#1 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi there,
this is for anyone having trouble getting the AMD 14.3 beta 1.0 drivers to work, without BSOD all time...

I've been trying to get the drivers to work since they came out and think I might have nailed it!

First of all I downloaded a fresh copy of the driver, after deleting it in frustration many times, and a copy of the AMD driver removal tool. I had been using Drive sweeper to clean the excess files previously.

2nd, I re-booted and set my computer to its default clocks 2.7Ghz stock ram speeds etc...
When I logged in I turned off AVG for 15 mins and ran the AMD removal tool. Once or twice it seemed like the program had stopped responding but it eventually carried on until I was prompted to re-boot. (minus being able to use my mouse!?!?)

3rd, I re-installed the 14.3 Beta 1.0 driver via express options, until again, I was prompted to re-boot.

4th, guess what happened... BSOD! (F***ing!!!****!) ;) So at this point I remembered to disable ULPS via regedit :blink:.Dow! Re-boot time again!

5th, Logged in no BSOD for about half an hour so I decided to try the StarSwarm demo.. No BSOD but it did hang so I thought to myself "What the hell lets clock it back up and see what happens!".

6th, I reset all my OC settings in Bios, CPU 3.7Ghz, Ram adjusted and *PCIe Frequency* (which I've only just stated to play with in the last 2 days, to 120mhz) <----- This Is what I believe has fixed it from "BSOD'ing" all the time.

I say this because I tried all the same OC settings apart from PCIe overclocking last time as I worked my way through the options, clocks, voltages etc.

I've even got the GPU's (2x7770s) running at 1100GPU + 1300Mhz Memory with 10% power increase and its stable.

Hope this can help some people get the best from their cards, it could just be my board, but there seems to be a few having this problem with the new driver. I have an M4a77TD Pro motherboard so Its a touch dated but still keeps up most the time. Next stop water cooling! :mellow:

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

I've been overclocking for 15+ years. CPUs, GPUs, RAM, FSBs, HT-links, PCI speed, AGP speed, PCIe speed ... pretty much everything you can imagine.

In all that time, overclocking has fixed exactly zero problems. I highly doubt it started now.

More than likely, it was one of your BIOS setting resets or you remembering to disable ULPS.

And as far as your PCIe overclock, be careful with that -- on some chipsets, PCIe speed is linked with PCI speed. Depending on which bus your hard drive controllers are attached to, this can set you up for hard drive corruption.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 08 April 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#3 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hi there Durant,
Cheers for the feedback...

I had tried disabling ULPS last time I installed the 14.3 betas but to no avail. The only other thing I have changed since then is the use of the AMD un-installer program, but even using that StarSwarm hung as it was starting and that has happened un-installing via control panel and Drive sweeper as usual...

I'm wondering if these drivers which are supposed to be for the newer generation R9/R7 series, utilising the GNC architecture, are having a hard time slowing down for the latter HD7/8 series?? The newer cards supposedly run at higher frequencies, I think to help them communicate with the CPU?

But I might be mistaken. It just seems logical in a way as I hear a lot of HD owners saying the drivers wont work without cashing.

What do you reckon?

#4 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostWarGruf, on 09 April 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi there Durant,
Cheers for the feedback...

I had tried disabling ULPS last time I installed the 14.3 betas but to no avail. The only other thing I have changed since then is the use of the AMD un-installer program, but even using that StarSwarm hung as it was starting and that has happened un-installing via control panel and Drive sweeper as usual...

I'm wondering if these drivers which are supposed to be for the newer generation R9/R7 series, utilising the GNC architecture, are having a hard time slowing down for the latter HD7/8 series?? The newer cards supposedly run at higher frequencies, I think to help them communicate with the CPU?

But I might be mistaken. It just seems logical in a way as I hear a lot of HD owners saying the drivers wont work without cashing.

What do you reckon?

I used 14.3 beta and it worked well on my fx8350/hd 7970 set up. It worked well on all my games except for MWO which I play more often than the others so I rolled back to 13.12 whql's. 14.1 and above beta drivers are optimized for Mantle and 14.3 added true audio for thief. Sadly, those drivers don't play well with MWO in my system. I got horrible frame time variance, low GPU usage, and super low 5 fps dips on very low settings on both dx9 and 11. Now I'm getting constant 90% is h GPU usage, and my frame rates don't go below 40 fps on dx11 1080p very high msa on.

#5 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Hi there Nick,
I find it pretty crazy how MWO is running so different on everybodys PCs... Now that I have the 14.3 working I get 10Fps increase on DX11, VeryHigh, Post AA, 1600x1200, No AA, around 45-65 with dips to 35 in combat!? Its mental how much this game needs a solid optimising team working on it :)

I'm kinda hoping that the new staff they are taking on gets put on this issue. But in my eyes, I've seen overall improvements in the last two patches... Apart from the LRM river fiasco :o

I think another thing to consider is the Motherboards people use as its a commonly overlooked item by quite a few.

Anyhow, time to go fit an Exhaust system :o

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users