The New Player Experience: Problems And Solutions

3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter2000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Introduction/Disclaimer

One important thing to remember - a disclaimer that has been seen here and elsewhere many time - is that while I may be negative about some of PGI’s decisions, it is because I truly enjoy the game and want it to succeed, but consider some of their decisions to be counter-productive to that goal. It is my hope here to describe the problems with the new player experience, and to come up with easy(ish)-to-implement solutions that PGI could carry out to resolve these issues, and increase the number of new players attracted and retained.

Building a New New-Player Experience

The new player experience (NPE) in Mechwarrior Online (MWO) is something that has been problematic for some time. While this is normal for many games - especially Free to Play games (FTP) in their infancy, this game has been around for too long that this should not be a major concern. The developers are aware that there is some form of problem, and have curbed some of the biggest problems by introducing trial Champion ‘Mechs and adding a Cadet Bonus to help alleviate the grind slightly for new players. Still, many players who I’ve seen introduced to the game turn away very quickly due to the NPE. I personally avoid recommending the game to friends, simply because I know that unless they have vast reservoirs of time, patience, and probably money (knowing my friends, they don’t), they will be turned off the game before they ever really get into it. And if I don’t think that my friends will stick with the game, even with my experienced personal guidance, think about how few prospective players outside the Battletech enthusiasts (many of whom already play the game) will do so. Really, this is a situation that PGI and IGP should seek to avoid - more players trying their game and getting into it means more opportunities to sell people their (relatively expensive by FTP standards) stuff.

TL:DR: In order to improve the NPE, a few key things are needed. First, a thorough tutorial should be implemented. Second, the resources provided to a starting player should be increased. Third, greater direction to community advice/guidance should be provided by PGI. Finally, PGI should incentivize regular play by increasing the frequency of Challenges.

A Tutorial on Tutorials

A true tutorial system for new players is really the anchor of any game’s ability to integrate new players into the existing community. Players coming in to a game often have very little knowledge of the details of the game, especially in the FTP model, where they might have just picked it up on a whim to test out. While not having a robust tutorial is OK for games that are just like a ton of other games already commonly played (e.g. standard Halo-style FPS), it is important for a game with many unique rules and mechanics not found elsewhere to thoroughly explain them. Currently, Mechwarrior does not do this, and it would really benefit new players if it did.

It would be extremely cool to have a training simulation true to lore and with a cool premise (like MW2’s), since it is sad to miss out on the feeling of the universe. However, that could prove a bit of work, and isn’t strictly necessary.

Really all that is needed is a quick primer that walks players through a series of key concepts of the game. As much as possible, the player should be in the cockpit of a ‘Mech while learning these concepts, so he can not only receive the message, but also demonstrate comprehension through execution (for example, on the section on ranges/damages, have a player fire at a target using Medium Lasers at 600m, 450m, and 250m, and note the time to destroy target):
  • The way the UI functions
  • The way the ‘Mechbay works
  • How ‘Mechs die (Legs/CT/Head/XL)
  • How torso/leg/arm movement works
  • How JJ’s work
  • How weapon ranges/damage work
  • How heat works
  • How LRMs, BAP, TAG, NARC, ECM work
If players understood these concepts, they would be far better equipped to handle combat against real people. Countless times, I’ve seen novice players clearly frustrated by the game, because they didn’t understand some of these key concepts. Being walked through them could allow players the ability to be far less helpless, and enjoy themselves far more. Even simply understanding why they died when their RT exploded when their opponent didn’t when the same happened to him would help keep the initial frustration far better in check.

In any case, better understanding will help with retention. If players feel that they have no idea what is going on, and that they are constantly getting crushed for reasons beyond their comprehension, they are unlikely to continue playing. This is especially true of new players who are just testing out the game to see if they like it and want to play it at all (as the FTP model encourages). The quality of their experience as new players is crucial to determining whether they are even going to stick around to become experienced (and far more likely to pay) players.

