Mwo Can Take A Few Notes From Gran Turismo

3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandorf

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

It's occurred to me just how much similarity I've noticed when comparing MWO to Gran Turismo. There's several good ideas in how Gran Turismo presents its out-of-game UI and how it organizes its game modes. (Though there are a lot of things that GT5, in particular, does wrong).

First let's get the obvious out of the way, GT5 is a single player game, with an online component, so finding opponents for a match is never an issue, however this is still a game that revolves around winning races (matches), buying cars, leveling up your driver, and customizing your car's performance and look to your liking.

The key thing I'd like MWO to steal from GT is the special seasonal events. There are a set of special race types that players get special rewards for participating in, but have restrictions to what sort of car you can compete with.

Some challenges would even provide the car for you to compete with, and if you placed well enough, you got to keep it. (Though i'm not certain online-only MWO could make that work).

The next Medium vs. the World, for example, could be a special event you could queue for specifically, which forces everyone to 12 v 12 medium mechs.

Other special events could restrict both sides to only IS, Clan, or even Phoenix mechs. or any other goofy requirement that strikes their fancy (Stock loadout only!), and rotate these around as they see fit.

I'd like go further with some of the things I'd like to borrow from GT's UI, but I think I'd better make some mock-ups to go with it, so that would have to wait until another time.

#2 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Elephant in the room: At least with MWO we can still play the game while the developer takes it's sweet time finishing the game.

That said, GT doesn't really have an RPG element. You can tune your car with upgrades that you can buy outright with cash, but I'm not aware of experience points given to your driver. Secondly, I don't think it's possible yet to have special events like that yet. Once the launch module is out, it might be, but PGI has been very vocal against splitting the queues for any reason. Private matches is likely the farthest they'll go on that front. Also, PGI is very staunch about keeping this a strictly free to play game, and if they made a Mediums only tournament, they'd likely get backlash from the community about it being a ploy to sell mech bays to those who don't own any mediums. It's essentially the same thinking behind the 3-3-3-3 model: any player should be able to play the mech they own in any match, rather than being forced to buy a mech they don't own yet just to fit into a specific capped tonnage limit.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

I've heard Gran Turismo's UI is pretty bad though, especially compared to its rival Forza on the xbox.

An epic 8GB install slims down the bloated loading screens (opt out of this and – quite smartly – the game will install content as you play through it) though they still outstay their welcome, while menus are over elaborate and ill-designed. That's not too much of a problem in the single player offering but it's something that does its best at obscuring an otherwise solid online offering.

http://www.ign.com/a...5-review?page=2

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 10 April 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#4 Dark Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I've made comparisons between those games as well which in some cases GAVE YOU the palette to customize your mech where you could do some pretty neat exterior color jobs.

You could include Forza to the list and even the WWE Wrestling games ... very customizable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users