795 replies to this topic

#341 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostRoland, on 07 April 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

It would be freaking tragic if they really did have things like actuator damage affecting your aim and stuff, but removed it because it was reported as a bug... Rather than simply explaining that it wasn't actually a bug.

I mean, that's exactly the kind of stuff that folks wanted out of this game... The only thing that was missing was some explanation of what was happening.

You mean like when convergence was removed and the answer was "What? No, not that we know of" or something like that.

Edited by Roadbeer, 07 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#342 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 07 April 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

You mean like when convergence was removed and the answer was "What? No, not that we know of" or something like that.

So, if we get information, people will abuse it?

Gee, tell the newbies about "ghost heat".. oh wait, the Hunchback-4P Trial Champion won't be able to help you there!

I think the irony here is that I still have questions about how stuff works in this game, like how HS (usually DHS) in the 275+ engines protect the CT, but PGI isn't willing to answer such a relatively relevant question... but, they are sure to tell you that "we'll give you an Urbie on Urbie Day" or something like that...

Edited by Deathlike, 07 April 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#343 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Guys guys guys....It's peanut butter jelly time peanut butter jelly time peanut butter jelly time!!!!!

nom nom nom!

Anyways as a solo player, you are gonna get rolled probably quite a few times but you will as long as you are fairly skilled will do rolling as well. If they mess with it too much then the game just wont be playable

#344 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 07 April 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

(1) Well, your sources and mine differ on this fact, So I continued my argument using your data which came from PGIs public announcements.

(2) This is where you and I have differed in many conversations. The only way I can sum it up is this example:
You plant a garden and water it for several months, then you stop watering it and a drought resistant grass starts to invade your garden, then you suddenly are amazed that your beautiful garden is choked with grasses.

(3) See, you're already wrong here, shortly after Closed Beta is when the large group function was removed, so your "live" players and most of the Open Beta players had no concept that there was once a larger group function, nor have they really been provided with any tools to find one outside visiting the forums or in-game "spam".

(4) What exactly do you think the Founders and Closed Beta players had by the time it went Open beta. IIRC, there were less than 10 mechs at the time of OB, and maybe 6 or 8 more by the time "launch" came around. Much of the modules and other systems were basically broken or ineffectual so to say that the Founders came out w/o a need for Cbills or having everything they need is somewhat ridiculous. Furthermore I'm completely lost at what any of this has to do with what I've been talking in about in 3 different threads with you so far, but let's soldier on.

(5) Actually, by Launch, a large portion of the playerbase had already become disgusted with the grouping mechanic and had left the game and the 12 player queue was already showing signs of being a ghost town. So the 1.6m number at this point is accounts, not active players, but I digress.

(6) Ok, we've gotten somewhere, however, none of this 'analysis' reflects on the fact that without group support and the fact that creating a group has always had it's problems, you attribute peoples desire to solo ignoring the fact, that for the most part, they don't know any better.

(7) I'm going to combine these two points as, I have made no bones about sharing the House Marik data to show how they have impacted groups with their decisions, and it was sharing this data,along with a long conversation between myself and others on Twitter that ultimately resulted in "spamming" which was probably a contributing factor. But believe me, I know people who have been blocked for much less. They don't like having uncomfortable facts show to them. That's why you don't see them very active on their own forums.

Wow, you do go on don't you? You're kind of all over the place here, makes it difficult to respond...

(8) Ok, this isn't my best practices, it's yours. You answer your own questions in an attempt to show you're being objective. In mine you'd have asked the questions requiring that I answer before you move on. It's kind of a trap that you fell into in that other thread, or maybe it was this one, either way, I got to use Algebra to destroy your argument. That was kinda neat.

(1) Fine, what official PGI source are quoting that details the statistical sample size as small and insignificant as you insinuated as support for your commentary?

(2) Sure, what if its winter? What if it's the tropical wet season? What if it's a plant disease, or pest infestation? You present a worst case scenario and still refuse to acknowledge there are other scenarios just as plausible that maybe do and maybe don't suit your argument. The outcome can be affected by more than the assumptions you have insinuated.