It is worth noting that it is probably unwise to actually force people to play the Tutorial. Nobody likes being forced to sit through that. However, it might make sense to tie the Cadet Bonus (or replacement/supplement of it - see more below) to completion of the Tutorial, as an incentive to complete it.

The Grind, the Start, and the FTP model

Currently, it is acknowledged widely that the rate of acquisition of new stuff (‘Mechs, engines, modules, upgrades, etc.) is primarily limited by C-Bill income (rather than XP), and that the rate of C-Bill income feels relatively low. While this is not an insurmountable problem for established players, who will still always have something powerful and useful to use in any given situation, it is very difficult for a new player to build any sort of real versatile arsenal in a reasonable period of play. If you doubt this, play on a new account, especially if you are used to a super-funded developer account. Not only does their Cadet Bonus only get them enough for a single, unequipped Heavy ‘Mech, at which point they are treated like any other player, but it also does not pay to kit it out as needed. Even a medium with a new XL engine and DHS/Endo upgrades is not covered. Moreover, after they buy their first set of 3 ‘Mechs to unlock the extremely powerful Elite piloting skills, they have no space for the next set, unless they sell two of their hard-earned ‘Mechs.

First, it would be a good idea to provide all accounts started within the past month (and going forwards) a total of 12 starting MechBay slots, instead of the current 4. 4 is not much, and quickly depleted. One of the key advantages of the FTP business model is that it is able to attract new players by offering them the chance to play the game at no cost - especially initially. Eventually every game wants to sell you something, but if you’re expecting players to shell out (even just for Mechbays) in the first week or get lost, why bother with the FTP model? The players who are hesitant to spend money until they become invested in the game will just be chased away, anyhow. Moreover, making it only impact newer accounts means that it won’t serve as a reason for established players to spend less money - they don’t get free MechBays.

Second, it would be advisable to give new players a trio of ‘Mechs to start off with (these could go into the extra MechBay slots). Currently, many new players fail to appreciate the massive advantages afforded by the elite and double-basic piloting skills that require 3 of a Chassis. Giving them something to start out with (and kit out with their Cadet Bonus) doesn’t remove a significant level of content they’ll eventually want to buy if the they stick with the game (there are over 100 Variants, plus engines, upgrades, modules, etc.). Grant the option to choose 3 non-Hero variants of a Chassis upon completing the Tutorial, and watch new players actually become confident/competent due to the tutorial, while also avoiding the pain of the C-Bill grind for at least their first several in-game hours. It will catch up with them soon enough, but hopefully they’ll have gained an appreciation for the game before then...

Finally, it may make some sense to inject a small quantity of MC into the new players’ wallets (maybe 300MC, enough for a Mechbay or day of Premium). It is unlikely to cause them to spend significantly less, and is likely to get players accustomed to using MC - perhaps causing them to decide they want to buy more of it.

On FTP and “Generosity”

One common argument against increasing the goods that players get, as I just proposed, is that the more that is given to players, the more that they then don’t have to buy later. However, this argument is flawed. If total long-term revenue is the goal, it makes sense to make sure that players feel good enough about the game to keep playing it. In the FTP model, you only make new income from existing players of your game who choose to purchase items through the in-game store. Attracting, retaining, and keeping such potential customers happy is a key part of the model.

At the most cynical level, it’s the argument that you can get people to spend more if you pull the drug dealer’s “Hey, kids, the first hit is free!” to get people hooked on your product. However, if (as with virtual goods) the hits don’t cost the supplier much at all, it might make sense to give people a chance to get really hooked (or “committed to the game” for us idealists) with several free hits before telling them their wallet is about to take a hit if they want more.

