Fantasy Freakin' Mechwarrior!

5 replies to this topic

#1 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

So, for those who don't know, there's a community-run MW:O league called the Marik Civil War. The folks running the league have been keeping an excellent spreadsheet of stats for all of the pilots & units involved.

Given this amazing resource, I put together a Fantasy MechWarrior Rotisserie league for my unit that will run throughout the course of the MCW league.

Posted Image

If anybody else is interested in putting a league like this together, feel free to drop me a line and I'll make available all of the resources that I have.

Read on for more details, and visit us at www.blackstaralliance.com if you're interested in joining up with our unit.

So, for those who haven't seen it, the guys running the Marik Civil War have put together an excellent spreadsheet which details each individual pilot's stats for the entire MCW. So I was thinking it could be fun for us to have our own little fantasy league where, every two weeks when a new round of the tournament begins, we can each put together a team of 12 pilots and track their stats. For those who are familiar with Fantasy Sports, this will be a Rotisserie league (more details below).

What is Fantasy MechWarrior?
For those of us who sign up for the league, every two weeks each person will select a team of 12 pilots, and I will record the Kills, Assists, Damage, and Deaths for those pilots. The one among us who manages to put together the highest scoring team of pilots at the end of MCW will win.

How does a Rotisserie league work?
Lets just say that 10 of us decide to take part in this. At the start of each round of the MCW, the ten of us playing will each choose 12 pilots from the MCW to form our team. Points will be awarded for each team, for each statistic, corresponding to which "place" you finished in that particular stat. So if 10 of us play, the person with the highest total kills gets 10 points, second highest kills gets 9 points, third highest gets 8 points and so on.

Here's an example: Let's just say that FileTitan, Pancakes, and Misnomer are the only 3 people playing in the fantasy league. Let's say after two weeks of the tournament:

File's team scores a total of: 25 Kills, 50 Assists, 11,000 damage, and 13 Deaths.
Pancake's team scores: 22 Kills, 60 Assists, 9500 damage, and 10 Deaths.
Misnomer's team scores: 28 kills, 35 Assists, 10,500 damage, and 15 deaths.

In this example, with only 3 teams playing...
File would score 2 points of kills (having the second highest total), 2 points for Assists (having the second highest total), 3 points for damage (having the highest total) and 2 points for Deaths (having the second lowest total) for a total of 9 points.

Pancakes would score 1 point for kills (having the lowest total), 3 points for assists (having the highest total), 1 point for damage (having the lowest total) and 3 points for deaths (having the lowest total) for a total of 8 points.

Misnomer would score 3 points for Kills (having the highest total), 1 point for Assists (having the lowest total) 2 points for Damage (having the second highest total) and 1 point for Deaths (having the highest total) for a total of 7 points.

So File would be winning with 9 points, Pancakes would be in second place with 8, and Misnomer would be in third with 7.

Points are awarded on cumulative stats throughout the course of the tournament, so if further down the line pancakes had enough kills to put his season-total kills above Misnomer's, then Pancakes would move up and get 2 points for kills and Mis would move down and only get 1 - the points fluctuate from week to week.
In a ten-person league, the most points anybody could have is 40 (if they had the best stats in each of the 4 categories, they'd get 10 points for each one). The least points any player could have is 4 (1 point for having the lowest stats in each category).
Make sense? Any questions?

How do we select our teams?
You'll notice on the Google doc I linked above that each pilot has their own individual "Battle Value" which corresponds to how well they've performed so far. I'm thinking that each person involved in the fantasy league will get to choose up to 12 pilots whose total Battle Value adds up to 420 or less (which would be an average of 35 BV per pilot). Your teams total BV will never be able to be higher than 420. Pilot Battle Values will change over the course of the MCW, and we will go by the most recent BVs when selecting our teams.
So, at the start of each round of the MCW, the people who are playing will take a look at the current seasonal stats, and put together a team of no more than 12 pilots whose combined BV is no more than 420. You'll be able to select new pilots every 2-week period, as each new round of the MCW begins.
More details:

- Each fantasy team may have no more than 12 pilots, but you do not need to have 12 pilots. One player might choose to take 12 mediocre pilots, whereas another might want just 9 really good pilots. So long as your total Battle Value is below 420, and you have no more than 12 pilots, it's fine.

- Pilots are not exclusive - if one of us chooses a particular pilot to be on his team, it does not mean that another player can't select that same pilot as well.

-We'll choose a new team of pilots at the start of each round of the MCW using the most recent seasonal Battle Value.

-Each player in the fantasy league will be required to send me their list of pilots by a certain cut-off date - probably by Midnight on the Mondays following the "initiative" meetings. (for example, the MCW just had an initiative meeting last night to figure out who is attacking who - so were this fantasy league to be going on right now, I would need each team's roster by midnight tonight. Then, in two weeks, each player would send me a new roster.

-If a player fails to submit a new roster by the cutoff date, they'll be forced to use the same roster they had in the round before. If fluctuations in BV would cause that roster to have a total BV higher than 420, I will remove pilots from the roster until the BV is below 420.

- Tie-breaker: Each two-week period players will earn "tie-breaker" points for any of their allotted 420 BV that they don't use. If you put together a team whose BV only totals 417.5, you'll get 2.5 "tie-breaker" points. These points will only be used in the event that two or more pilots are tied for the lead at the end of the season.

- Special note: If you want to have a pilot on your roster who doesn't have a Round 1 Battle Value yet (for instance, Dashwood Fox, as he didn't play in the Round 1 games), I'm going to use the pilot's battle value from the entire Trial of Position, plus 10% (because BVs are higher now than they were in the ToP, as they now count things like capping and spotting assists).

So, for instance, Dashwood's ToP Battle Value was 43.26, so if anybody wants him on their team now I'll assign him a temporary BV of 47.58 (43.26 + 4.32) until he has an actual established BV later in the tournament.

Why do this?
Because it would be awesome, and I'll provide a $25 Steam credit to the winner at the end of the MCW season.

So who's interested?
If you want to take part, you have to let me know ASAP. To limit the amount of work this will be for me, I'm going to have to put a cap on the number of teams (probably around 15 or so), so let me know if you want in.
This is not limited to Ghost Company members, and you do not need to be competing in the MCW to take part.

Edited by DEMAX51, 09 April 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

You realize that you can take in people into your rooster without enlisting them into your unit? Even if that somewhat screws with the Team-tier results. For instance BSK-Warden got Wispsy and Adi for MCW.

#3 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostEglar, on 09 April 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

You realize that you can take in people into your rooster without enlisting them into your unit? Even if that somewhat screws with the Team-tier results. For instance BSK-Warden got Wispsy and Adi for MCW.

MCW teams and tiers have little to do with our fantasy rosters. You can take any combination of pilots so long as their total Battle Value doesn't excede 420pts. We're focused more on the individual pilots' performance than anything else, and our fantasy league has no actual impact on the MCW itself.

But maybe I misunderstand your concern?

Edited by DEMAX51, 09 April 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

This is the true meta game! -_-

#5 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

I tried to sign up but couldn't get past the security code, no matter how many times I tried. :)

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 April 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I tried to sign up but couldn't get past the security code, no matter how many times I tried. :)

I'm sorry man, this particular league is only for BlackStar Alliance members (and special guest QueenBlade, who's keeping the stats for the MCW).

I just decided to throw it on the forums because:

A. I think it's pretty cool, and kinda wanted to show it off.

B. I've heard other people express interest in something like this, and I thought this might help them get their own leagues off the ground.

If you're interested in putting your own league together though, I'll be happy to help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users