(3) See, I'm actually right. Whether the players had or had not the tools for team play, there are indeed more players, which dilutes the population of team players. It's also kinda silly to assume they would all be team players if they had the tools. If you're making that argument than the other side can simply say no, they would have all been solo players. Neither side of that argument has any substance. But there are more players.

(4) I don't know how to say it any better. The point is that the new players will have a different behaviour in game than the founders. They (generally) will rely on C-Bills to a higher degree to build mech stables etc. Ergo, the percentage of their time farming will be higher, and will be an impact on the statistics. You are comparing to different demographics with different needs and trying to condense their behaviour down to one factor, that can't work.

(5) Says you with your limited evidence of anecdotal substantiation. My point was not to argue the numbers were accurate (I thought that was fairly clear) but to demonstrate the methodology.

(6) Nor do any of your assumptions confirm that Pre Made Group Play is indeed the preferred game mode for the majority of players. It clearly is for you and we all get that.

(7) OK, fine. I'm just saying that imo you do yourself a dis service. The majority of the MW:O population seems pretty mature and well educated and they would be worldly enough to know there is two sides to every story. Most people will ask themselves what did Roadbeer actually say to get blocked, cause thats an extreme reaction for the position those guys hold in the company.

(8) LOL, sure, w/e. Pretty sure on that thread you even amended one of my answers for me to justify the pre loaded questions you had. Just because I put the answers next to them, doesn't mean they were not just as driven at a specific outcome, a point which your algebra analogy (not withstanding it was a poor analogy as was pointed out subsequently by others) failed to include spectularly.

But tell you what, you keep on keeping on.

#345 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 April 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

So, if we get information, people will abuse it?

Ironically, that's actually the premise of this very thread. They peeled back layers shrouding how MM is going to work and I went "A HA!"

Gee, tell the newbies about "ghost heat".. oh wait, the Hunchback-4P Trial Champion won't be able to help you there!

Lulz!

I think the irony here is that I still have questions about how stuff works in this game, like how HS (usually DHS) in the 275+ engines protect the CT, but PGI isn't willing to answer such a relatively relevant question... but, they are sure to tell you that "we'll give you an Urbie on Urbie Day" or something like that...

Same, there are many systems in this game that just have to point to and say "Because of space gnomes" and so much that is misunderstood by the general playerbase we get the wild swings of BUFF and NERF.

The recent lurmpocalypse is a great example. I've been using my CPLT-C1(f) exclusively since the stat reset because I'm sick of looking for modules. Now, I'm fairly effective with LRMs after having used them a lot over the last two years, but if LRMs were so damn OP, then why are the stats with my LRM15+ARTEMIS showing a 38.8 hit rate?

#346 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostRoland, on 07 April 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

It would be freaking tragic if they really did have things like actuator damage affecting your aim and stuff, but removed it because it was reported as a bug... Rather than simply explaining that it wasn't actually a bug.

I mean, that's exactly the kind of stuff that folks wanted out of this game... The only thing that was missing was some explanation of what was happening.

PGI have the worst in game and out of game communications skills i have ever seen.

The lack of explaination, the lack of detail, the lack of effort is astounding.

I am still baffled how they get any new players to stay with this game without explaining the complixities.

Though the constant dumbing down of the game in some areas seems to make sense but then they patch in overly complicated solutions to problems and do not explain.

My prediction is that this is effectivly still a beta (we knew that) and they will continue to gradually make it more viable until it is at a point they can release it on steam to cash in on masses of new players - but they know they cannot do that now because the new player experience is so dire.

That still does not explain the appauling lack of in game communication to players on how to do the basic stuff ... hell if i was new to this game I would have dropped it a long time ago

#347 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 07 April 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Ironically, that's actually the premise of this very thread. They peeled back layers shrouding how MM is going to work and I went "A HA!"

Lulz!

Same, there are many systems in this game that just have to point to and say "Because of space gnomes" and so much that is misunderstood by the general playerbase we get the wild swings of BUFF and NERF.

