• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

ECM, Auto Cannon and LRM limits

None of the above are overpowered unless swarm deployed
I propose to limit the amount of ammo available to the team for these weapons
For example 15tons of ammo per auto cannon type, 30tons of LRM ammo, and 15minits of jamming time.

If any team takes too much ammo, the maximum is divided amongst the team with one ton equalling one share.
If in the case of ECM, ECM is used by more than one mech, the time it takes for your enemy to overcome the overused jamming signal is halved in its duration for two mechs = 7:30minits and a third =5:00minits for three mechs… after which time ECM is no longer effective.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

Your suggestion may be part of CW... or Scenario type. Otherwise I load my bins to suit me, and shoot you! Your suggestion is appreciated but will be met with deadly force if you continue. :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 08 April 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

A: Kudos for thinking outside the box.
B: NO.
C: Da hell?

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

Its not really outside the Box Live. TT has Scenarios where your ammo is restricted due to a long running battle. This would mimic that, but those types of fights are not common in the scenario packs.

#5 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

This type of suggestion seems to come from a desire for balance in the sense that as much as possible, players want teams perfectly matched and dead even so that only supposed skill counts, I gather. Hence any optional resources that could swing a battle, such as ECM, consumables (I'd guess), amount of ammunition brought or the like must be spread out over the team and also equaled between each team.

Issue I have with this is that choice matters and SHOULD matter. Many times we have no choice, in PUG matches of course this is the case... but even in 12 man, the tendency is to choose the team makeup based on whatever "meta" is current working. This often results in over specialization, but you always can choose to add a bit of "support" in your weak area by still bringing a few mechs of the type that is your weakness. This falls under being a well rounded team/regiment. But you can't and should not BALANCE that. A team may choose to do that, while another won't. Elements of the team in PUG drops do this all the time, the evil "premades" built as a concept or well working whole. Even exact tonnage matching goals will not change this fact that precise choices of armament and the skill of the pilots will cause imbalance that cannot be perfectly handicapped. Matching ammo amounts available for the whole team and each team won't do it either and is just another attempt to handicap for that mythical perfect balance desired from alot of shooter fans, who feel all else should be equal, since they are generally used to it from thier other games.

Admittedly though, limited ammo tonnage is appealing as a type of "limiter" for certain private matches eventually, to simulate a long campaign where ammunition is running low, with mechs starting at a percentage of all ammo, i.e. 75%, 50% etc.

Trying to play at balancing amount of "ecm" coverage with tonnage amounts of ammo and even LRM...that seems simplistic and unrealistic. In seeking some sort of perfect balance, it's flawed more than fair, anything in it assumes every team uses all of these things that are being limited so that the equation would be balancing, but often whole teams do go energy heavy, or ECM is not part of thier strategy. Sometimes, one Ecm is ALL YOU NEED. The other team, because dumb luck gave them 3 ecm lights would be in ECM hell, since thier signal would be quickly pierced simply through random puggery and the luck of the draw. Not sensible.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 08 April 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#6 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

keep whining and begging perfect equality. I'm sure Paul would love to double down on 4x3 by forcing all pub drops into trials...

#7 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 08 April 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

keep whining and begging perfect equality. I'm sure Paul would love to double down on 4x3 by forcing all pub drops into trials...

I'd be okay with that as a game mode...

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

You do realize that the more your team spam LRMs, less effective it will be, right?

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 08 April 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

You say that like its a threat :P

#10 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostStardancer01, on 08 April 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

ECM, Auto Cannon and LRM limits

None of the above are overpowered unless swarm deployed
I propose to limit the amount of ammo available to the team for these weapons
For example 15tons of ammo per auto cannon type, 30tons of LRM ammo, and 15minits of jamming time.

If any team takes too much ammo, the maximum is divided amongst the team with one ton equalling one share.
If in the case of ECM, ECM is used by more than one mech, the time it takes for your enemy to overcome the overused jamming signal is halved in its duration for two mechs = 7:30minits and a third =5:00minits for three mechs… after which time ECM is no longer effective.

The first problem I see with the ammo limit suggestion, is that there's no way to know how much ammo will be available for each drop. Wait time for finding a match would increase for some people, as MM would have to sort out all of the typical ELO shit, but then it'd also have to find you a group where your ammo doesn't go over the team limit.

Oh, nevermind. It appears that you actually addressed this in your second paragraph.
That'll teach me to respond half way through reading something.

Admitting that though, I still don't think I'm a fan of this idea. There shouldn't be artificial limits on things like this. It's a slippery slope that we don't want to traverse, otherwise we'll see the day where people are crying out to limit the amount of PPCs or MLs that each team can bring.

If it fits on/in the Mech, you should be able to run it.

Edited by Fut, 08 April 2014 - 05:46 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users