Advanced Weapon Grouping?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Durian Poh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi there,

I'm familiar with standard weapon grouping of being able to set certain weapons to left click and certain weapons to right click etc.

However, when observing other players recently, I noticed that there are a number of players that seem to have a different sort of weapon grouping.

For example, I observed this guy who have 6 medium lasers.They were all set against "weapon group 1". However, he seemed to be able to fire 3 each time eventhough they were all set against the same weapon group. Is there a way to do this? or was I just seeing things?

Second question, I've also noticed some players being able to stagger fire.......as in being able to click once and then all the weapons in that weapon group fire continuously one after the other. (I am familiar with using backspace to stagger manually but am not familiar with being able to "auto fire"?)

Many thanks in advance.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostDurian Poh, on 10 April 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

For example, I observed this guy who have 6 medium lasers.They were all set against "weapon group 1". However, he seemed to be able to fire 3 each time eventhough they were all set against the same weapon group. Is there a way to do this? or was I just seeing things?

When you are observing other players after you have died, it is common for the observer to see all the observed players weapons as being in a single group even though that is not actually how they have them assigned. In this case, they were probably actually 2 different groups you couldn't see.

View PostDurian Poh, on 10 April 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Second question, I've also noticed some players being able to stagger fire.......as in being able to click once and then all the weapons in that weapon group fire continuously one after the other. (I am familiar with using backspace to stagger manually but am not familiar with being able to "auto fire"?)

I BELIEVE that once you set a group to chain fire, if you just hold down the button, the system will just fire weapons one after another at a preset interval, although I could be mistaken as I rarely use chain fire, and when I do I don't just hold the button.

Edited by LauLiao, 10 April 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

When spectating you are not (usually) seeing the actual weapon groups - if I recall correctly that is a known bug

#4 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

It's called chainfire. Hen you press backspace on your keyboard, it will toggle Chainfire for all your weapons and the system will automatically fire all weapons in the same group at a certain delay but it handles some weapons different than others (even though chanfire is on, my YLW still fires its two MLas at the same time rather than at a delay). Otherwise, there is no way i know of to have wepons in the same group alternate fire.

EDIT: Yeah I forgot that weapon grouping in spectate mode isn't 100% accurate.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 10 April 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#5 Durian Poh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thanks guys!

#6 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

the way I stagger fire in my hunchback is to put a AC2 and a AC5 on my right shoulder the AC2 fires a lot faster then the AC5 so im punching them hard then hit um with my lasers in my right hand and head I think I have 450 rounds for ac2 and 240 for my ac5. works out to 8 min. of heavy fire .

#7 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

On contrary to what everyone has said, I figured that weapon groupings when seen during speculating are actually all yours. Let's say you set the Jenner trial to 2 groups of lasers for ranges, then you notice that someone has been firing in groups of three even though it shows groups of two on your screen, this shows that it's your own grouping. Also, if someone is firing everything at once but not with grouping to fire like that, they could be firing with alphas. Same as if they were firing them separate, that could be chain fire. Sometimes this explains why a mech might have all same groupings, as the spectated player changed all the weapons, therefore there were pretty much all grouped to group 1. Hope I helped. ;)

Edited by luxebo, 10 April 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Postluxebo, on 10 April 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

On contrary to what everyone has said, I figured that weapon groupings when seen during speculating are actually all yours.

Pretty sure most of my builds use more than group 1 - but that is what I tend to see when spectating. ;)
IE: showing everything in group 1

#9 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

On contrary to what everyone has said, I figured that weapon groupings when seen during speculating are actually all yours. Let's say you set the Jenner trial to 2 groups of lasers for ranges, then you notice that someone has been firing in groups of three even though it shows groups of two on your screen, this shows that it's your own grouping. Also, if someone is firing everything at once but not with grouping to fire like that, they could be firing with alphas. Same as if they were firing them separate, that could be chain fire. Sometimes this explains why a mech might have all same groupings, as the spectated player changed all the weapons, therefore there were pretty much all grouped to group 1. Hope I helped. ;)

No, I do not believe so, as all my 'Mechs have three weapon groups, yet I too experience this bug.

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I figured that weapon groupings when seen during speculating are actually all yours.

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 April 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

IE: showing everything in group 1

View Post101011, on 10 April 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

all my 'Mechs have three weapon groups

Something you aren't telling us about your weapon groups, lux? ;)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 10 April 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#11 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Some people use third-party software like the kind that comes with gaming keyboards to make macros. The macros make custom timings for weapons. This is handy for managing large amounts of dakka using a round-robin kind of configuration, something the built in chainfire is not advanced enough to do.

#12 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 April 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

When spectating you are not (usually) seeing the actual weapon groups - if I recall correctly that is a known bug

It isn't technically a bug as I see it since it is kind of pointless to send that information to the server, only the client needs to know what the key bindings are, no point in wasting space sending that information.

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

The thing is that most people don't have the exact same loadout you have. The only time that you see different groupings than all group 1 is when the person is running stock/near stock and this will result in the stock groupings. I believe this is how it is run, as I've seen someone with the same weaponry with the same groupings as I do (in same mech). I could be wrong though and it could be a bug.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I can agree here.

For example, in common with another player I was spectating, his missiles which were identical to mine were in group four. Two of out of his 4 medium pulse lasers (I had 2 were in group 3 same as mine). All of his other weapons were in group 1, which were all weapons I do not carry on my mech.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostThatBum42, on 10 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Some people use third-party software like the kind that comes with gaming keyboards to make macros. The macros make custom timings for weapons. This is handy for managing large amounts of dakka using a round-robin kind of configuration, something the built in chainfire is not advanced enough to do.

While is true, macros typically split every weapon up into an independent group.
Example, the triple AC/2s here.

Or this now impossible to use macro (it's severely punished with ghost heat).

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

I've observed this. Fact is, most of the people I spectate do not have the same variants as I do. Also, I make a habit of stripping all my mechs when not in use. And it seems our profile settings got recently wiped with the server migration or maybe it was DX11. I forget.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users