The recent lurmpocalypse is a great example. I've been using my CPLT-C1(f) exclusively since the stat reset because I'm sick of looking for modules. Now, I'm fairly effective with LRMs after having used them a lot over the last two years, but if LRMs were so damn OP, then why are the stats with my LRM15+ARTEMIS showing a 38.8 hit rate?
Ah, yes. I had that very conversation with a fellow a while ago, who was crying about how OP LRM's were. Kept insinuating that I was making things up that my direct fire accuracy was twice that, and claiming I was full of crap. Roland, too, IIRC. All I can say is that LRM's may indeed appear overpowered if one thinks a 38% hit rate is a good conversion of ammo to damage done.

#348 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 07 April 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

That still does not explain the appauling lack of in game communication to players on how to do the basic stuff ... hell if i was new to this game I would have dropped it a long time ago

I've actually used this to explain the learning curve in other games to my friends as we're looking for something to play that supports groups.

Friend 1 "God this game is annoying"
Me: "It's actually not that bad, Imagine getting into MWO without having been there since Closed Beta and try to figure out how everything works if you hadn't been there all along with the changes"
Friend 1 "Good point, how do you do this again?"

#349 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 07 April 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Ah, yes. I had that very conversation with a fellow a while ago, who was crying about how OP LRM's were. Kept insinuating that I was making things up that my direct fire accuracy was twice that, and claiming I was full of crap. Roland, too, IIRC. All I can say is that LRM's may indeed appear overpowered if one thinks a 38% hit rate is a good conversion of ammo to damage done.

For the record, I don't believe I ever suggested LRM's were OP in recent days... Although I absolutely may have called you out on claims of exceptionally high accuracy rates. In the last LRM thread, we had folks saying "It's easy to have an accuracy rate of over 80% with direct fire weapons!" and then when pressed, eventually admitted that THEIR accuracy rates were actually much closer to 50% (although laughably, some of them were claiming that this was a result of them missing on purpose.. I have no idea who said that though. I only remember it made me laugh my ass off.)

#350 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 06 April 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

So, because my friends and I all play together, it's safe to assume that for the most part, we'll reside in the same bucket, and with the stats page, it'll be pretty safe to assume which 'bucket' we reside in for each weight class. It's not an exact science, but with a little guesstimating, it should be fairly easy to accomplish.

Ok, so, here's where I get a little confused. How is this any different from now, except that you and your friends can't all drop in assaults? Assuming that all of this makes it easier for you to sync-drop into a match (and, as you yourself note, we are making a lot of assumptions, here. What with all the "safe to assume," "for the most part," "pretty safe to assume," "It's not an exact science," "guesstimating," and "should be" :P ) aren't the other three "solos" you are trying to sync with just as likely to wind up on the other team as they are on yours?

I've got plenty of lights, mediums, and even a heavy (Loves me some Cat!). I don't have an assault, but I'm not predicting this will be a problem, because (as you note) predictable premades will want that work. 4x3 doesn't scare me. The people who are tearing up like schoolgirls with skinned knees are the ones who only run heavies/assaults, and still barely pull their weight. If you're a solo PUG who barely manages 300 points of damage and a kill in your metapoplanderphract, you should be terrified right now. Save yourself some heartache and just uninstall; that's what you're going to do anyway after you spend a few games dying horribly in a medium because you've been tonnage-crutching all this time. At least this way you can spare yourself the shame of knowing that you were only ever as good as your biggest mech allowed you to be.

As for sync-drops, who cares? I've never been through it myself, but it seems like a lot more of a hassle than just finding five more bodies for an even 12. But maybe that's even harder, and sync-dropping is the way to go. All I know is that it makes me want to stick to the solo PUG arena, where I run what I want, drop in fast, and perform well. Teamwork may be OP, but you make grouping sound like such a chore that I wonder if its worth it.

