Ammunition Compatibility and Logistics

26 replies to this topic

#21 Redtail

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

I remember it being Luxor Ballistics Type-X Autocannon.

I don't recall if canon Autocannons were smoothbore or rifled weapons but grapeshot charges are not friendly on rifled bores, and smooth bores require special non-rifled stabilized (read also: EXPENSIVE) slugs to maintain stability at range.

#22 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostCavadus, on 17 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

The only odd man out is the LBX with their canister rounds but I always found it really strange that you needed an entirely different type of autocannon just to fire a canister round. TTers will likely spazz over what about I'm to propose but the game doesn't need LBX autocannons at all. Just allow the LBX rounds to be loaded into standard autocannons. As for clans with only UACs just give them regular AC rates of fire when LBX is loaded into them.

The existence of true LBX autocannons is pretty superfluous and unneeded IMO.

The LB-X series are lighter and slightly bulkier while having a longer range than regular AC's. The cluster round is their one specialty ammo, regular AC's get precision,frag, flak, tracer, etc. There's a reason they're that in.

#23 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostRedtail, on 17 November 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

I remember it being Luxor Ballistics Type-X Autocannon.

I don't recall if canon Autocannons were smoothbore or rifled weapons but grapeshot charges are not friendly on rifled bores, and smooth bores require special non-rifled stabilized (read also: EXPENSIVE) slugs to maintain stability at range.

It's Lubalin Ballistics, I double-checked.
Source: http://www.sarna.net...LB-X_Autocannon

"Originally developed in 2595 by Lubalin Ballistics for the Terran Hegemony, the LB-X 10 Autocannon was a derivative of the standard and relatively primitive Autocannon/10 design used for centuries by every military in the Inner Sphere."

It's interesting to note that the LB-X 10 could apparently fire normal HEAP rounds... but the special thing about them was that they could fire cluster rounds. They're the 'mech equivalent of a shotgun in that regard.

Edited by KnowBuddy, 17 November 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#24 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

If the Ammo has the same cost, Reload, and Damage. I have no problem with them sharing an System ID.

AKA
AC2, Ultra AC2, Light AC, could all be the same ammo
Where RAC2, LB-2x Slug, LB-2x cluster ammo would each have their own ID. Due to the cost differance between them

#25 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostKnowBuddy, on 17 November 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Actually, I see what you're saying about loading LBX ammo into standard ACs (or UACs, limiting them to single fire), but it would need to also include lowering the refire rates for balance, which is the reason LBX ACs have a lower refire rate to compensate for their increased damage (and range, in the case of LBX10s and LBX20s).

But what is gained by combining LBX ACs and ACs into one weapon? Flexibility on the battlefield? Perhaps, if field reloads are possible... but switching between LBX and normal rounds doesn't really change all that much... you're still operating in the same general ranges. All it accomplishes is giving the option between slightly more sustained dmg output with more ammo conservation vs. higher spike damage with increased ammo usage. Which do you think will be taken most of the time? Maybe 99% of the time?

Well if LBX canister rounds do a spread of shot at a certain range, like a proximity fuse on anti aircraft flak, they would have additional utility against fast moving targets because each shell fired would receive an additional spread near the target. They could help Assaults and Heavies engage lights, as well as allowing Lights to have an autocannon they could fire on the move more easily.

#26 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

View PostUncleKulikov, on 17 November 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

Well if LBX canister rounds do a spread of shot at a certain range, like a proximity fuse on anti aircraft flak, they would have additional utility against fast moving targets because each shell fired would receive an additional spread near the target. They could help Assaults and Heavies engage lights, as well as allowing Lights to have an autocannon they could fire on the move more easily.

That was sort of my point. If it's possible to fit in LBXs instead of regular ACs (the limitation primarily being space for the weapon itself and space+tonnage for additional ammunition), they are most often preferred. LBXs tend to be more effective at (slightly increased) range against faster-moving targets while also delivering higher damage up close. Combining ACs and LBXs doesn't make much sense to me, there's no reason to combine weapons in my opinion... ACs, UACs, RACs, and LBXs all have their place.

#27 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hopefully I can have a hunchback with an RAC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users