There is always the possibility that this increased generosity attracts more players without the intent to spend money on the game at all, who will just play with what they are given. If a player spends no money on the game, the company still loses net money on them due to no income, and small expenditures such as additional server demand (though in MWO’s case, most heavy players will at least shell out for more MechBays, to take advantage of their C-Bill income and fully explore the game). Still, most FTP games recognize even these players as somewhat useful to keep around, as their numbers help maintain a healthy game community for paying players to enjoy, and are likely to recommend the game to their own friends who may pay. Also, free players can really enjoy the game, and decide to shell out for some fun items. This isn’t all some hay-brained utopian theory, either: League of Legends (the single most successful FTP game) actively courts this type of player, and considers them a large part of their success.

More PGI-Directed Info

Another issue that new players will encounter even after a rigorous tutorial is that they understand very little about what makes a ‘Mech good or bad, or what strategies are likely to be effective. It’s like understanding the rules of how Chess pieces move and attack, without having any inkling of the strategy. In an ideal world, PGI would have infinite resources and game knowledge, and would be able to put up their own new player guides on their forum that could be linked to from the game client. However, let’s be honest - they have tons of other stuff to work on that the community can’t really help them with, while the community could really take the lead on this.

The key thing would be for PGI to actively publicize (preferably through the in-game client, since many players don’t visit the forums) a few new player guides. Resources already exist, but are in obscure (to a completely unfamiliar player) places. Directing new players to those places (from reddit to smurfy to any other fan-sites) could help them significantly.

If PGI wants to retain more control over the content (which is understandable), they could invite particular members who they know to be helpful and knowledgeable to write some of these segments for them on their forums. They could also open it up more widely, and allow some form of community-driven voting to drive the most effective guides to the top. In any case, linking guides on subjects ranging from good 1st ‘Mech choices to general gameplay strategy from the client (at least for players with < 2 weeks play time) would help significantly.

Finally, PGI should consider changing certain default settings, especially once newbies get a tutorial to explain the difference between leg, arm, and torso. Third person view cripples a new player's ability to actually be in a useful spot during a fight, as they lose the minimap. While the loss of the map might be important to balance the ability to peek using the drone, maps are crucially important to new players being able to find a safe spot to stand and not get murdered terribly by being picked off. Similarly, armlock really hampers the abilities of some 'Mechs (e.g. Jagers), and if a tutorial were to explain arm weapons, torso weapons, and what armlock does, it might not need to default to on.

Related Grind-Reduction and Interesting Goals

One thing many other FTP games do is to provide incentives for players to come back to their game regularly. Once people are playing the game, they’re more likely to keep playing. Incentivizing them to do so is therefore a useful tool to player retention. Usually this is done by bonuses such as log-in rewards, first-win-of-the-day rewards, by some regularly occurring events that provide easily attainable and useful rewards, or some combination of the above. These rewards are most important to new players, since they badly need the rewards, but they are important for more established players as well, to keep things fresh and give wavering players a reason to at least log on and play a few drops with friends.

In MWO, the first win of the day bonus only hits XP, which as discussed before, is not really a limiting resource in MWO - C-Bills are far more important due to their scarcity. It might make sense to provide a first win bonus of ~250,000 C-Bills - but only once per day, unlike the XP bonus which is collected on multiple ‘Mechs. Currently, the closest things that MWO has to true log-on incentives are the Challenges that are released roughly monthly.

MWO, perhaps recognizing this, has recently increased the rate of special events and giveaways - from the CN9-A(C) to the recent Faction tournament. I can say from personal experience that these events spark excitement among the community at the ability to get their hands on some free stuff, and everyone seems animated and excited to play the game and unlock the rewards.

Tournaments are good, but for a more casual or less skilled player, the chances of receiving any of the rewards, generally granted only to the top 5 players in a category, are negligible, and thus aren’t in themselves a huge inducement to play. However, small giveaways attached to a tournament such as the faction item during the latest tournament, are attainable by anyone, and thus serve to get people playing.