#351 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 07 April 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Ok, so, here's where I get a little confused. How is this any different from now, except that you and your friends can't all drop in assaults? Assuming that all of this makes it easier for you to sync-drop into a match (and, as you yourself note, we are making a lot of assumptions, here. What with all the "safe to assume," "for the most part," "pretty safe to assume," "It's not an exact science," "guesstimating," and "should be" :P ) aren't the other three "solos" you are trying to sync with just as likely to wind up on the other team as they are on yours?

I've got plenty of lights, mediums, and even a heavy (Loves me some Cat!). I don't have an assault, but I'm not predicting this will be a problem, because (as you note) predictable premades will want that work. 4x3 doesn't scare me. The people who are tearing up like schoolgirls with skinned knees are the ones who only run heavies/assaults, and still barely pull their weight. If you're a solo PUG who barely manages 300 points of damage and a kill in your metapoplanderphract, you should be terrified right now. Save yourself some heartache and just uninstall; that's what you're going to do anyway after you spend a few games dying horribly in a medium because you've been tonnage-crutching all this time. At least this way you can spare yourself the shame of knowing that you were only ever as good as your biggest mech allowed you to be.

As for sync-drops, who cares? I've never been through it myself, but it seems like a lot more of a hassle than just finding five more bodies for an even 12. But maybe that's even harder, and sync-dropping is the way to go. All I know is that it makes me want to stick to the solo PUG arena, where I run what I want, drop in fast, and perform well. Teamwork may be OP, but you make grouping sound like such a chore that I wonder if its worth it.

Thats the other side of Roadbeers argument, it is a chore (EDIT: for teams greater than 4) and he thinks it shouldn't be (he's not alone btw)

This thread is a side presentation to that issue, albeit with a different flavour.

Basically, if PGI are not going to listen to us, heres how it will be easier for us to game the system.

Edited by Craig Steele, 07 April 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#352 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 07 April 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

I've actually used this to explain the learning curve in other games to my friends as we're looking for something to play that supports groups.

Friend 1 "God this game is annoying"
Me: "It's actually not that bad, Imagine getting into MWO without having been there since Closed Beta and try to figure out how everything works if you hadn't been there all along with the changes"
Friend 1 "Good point, how do you do this again?"

Wow ... so the new marketing tagline for other games suffering poor user experience might be

Hey - at least it aint MWO!

They could write a little jingle for that ...

EDIT: I really need to stop being so negative, i try to stay positive about this but wow its getting harder when I think about how poorly served the entire brand of mechwarrior is because of this iteration. I am so close to it as to feel damaged when it is damaged which is pretty sad =/

Edited by Asmudius Heng, 07 April 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#353 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostRoland, on 07 April 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

For the record, I don't believe I ever suggested LRM's were OP in recent days... Although I absolutely may have called you out on claims of exceptionally high accuracy rates. In the last LRM thread, we had folks saying "It's easy to have an accuracy rate of over 80% with direct fire weapons!" and then when pressed, eventually admitted that THEIR accuracy rates were actually much closer to 50% (although laughably, some of them were claiming that this was a result of them missing on purpose.. I have no idea who said that though. I only remember it made me laugh my ass off.)
no, my claims where fairly low - and where accurate, as my posted stats after showed - 50-80%, depending on the weapon, and roughly twice my LRM accuracy, which was the point (and which where pretty damn average numbers all around). But the guy was saying the same things to you. At least, I'm pretty sure it was you, though I could be wrong. Can't find the thread on my phone. He shut right up after the screenshots though.

Anyways, this is all rather off topic :P

#354 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Thats the other side of Roadbeers argument, it is a chore (EDIT: for teams greater than 4) and he thinks it shouldn't be (he's not alone btw)
This thread is a side presentation to that issue, albeit with a different flavour.
Basically, if PGI are not going to listen to us, heres how it will be easier for us to game the system.

I don't know, my point is that you can sync-drop now anyway, except with class limits, you won't be able to do it with 7 D-DCs (or Victors, or Highlanders, or Jenners...you get the idea). I'm not seeing how 4x3 makes it "easier to game the system."

