950 replies to this topic

#621 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostRokerSaMoravu, on 11 April 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Of course I can't really say that for sure, since the topic had "Timber Wolf" in it's name so I knew what I was looking at but, the first impulse was definitely "what the ...".

It's not at all spot on. The arms are just as wrong as the legs are. The limbs just look too much as IS Catapult and Stalker. In several shots (including the launcher) it looks like it's squished from the front. I guess it is just due to perspective since in the concept art the CT/cockpit looks ok. But of course PGI chose very unfortunate angles for the shots.

All in all, it looks to me like an IS mech. No trace of some advanced tech or clan animalistic feel in it's looks...

Someone said (I paraphrase): "well ok, this mech doesn't look like another mech in another game, so live with it...", and fine, we're all gonna live with it (especially since I resisted the temptation of pre-ordering it)... But I am sure we can all agree that if there was one thing the PGI really needed to do right (for their own sake), a seminal mech like Mad Cat was it. And they managed to screw with it just enough to piss even me off, and I am really not a diehard stickler for details. It is just that the damned mech is so well known, so iconic for this franchise, anyone who changes it is just cutting a branch he is sitting on... And for what reason? There's no goddamn reason to poke a pile of shit with your finger.

I disagree on the arms and body. I'll give the legs a go because they are thicker then everyone expected. With some tuning I don't think it will be a problem.

#622 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image Looks pretty proportioned to me and the legs are back/angled.Do people REALLY want shorter legs on this thing?!

Edited by shad0w4life, 11 April 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#623 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 11 April 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

True. The MWO concept art is one of the best representation of timbers i've seen (both the standard and the special variants)... nimble, classy and modern.

If only the modelers could do it according to the concept... (specially the thickness in the leg part)

I vastly disagree. It doesn't look nimble, classy, or modern at all. The "nimbleness" is broken by it's thinder thighs, the "classy" uhh I don't even know where you're drawing that from, The modern? Really, it looks like a they're worried about their poly count more than a modern game should, it looks like it stepped out of a game about 7 years ago.

I'm not saying classic mechs can't be changed, Ihowever they didn't add anything to the MadCat with the changes they made, it's uglier and doesn't bring nything to the table.

#624 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

A 5 minute edit:
Posted Image

I think it looks nimble (like the concept art) without feeling it would snap on first AC2 hit .... as you can see, a small shrink in thighs goes a long way...
the joint may seems small but it was inevitable in a 5 min edit... it can stay the same size as the current model. the main focus was on the thigh itself.

Edited by Navid A1, 11 April 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#625 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

View Postr4plez, on 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

THIS is MADCAT:

THAT is trash. Shoebox with legs.

#626 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

This is the perfect timberwolf. Period. Heavy weapons pod arms. Well done LRMs without dumb mickey mouse ears. Legs of a sprinter.

The new design needs to be put down with a bullet to the head.

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 11 April 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#627 Ekdikesis

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRight where I need to be...

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Nice looking so far, although the legs do look a bit too stretched at the thighs. My guess is that it is to raise the upper torso up just enough to solve the 'swing-low arm' shooting the ground issue. The same issue that plague's the Phract's with it's firing arms. ;)

It would be nice if you could do the same for the Phracts geometry... Fellow Phract pilots, you know what I'm saying... :)

#628 Chax

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

it is missing Clan Wolf emblem... :)

#629 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostSmittiferous, on 11 April 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

THAT is trash. Shoebox with legs.

that trash box is why you're here playing MWO today. that trashbox garnered the attention of nerds for decades helping float over a dozen video games and made many millions.

respect your elders son.

#630 Manei Domini Krigg

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,005 posts
  • Locationred team

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

that is better?
Posted Image

Edited by Krigg, 11 April 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#631 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostKrigg, on 11 April 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

that is better?
Posted Image

Longer "toes" and it's epic.

Edit-

On second thought, just give it the Catapult's legs and feet. That'll fix 'er.

Edited by Ryvucz, 11 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#632 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

PGI!!!! THAT, WE NEED THAT

#633 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 11 April 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

that trash box is why you're here playing MWO today. that trashbox garnered the attention of nerds for decades helping float over a dozen video games and made many millions.

respect your elders son.

Who the **** do you think you are??

Yeah, I'm one of those that said trashbox garnered the attention of twenty-odd years ago. I said it before, a lot of designs need a refresh, TW included.

But the TW in the MW3 intro looks like absolute balls.

Almost as bad as the one in the TCG.

Yeah, I said it again, 'son'. Don't get your knickers in a twist boss.

#634 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 April 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Scary, isn't it? All that is, in fact, 100% official art (so far as I know, as there are Japanese battletech digitized versions of the board game for certain older consoles and PC). Btw, that style of Battletech/mechwarrior, most mechs glide and only walk to climb slopes or tricky terrain. They're also commonly piloted by hot looking teenage to mid 20s anime chicks with brightly colored hair. O.o;

Those were horrifying :)
And that is the first time I remember ever saying that about MW/BT artwork.

#635 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 April 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

Those were horrifying :)
And that is the first time I remember ever saying that about MW/BT artwork.

Btw, did the Hunchback 4G, Griffin, Wolverine, Battlemaster, etc. load? I can't seem to get more than "Posted Image" to appear for myself.

#636 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 April 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

What I've noticed is that the look so many people seem to be expecting is the look of MW2.

Allow me to remind people what it looked like and then show comparisons throughout.
Spoiler

Now that said, my overall favorite was Mechwarrior 3050. But truth be told, all the other mechs in there looked like gundams that couldn't fly.

dont forget mech commander 1!

lol

#637 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostKrigg, on 11 April 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

and some more fixed

Posted Image

*shorter legs
*thigh thinner and not in 1 line
*shoulders are narrower (torso dont looking so flat)
*legs platform are little narrower

If PGI does this for you, then they'll need to fix certain other mechs (Trebuchet I'm looking at you. Centurion's width).
It isn't going to happen unfortunately.
Now if it did, they'd follow it up by fixing the heat system to a 30 threshold, and allocate weapon damage over 10 seconds, and finally round all that up with single armor and slower mechs for a surprising amount of balance while taking out ghost heat. Then they'd hand you 120 dollars for playing. (Yep, ain't gonna happen.)

Though I will admit that doesn't look too bad.

#638 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 April 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Btw, did the Hunchback 4G, Griffin, Wolverine, Battlemaster, etc. load? I can't seem to get more than "Posted Image" to appear for myself.

I had to right-click and "copy image URL" then paste it into the whatchamacallit bar at the top of the browser (where it shows the URL.... >.< head/chest/whatever-it-is cold cannot end soon enough)

Open link into another page opened a broken link page.

#639 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Direct link protection. I'll put them into my own gallery tomorrow then and redo 'em all.
Posted Image

There's a small amount of mechs; but it includes all the ones I put up. Use CTRL and + to zoom in as needed.

#640 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

What.... did they do to the demolisher?!
They make it a hovertank?!?! ;)

I had seen that Stalker one before - think I even saw it labeled the Stalker, but as at that point the image was all I had for it - I didn't pay it much attention.
...wish I could remember where I saw it, because that was well before I had any kind of decent internet access. :)

79 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 79 guests, 0 anonymous users