795 replies to this topic

#81 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostRoland, on 06 April 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

You realize that in the actual game you aren't going to have to pay for ships, right? Those costs currently are basically part of the crowd funding effort.

Although, honestly, if you want to get in the alpha you can buy one of the cheap packages for like 20 bucks.

There are only like 3k slots left in the alpha though, having sold packages to nearly half a million players already, so you better hurry if you want in early.

And with my...

6,000th Post!

Yeah, I just bought in, think I'd learn from MWO not to buy in until the complete game is released, but I had to see what everyone is talking about.

#82 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostSLDF DeathlyEyes, on 06 April 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Shadow Hawks Victors and Highlanders are the best mechs in the game <_<

Exactly. Shadowhawks are better than Dragons, which weigh more. Thats why tonnage limits don't work.

View PostRoadbeer, on 06 April 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

And with my...

6,000th Post!

Yeah, I just bought in, think I'd learn from MWO not to buy in until the complete game is released, but I had to see what everyone is talking about.

Does that mean you are done? ;)

#83 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostDavers, on 06 April 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Does that mean you are done? ;)

Nah, but my emotional investment is.

Plus it *was* money that PGI was going to get on a Clan a la carte... See what happens when you **** around PGI?

#84 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostZolaz, on 06 April 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Has PGI kept any of its pillars?

It brings a tear to my eye, but truth be told none of its design pillars are upheld except cluttered terrain.

#85 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostZolaz, on 06 April 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Has PGI kept any of its pillars?

Yep, the main one - $$$

#86 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostRouken, on 06 April 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

I think any system will have some way it can be gamed. Overall I like the idea of 3/3/3/3 but you do raise a good point.

I'm not sure what you could do to 3/3/3/3 itself to prevent this but I can think of one way to mitigate it.

Lets change the 12 vs 12 queue (which will probably be pretty vacant after private matches arrive) into an "unlimited" queue. In this queue anything goes, any group size, any tonnage, any number of groups per team. Give us a launch option to be included into both queues and maybe an slight reward increase if we are going in lone wolf or in groups smaller than 4.

You may still have people gaming the 3/3/3/3 but I'd be willing to wager the majority of people who will do this are doing it to play in their groups, not to stomp pugs.

Exactly this ... once private match making comes in thqats were organised 12 vs 12 can go .... the rest can use the unlimited group queue.

If i go solo i would STILL go the group queue because i know i will probably hand most of the my team on TS and i can follow them around and work with them rather than knowing i will get randoms who have not yet learned teamplay.

I was a bit wishy washy on this idea before but the more i see of it the more i want it.

I do not mind 3/3/3/3 for a solo queue i think its a good idea for abalanced game when you just chuck randoms together or smaller groups who are not playing remotely hardcore.

Though balancing the group queue tonnage wise might need to be somehow looked into if that was the case

#87 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Am I the only one who things 3/3/3/3 is going to be extremely boring? Knowing there will be 3 lights every single match, 3 mediums every single match... It just sounds so dull.

#88 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

View Postwarner2, on 06 April 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Am I the only one who things 3/3/3/3 is going to be extremely boring? Knowing there will be 3 lights every single match, 3 mediums every single match... It just sounds so dull.

No, you're not the only one.

PGI: Slowly sucking the fun out of Big Stompy Robots since 3049.

Edited by Roadbeer, 06 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#89 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

The second link in my signature offers a solution for weight limits which is far more interesting and dynamic than the 3/3/3/3 idea.

That being said, I wouldn't even mind the 3/3/3/3 idea, if only we were allowed to easily play with our friends.

#90 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

No, you're not the only one.

PGI: Slowly sucking the fun out of Big Stompy Robots since 3049.

As opposed to now when you're more wondering if it's going to be just 5 assaults or 7 that you're dropping against this time?
And wondering if you're going to have turrets that will prevent your lighter team from capping the enemy because the tards in the Fat Teams are not smart enough to position themselves so that they can move back and defend their base before it gets capped?

Edited by Mavairo, 06 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#91 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostMavairo, on 06 April 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

As opposed to now when you're more wondering if it's going to be just 5 assaults or 7 that you're dropping against this time?
And wondering if you're going to have turrets that will prevent your lighter team from capping the enemy because the tards in the Fat Teams are not smart enough to position themselves so that they can move back and defend their base before it gets capped?

Posted Image

#92 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Can someone explain why they are taking a 2800 point scale (2800 buckets) and condensing it into 3 buckets, and someone how think this will result in better balance of player skill in a game????

#93 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostChemie, on 06 April 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

Can someone explain why they are taking a 2800 point scale (2800 buckets) and condensing it into 3 buckets, and someone how think this will result in better balance of player skill in a game????

From the "Dartboard of Balance", Bad Ideas Inc™ has come up with an incredibly minimally viable product for everyone!

It's called "Balance is Blind", based off the well known concept known as "Just Less for Everyone". This product came about from "lies, damn lies, and statistics" and "people who play their own game".

Fear not, everything will be solved when you receive your product on April 29th (or whenever it happens to be, due to delays).

And wait, there's more! If you think there's already "congested queues" or "long waiting times", imagine that some of the queues will be flat out struggling, unless you take the "express lane queues" aka taking a medium mech.. only because everyone else has bought into AssaultWarrior Online where "bigger is better™".

Enjoy!

#94 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

This is why max group size should be 2. That way reliable sync dropping of this sort is impossible.

#95 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostKhobai, on 06 April 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

This is why max group size should be 2. That way reliable sync dropping of this sort is impossible.

That is quite probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on this forum.

And I hang in K Town

#96 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

That is quite probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on this forum.

Not really. This game is based off World of Tanks and max group size in WoT is 2 (3 with premium). Groups of 4 are simply not balanced in online games of this type.

This game has had massive balance issues with premade vs pug since closed beta. The reality is premade vs pug will never work, no matter how much you tweak ELO, or try to limit weight classes. Premades simply influence the outcome of the game too greatly in their favor.

PGI has been continually struggling with trying to balance premades for almost 2 years. Its time for them to just accept the fact nothing they do will ever balance it, knock group size down to 2 so you can still play with one friend, and leave it at that. And with premades out of the picture, ELO and weight class fixing might actually work to balance teams.

Edited by Khobai, 06 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#97 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, max group size of two, so the game dies almost immediately and can move on to another developer. I can back that plan!

#98 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostRoland, on 06 April 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

Yeah, max group size of two, so the game dies almost immediately and can move on to another developer. I can back that plan!

"Almost" immediately might not be quick enough! I think we should nuke the entire site from orbit set the premade size limit to 1 for faster results. It's the only way to be sure.

#99 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 April 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

&quot;Almost&quot; immediately might not be quick enough! I think we should nuke the entire site from orbit set the premade size limit to 1 for faster results. It's the only way to be sure.

But we can't do that because then khobai won't be able to play with his one friend.

The only reasonable course of action is for the limit to be two, so that he can play with his one friend, but no larger group that might have an advantage over him can exist.

Only that is fair.

#100 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

According to PGis stats 85% of players drop solo. And half the remaining 15% drop in groups of 2.

So only 7-8% of the player base would be affected. Certainly the game would not die. Thats a gross exaggeration.

But we can't do that because then khobai won't be able to play with his one friend.

I have one friend? who is it? I didnt think I had any....

The fact remains premades fundamentally upset game balance. You cant drop a group of 4 into a game of mostly pugs and not expect it to influence the outcome of the game. A group of 2 is unlikely to alter the outcome of the game though. And since groups of 2 are the most common group size it makes sense to cap groups at 2.

Edited by Khobai, 06 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users