Ecm Capability Should Be Broader

9 replies to this topic

#1 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

More mechs should be able to have ECM capability. So many can equip TAG but only a couple can use ECM.

I'm finding LRMs are being used as more of a brawling weapon now. 200meters away there is a poptarting medium with TAG and LRM who tags, lock and fires without the need to aim, then drops back behind cover.

At least with direct fire weapons you have to let go of the Jets to stop the crosshair shake, aim then fire.

Aiming is sooooo 2013

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

While I would certainly like more ECM mechs for flavor reasons, the reason we see so few of them is probably because it's such a fundamentally broken piece of equipment. The radar invisibility gives a massive advantage in long range and short range battles alike, because it's harder to focus fire on a single target, distinguish between injured and healthy enemies, and the lack of red triangles makes it harder to react against ridge-humpers.

The lock-on defeating perk is just a cherry on top.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

While I would certainly like more ECM mechs for flavor reasons, the reason we see so few of them is probably because it's such a fundamentally broken piece of equipment. The radar invisibility gives a massive advantage in long range and short range battles alike, because it's harder to focus fire on a single target, distinguish between injured and healthy enemies, and the lack of red triangles makes it harder to react against ridge-humpers.

The lock-on defeating perk is just a cherry on top.

The invisibility part on tabletop requires 12 slots in the form of Stealth Armor.
Combined with ECM (and non-functional without it), that's 14 slots and 1.5 tons (since stealth armor weighs the same as regular armor).

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

Removed a few posts - Stay on topic please!

#5 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostRex Budman, on 08 April 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

More mechs should be able to have ECM capability. So many can equip TAG but only a couple can use ECM.

I'm finding LRMs are being used as more of a brawling weapon now. 200meters away there is a poptarting medium with TAG and LRM who tags, lock and fires without the need to aim, then drops back behind cover.

At least with direct fire weapons you have to let go of the Jets to stop the crosshair shake, aim then fire.

Aiming is sooooo 2013

Just move 20m closer and he will be effectivly neutralized.
Also if he tags he does have to aim.
Also it would be better than getting hit with that damage concentrated in one location.
Also you could shoot back while he's getting a lock (FDLs are better for this than LRM's).
Also you could lower the damage you take by using AMS.
Also you could use cover as well.
Also even if you had ECM tag would still allow LRMs.

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Once ECM gets its eventual nerf, then I'd be ok with more mech variants getting it. Really the only nerf I am hoping for is that it no longer provide blanket coverage to nearby teammates. That should be the separate Angel ECM equipment.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 09 April 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#7 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostRex Budman, on 08 April 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Aiming is sooooo 2013

This is actually telling of a new player that's never played MW.

What if I told you Lasers are EZ mode, and all you do is point and click? Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

It's funny how you can't get into competitive with LRM's because "Sorry, that's not the meta, we would lose matches." Yet you have an ample amount of nuggets saying they're OP.

No, there are many things you can do to counter that, all of which are very effective, you don't need a GG device, you just need to learn how the game works. No, ECM is not suppose to be used as a brawler weapon, it's suppose to be a stealth device. If anything ECM needs a tweak, not shoved on more Mechs.

Edited by Moromillas, 09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#8 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

If ECM is too good to add to more chassis, then it needs a nerf and is OP by definition.
However, lrm poptarts is not something I'd be too worried about. Smack em with a PPC or AC and they'll crumple, especially mediums.

#9 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 09 April 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Just move 20m closer and he will be effectivly neutralized.
Also if he tags he does have to aim.
Also it would be better than getting hit with that damage concentrated in one location.
Also you could shoot back while he's getting a lock (FDLs are better for this than LRM's).
Also you could lower the damage you take by using AMS.
Also you could use cover as well.
Also even if you had ECM tag would still allow LRMs.

Logic.....Your argument has no place in these forums...LOGIC, it has no place here, NONE

These are all valid points, though most will argue against them.

The reason you do not see so many is the fact that it is a powerful tool. It makes some chasis usefull that would otherwise just waste away. If used properly, ECM would be even more devestaing than you have seen thus far. light pilots that know how to float between his allies as they need the coverage can wreak havok on the oposing team. Lights that know how to float near enemy LRM boats are also a pain, imagine, raining down loads of death darts, only to find your radar is seeing some interference, and your lrm lock is no more. Imagine every mech, or even half the available mechs, able to equip this weapon, You would see no more LRMs period, they would be worthless, You would still see tag, even if they are not using lurms, to use as a pointer to break ecm on targeted mechs. etc etc. You create a whole new meta not welcome by many at all. I personally feel that the amount of ECM capable mechs is pretty much on the sweet spot.

#10 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

NO!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users