#355 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

To bring tears to everyone's eyes and to put us back on topic...
A vision of Community Warfare based on the CW reveal at Launch and hinted information with weight limits based on dropships, planetary take over, repair and rearm, garrisons, base-building, reinforcements, multi-wave combat, etc.
Now crushed by 3/3/3/3 in all non-"premium private" matches.

And then this hilarious commander's voice... to bring us right back off topic. :P

#356 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 April 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

As much as we hate to say this, what makes the founders upset is that 100% of the Founder's Program funding went to "other projects." This angered many of us. I'm a bit more understanding, as "other projects" includes most of it to "bailing out of near bankruptcy" after Microsoft strong-holed PGI until it nearly sank underwater with "Mechwarrior 5."

Through research. MW5 was being forced as a third person game by Microsoft in the vain of MechAssault. Xbox 360 only. So much money potential was lost that the budget couldn't hope to be recovered, development shifted to an Xbox Arcade title (doomed anyone?), and finally was abandoned completely with no hope of ever recovering. A 'porting' service of sorts of Duke Nukem 3D is the only thing that kept the company from drowning in bankruptcy.

This can be confirmed in the now nearly impossible to find Devleoper Blogs.
This is Dev Blog 0.
There are 5 in total. Sorry, 6 in total. 0 through 5. Impossible to acquire through search and requires exploring date folders individually; a huge pain in the ass!
This was dev blog 3.
And since I was looking, here's the Dragon announcement.

Afterward, Smith and Tinker (formerly FASA) said "We got some of the rights back from Microsoft." PGI made a clause; that PGI would have sole control over development of this new Mechwarrior project, later named Mechwarrior Online. A number of the lore friendly traits from MW5's demonstration trailer were subsequently abandoned to suit certain whims. Primarily SRMs and Autocannons taking on the firing form of Rifles (i.e. tank cannons) instead of lore's burst and automatic fire autocannons (basically the Abrams 120mm cannon would equate to a Whirlwind AC/5, requiring back to back shots from it to equal 5 damage).

Class 5 Autocannons. GM Whirlwind = 120mm (Sources: Thunder ridge & Wolves on the border) -Marauder Notes: -3 round bursts.

Yes. Founder's program made them money. No, none or virtually very little of it got spent on MWO. Indeed, this is why founders can be quite arrogant. Between that, and the game's shift from simulation to this near Call of Battlehalo shooter we have now, abandoning of many of MWO's core design pillars, and being forsaken from the target audience has made many a founder quite upset.

This game at the start targeted what became the founder program buyers. Role warfare. Information warfare. Attack, defense, working monitors, explorable cockpit, engineers working on the mechs, repair and rearm, community warfare, galactic conquest-based economy, logistics and dropships, actuator damage, heat penalties, graphics, audio, the list goes on and on.
Spoiler

Though I agree. Money is an expenditure, and they frequently need more income. While it's true that Founders do not and will never have the game that we actually paid for back then, our money didn't do anything for this game, and the continued development of it relies on the money of those willing to spend it. Having spent money on the game in the past doesn't entitle anyone to a high opinion of themselves.

I, personally, have spent beyond 800 dollars on this game and even I am not that arrogant. Yes, I am disgusted with numerous slaps to lore's face when its very clear that many of the things in lore (not tabletop, the lore) could bring about significantly better balancing than anything PGI's ever tried so far. And no, I do not believe my opinion or that of anyone else's will change the entire game into something better or that I should therefore be entitled to a bunch of stuff I didn't pay for.

I hope that settles the dispute that you and whoever the other guy is. :P Damn my fingers hurt. *Grabs throttlestick.* Onward my Dragons and Awesomes, it's time to cry at poor balance while spitting in the face of ghost heat and killing some of these freebirths!

HOLY **** KONNIVING!!!

DO you have ANY idea how long I have been looking for that information. The disappearance of smith and tinker in the mw project has completely baffled me and Russ was not too forthcoming about it. Good gravy that's some good stuff.

