I use a RivaTuner (http://i.imgur.com/kkb79aD.png ), HWInfo ( http://i.imgur.com/zLCbLSM.png ), and MSI AB ( http://i.imgur.com/bnZGQjW.png ) to monitor my system when needed.

Shamous13 (author of the CF settings that works thread) ran into me on the NGNG teamspeak and we talked about it for a little while and except for trying a card in the 3rd PCI-E slot, we've covered the bases. Pretty much the only thing I have not tried was running one of the cards in my 3rd PCI-express slot. I haven't tried this because I don't have room in my case and I'm not about to pull everything apart for an issue in just one single game and I do not believe it is a hardware issue.

Edited by frag85, 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

MWO doesn't officially have support for SLI or CrossFire.
I have been waiting for MWO to have this support, best of luck.

Such a shame that so long after it's official release that MWO doesn't have any support for SLI and CrossFire.
Tick Tock...

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Greetings all,

SLI support is being worked on, right now. Should be available within this months patch's.

Unless issues arise. Track IR will be avail soon, and they are looking at Oculus Ver 2 which really suits MWO for gameplay.

9erRed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users