27 replies to this topic

#21 McQueen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 187 posts
  • LocationOff grid

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Please don't stone me, but an aimbot that steady your aim near a targeted mech could help ballistic and energy weapons. I'm not talking about auto aim, but more like a precision aim setting on a gaming mouse. It would ignore erratic motions after you pull the trigger till you release. The balance would come in that it would slow down your reaction speed as long as you are targeting someone.

#22 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostRubidiy, on 10 April 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I really start to admire PGI. They're so inventive in making mechwarrior experience worse over and over again...
How inexplicably dumb you should be to implement a bullshit that allows everyone with poor aim to hit light mechs with ballistics or PPCs???

Making it easier to hit things has always been the function of the targeting computer, and quipping it costs tonnage and criticals.

View PostArmando, on 11 April 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

How about the targeting computer telling us how many friendly pilots are also targeting the enemy mech. (A number next to the solid triangle)

As examples...
You plus one friendly pilots targeting enemy mech there is a '2' next to the solid triangle
You plus three friendly pilots targeting enemy mech there is a '4' next to the solid triange

This is an interesting idea, and would probably help get a good focus fire going.

View PostSandpit, on 10 April 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

I'd rather it do something more along the lines of increasing lock speeds, decreasing ecm range, etc. but it's been a paperweight for 2 years and will probably remain so.

We already have bap and artemis for missiles though, so adding more with t-comp might be overboard.

#23 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Since the lead reticule was mentioned in this thread already, there is another option that is pretty simple:

Set convergence of weapons to currently targeted enemy.

Bam. Done. Leave it at that. If you lead a target properly, the guns will still converge on the target even if your reticule is 300 meters behind it. Downside, if you have the wrong target selected you will have poor convergence in your weapon systems. Considering how many Clan mechs are arm heavy in weapons, it would very much help Clan mechs out having a forced convergence system in Targeting Computers.

#24 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I like the leading idea.

Perhaps some sort of built in chainfire/macro could help the laser weapons in those cases.

I rather want to try 12 SPLs macro'd to the Nyancat theme...

#25 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 April 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Since the lead reticule was mentioned in this thread already, there is another option that is pretty simple:

Set convergence of weapons to currently targeted enemy.

Bam. Done. Leave it at that. If you lead a target properly, the guns will still converge on the target even if your reticule is 300 meters behind it. Downside, if you have the wrong target selected you will have poor convergence in your weapon systems. Considering how many Clan mechs are arm heavy in weapons, it would very much help Clan mechs out having a forced convergence system in Targeting Computers.

How does the convergence work now? I have seen this bandied about in other parts of the forums, but I still don't understand it.

#26 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostSilentium, on 12 April 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

How does the convergence work now? I have seen this bandied about in other parts of the forums, but I still don't understand it.

Instantaneous. Where you point is where they converge. Take some LLs and find the top of a small hill. Fire into the hill, then look at the sky or another far away object. You'll see the convergence in action.

#27 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSilentium, on 12 April 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostMcgral18, on 12 April 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Instantaneous. Where you point is where they converge. Take some LLs and find the top of a small hill. Fire into the hill, then look at the sky or another far away object. You'll see the convergence in action.

To be precise, it instantaneously sets the weapons to converge at the point your reticule is hovering over. Normally this is not a huge deal, but say you are leading a mech. Your reticules are in front of the target and the spot the reticule is over could be several hundred meters farther away from you than your target. This means that if you lead your shots perfectly your damage could still be spread out a bit between two or more sections. Hell, you can even have a partial miss.

The tl;dr version of current convergence is they set to whatever the reticule is over, not to what the target is.

Having a targeting computer override the convergence distance would therefore be a nifty, low impact, and not potentially game breaking way of introducing the targeting comp. Plus, since the mechs that currently pack them carry particle cannons in the arms it serves a practical purpose of getting around the convergence issues that arm weapons have on again off again had since day one.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 12 April 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#28 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 April 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Having a targeting computer override the convergence distance would therefore be a nifty, low impact, and not potentially game breaking way of introducing the targeting comp. Plus, since the mechs that currently pack them carry particle cannons in the arms it serves a practical purpose of getting around the convergence issues that arm weapons have on again off again had since day one.

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. That would be pretty low impact as well, I have to agree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users