I’m certainly not the only person who noticed a dramatic uptick in Centurion usage after the CN9-A(C) was given away to players. But this was not due just to the increase of CN9-As - I also saw a noticeable increase of Ds and ALs, presumably bought (some with MC, no doubt, along with Mechbays) to elite out that ‘Mech. I’m sure PGI has numbers that can confirm and quantify this phenomenon - especially given that this ‘Mech had largely fallen out of favor since SRM nerfs. Other “unpopular” ‘Mechs would make great targets for future giveaways. While such giveaways may be relatively infrequent, it may make sense to grant C-Bill sales (unlike the usual MC-only sales) on particular ‘Mechs as a milder version of the giveaway - but will still indirectly increase MechBay sales, and sales of ‘Mechs that are selling poorly.

Really, MWO already seems to be headed down this path, which is good! It is, however, important that the developers continue in this vein, and in fact increase the frequency of such small events to a weekly or at least semi-weekly basis - with giveaways to participants ranging from a MechBay to 2,000,000 C-Bills to 5,000 GXP, to a C-Bill sale on a particular ‘Mech, to a vanity color, camo, or cockpit item, to a ‘Mech giveaway. This will help keep players logging on and playing for the bonus - and keeping people playing is the best way to sell them stuff, and keep the community healthy and stable (which in turn leads to more stuff sold).

Edited by Peter2000, 04 April 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

This is a well thought out and a well presented set of changes that would likely benefit the title.

From a business standpoint I think some of the changes you suggest may be egregious, as an example the first set of mech bays going from 4 to 12. That's on the extreme side, but I think it'd be fair to go from 4 to 6 allowing the new user 2 full sets of mechs to advance. At the point they're able to afford 2 full sets they'll have had enough time to decide if they want to continue playing.

#3 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I like that idea of providing 3 free mechs of a kind.

This is a rather good idea, and I'd like to expand on it.

Give the player 3 "role" choices of 'Mechs within the same weight class. Provide 1 chassis choice that's good at LRM support, one that's good at general combat/brawling, and 1 that's good at sniping/ AC bombardment.

For example, if we wanted the player to have a choice of Heavy:

LRM support option: Provide a stock Catapult A1, C1, and C4
Fighter/Brawler option: Provide a stock Orion 1K, V, and VA
Sniper/bombarder option: Provide a stock Jagermech S, A, and DD

These are only examples, but if the tutorial gave a runthrough of each of these three quasi-roles before giving the player the choice of 'Mech, the player would be more likely to grab the stock 'Mechs that they would be competent with.

Yeah, I realize the model I've come up with here is basically the Squirtle/Charmander/Bulbasaur choice. :P

#4 Peter2000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostTechorse, on 05 April 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

I like that idea of providing 3 free mechs of a kind.

This is a rather good idea, and I'd like to expand on it.

Give the player 3 "role" choices of 'Mechs within the same weight class. Provide 1 chassis choice that's good at LRM support, one that's good at general combat/brawling, and 1 that's good at sniping/ AC bombardment.

For example, if we wanted the player to have a choice of Heavy:

LRM support option: Provide a stock Catapult A1, C1, and C4
Fighter/Brawler option: Provide a stock Orion 1K, V, and VA
Sniper/bombarder option: Provide a stock Jagermech S, A, and DD

These are only examples, but if the tutorial gave a runthrough of each of these three quasi-roles before giving the player the choice of 'Mech, the player would be more likely to grab the stock 'Mechs that they would be competent with.

Also, I really want them to be of the same Chassis, so that they have the opportunity to get those piloting bonuses new pilots frequently overlook the importance of.

Yeah, I realize the model I've come up with here is basically the Squirtle/Charmander/Bulbasaur choice. :)

Yes, perhaps PGI could provide suggested trios. One that jumps to mind in the current situation is a JM6-A LRMer, JM6-S AC/20 monster, JM6-DD AC/2/5 boat. Or a CTF-3D jumper, CTF-2X brawler, CTF-4X AC/5 boat. Still, I'd provide a broad choice - suggestions really should remain suggestions.

Edited by Peter2000, 09 April 2014 - 05:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users