4 replies to this topic

#1 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

PGI,

Instead of being reactionary when it comes to balancing this game, how about you preempt the 'whine' of players who don't understand why they aren't any good at playing MW:O by creating a tutorial system that actually helps?

Right now the one tutorial you have in place tells players how to move, and how to shoot.

Considering that you've billed this as a "thinking man's shooter" since its inception how can you POSSIBLY think that this brief tutorial is even partially adequate to prepare new players?

So, here's my suggestion, my plea, me begging on my knees.

Create a series of tutorial modules that, when completed, reward new players with a small amount of GXP, C-Bills, or both.

Create a module that explains Ghost Heat and to 'pass' players have to fire 9 ML in succession in a Hunchback 3 times without triggering "Heat Scaling."

Create a module where new players are thrown into a Raven with ECM, Tag and NARC. Have them use them and identify the symbols that appear over their targets. Have them 'use cover' multiple times in avoiding LRM's succesfully to pass the tutorial.

Do you get my drift? Teach them how to use JJ. Teach them how to avoid incoming fire. Give them 3 mechs and tell them to identify WHICH ONE has the XL by looking at loadouts and making everything BUT the side torsos on those mechs invulnerable.

Piloting skills. How the mechlab works (if you ever get it into a finished format). Pilot skills (hopefully the ones that do nothing at all will eventually be replaced). PILOTING SKILLS AGAIN.

The skills to play this game WELL are many, varied and complicated. Part of the reason so many veterans are dismissive of new players and sigh again and again "Learn to play" is because they've followed your changes and additions and statement reversals for years.

You really want to retain your playerbase? Give them more than a "use your WASD keys and point your gun in the direction of the enemy" before throwing them to the wolves. And to GET THEM TO DO IT, make it WORTH THEIR WHILE. It doesn't have to be much. Hell, YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACHIEVEMENT SYSTEM. USE IT.

TIE IT INTO COMPLETING THESE TUTORIAL MODULES. THAT part of the code, the rewards, is already written.

Please. With a cherry torso on top. For the love of Blake. Do it.

Edit: And if you want to make it awesome, have Duncan Fisher narrate the tutorial instructions. You'll get bonus points from your old guard.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 10 April 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

I hope this idea gets floated into PGI's minds, because this is a journey into the PGI void.

Good luck and hope it reaches its destination (aka, not K-Town).

#3 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

More tutorials are coming. The Plan says so.

#4 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 10 April 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

More tutorials are coming. The Plan says so.

The Plan also lists UI 2.0 as 100% despite PGI's acknowledgement that they are continuing to add to it.
The Plan only tracks if it's been shoved onto the live server, not if it's finished or any good.

In addition, the 'New User Experience' is 5% done and taking a significant backburner. I'm hoping they do something sooner so that new players aren't continually frustrated, and that they do it WELL instead of halfway.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 10 April 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#5 user51

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

+1 to all of this. I started this game with a ton of enthusiasm 3 months ago. Now it is starting to lag, all of the issues I see complaints about seem to be very valid. I do NOT care about gold skinned mechs, I DO care about not having lobby or decent set of tutorials.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users