#357 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

View Post42and19, on 07 April 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

DO you have ANY idea how long I have been looking for that information. The disappearance of smith and tinker in the mw project has completely baffled me and Russ was not too forthcoming about it. Good gravy that's some good stuff.

Dev Blogs 0, 1 and I believe 2 are what you want to dig up.
Beyond that, even I don't know what happened to Smith and Tinker. At some point PGI negotiated sole control over it (PGI was sour after the crap Microsoft pulled) and that's pretty much it. I used PGI and MWO as a college research paper project back in 2012. Btw, Russ, Bryan, and some other dude started their game development career by making a "Die Hard" mod on Half Life. Fox shut 'em down, then at some point they actually got hired to make it anyway (very paraphrased mind you 'cause it's just something I don't remember or care about that well; been a few years).

But back to the more on topic stuff. Like that post on page 6.

#358 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Sometimes I sit and wonder if Russ and Bryan want this game to fail. They make an act of listening to the community and then do either the exact opposite or something completely different. Some of their decisions have been so harebrained that you have to wonder just how stoned they were. (the removing of the fire select weapon group fiasco for example)

I find my self saying something similar to "at least it isn't mwo" all the time.

Granted I still play this game but that is because my only other option for stompy mech action is to either pirate the older titles or play...*shudder* hawken....*gag*

I don't know, I feel like that at this point PGI has kinda given up. They know that nothing they can possibly do will make the existing community happy. Maybe they figure if they can get rid of us founder fogies they can finally get a community that will swallow their shit, throw money at them and thank them for it.

#359 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 07 April 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

I don't know, my point is that you can sync-drop now anyway, except with class limits, you won't be able to do it with 7 D-DCs (or Victors, or Highlanders, or Jenners...you get the idea). I'm not seeing how 4x3 makes it "easier to game the system."

Roadbeer goes on later in the thread (and amends the OP) to highlight that what he first said was not his actual position, rather he designed the OP / title to stimulate discussion.

His amendment (after a few people posted demonstrating otherwise) is that it is EASIER than currently effected in the game, not "EASY" as first detailed.

He is not wrong with his amended view, knowing the system better does facilitate gaming the system but it's not going to be "easy" and certainly not 100% foolproof. Basically if your pre made team fills (say) 10 of the mech choices (3A, 3H, 3M, 1L) then there is a higher chance some of you will end up in the same team, as you meet that team criteria. The theory is no different to all the mech min maxing that goes on in game too. The more you know, the more you can manipulate.

What mystifies me is why when the Dev's have clearly said that Pre made Teams are an impact on game balance, why people look to to make it happen anyway. I mean I get "playing with my friends", but surely stomping all over PUG's gets boring at some stage, and in the mean time balance be damned as long I have the advantages? As long as we are having fun, thats what matters? I guess? I'm sure the reasons are as various as the individuals.

All I forsee happening is a heap off threads complaining about lack of competition and getting stomped again, and a lot of replies along the lines of "Learn To Play Noob", or "Join a Team if you want to compete" and the PUGs saying "I don't have time for that" or "But I don't like Voice" and circle keeps spinning around.

PGI are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

My suggestion is if you like the game, play it.

#360 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

View Post42and19, on 07 April 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

Sometimes I sit and wonder if Russ and Bryan want this game to fail. They make an act of listening to the community and then do either the exact opposite or something completely different. Some of their decisions have been so harebrained that you have to wonder just how stoned they were. (the removing of the fire select weapon group fiasco for example)

No... I can confidently say that Russ and Bryan don't want this game to fail.

However, they will do "as minimally viable" as possible to keep getting paychecks. If that means selling you a new hero mech and new chassis every month... so be it.

If your vision doesn't coincides with theirs, too bad. You have no say. That's why the "vote for no 3PV in 12-mans" was a complete sham. If you voted "no" in the hopes that it would trickle down to the main queues, that would never happen. If you votes "yes" for whatever reason, well, it would just reaffirm whoever's vision it was originally (it doesn't even have to be Russ or Bryan's vision... because you need to factor in where the money comes from).

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users