Groups

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonfett

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hey all, I had been reading in various places that people can opt to group up, and someone said something about private and public servers? How can I even begin to find another server to play on or how to group up with other people?

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

If you have friends who play, you can group up via the Social button in your MWO client. Unfortunately there is no in-game means of meeting new people (such as a lobby, etc.) to group up with.

Private matches are coming with the Launch module, supposedly coming up in a few weeks. Those should be available via the MWO Client. Unforunately you'll actually have to put your own groups together for private matches. If you're looking for a group of players to drop with, I suggest checking out the recuitment forum:

http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/

Edited by LauLiao, 14 April 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Private/public servers are not added to the game yet. Presumably there will be areas on th forum to discuss private matches when they become available.

you can still group up with players in the current infrastructure, either groups of 2-4 or groups of 12 (for the separate 12-vs-12 queue). You can find people to group up with via the forum or 3rd party sites such as NGNG or on the forum http://mwomercs.com/...s-inner-sphere/ http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/ http://mwomercs.com/...factions-clans/

Here is an old thread about how to group up with players, how to install TS3, etc. http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/

NGNG is a great place to meet players, you can visit the NGNG Teamspeak or any of several other public teamspeak servers to find players to join up with ;)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 14 April 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostDragonfett, on 14 April 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Hey all, I had been reading in various places that people can opt to group up, and someone said something about private and public servers? How can I even begin to find another server to play on or how to group up with other people?

The two above already answered your main question.

Curious about private and public matches (not servers, matches) then check here for the Lead Designer's latest post on it (made today).

I may be violently opposed to 3/3/3/3, (the 3 assaults, 3 heavies, 3 mediums, 3 lights "rule" being brewed up. It makes it impossible to be "Liao", which do not field assaults in this time line. It also takes even more away from strategy, tactics, role warfare, etc).

But as it happens for the last week I was talking about a group-only queue in the feedback threads with other players and I'm glad to see that it is in the works. I'm really looking forward to that!

Edited by Koniving, 14 April 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Dragonfett

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

The two above already answered your main question.

Curious about private and public matches (not servers, matches) then check here for the Lead Designer's latest post on it (made today).

I may be violently opposed to 3/3/3/3, (the 3 assaults, 3 heavies, 3 mediums, 3 lights "rule" being brewed up. It makes it impossible to be "Liao", which do not field assaults in this time line. It also takes even more away from strategy, tactics, role warfare, etc).

But as it happens for the last week I was talking about a group-only queue in the feedback threads with other players and I'm glad to see that it is in the works. I'm really looking forward to that!

Sounds like to me like the 3/3/3/3 should be an option you can select for the type of match you want to be in, not forced on someone. Also I think that if they DO force it, they should allow us to select what mechs we use at the que screen because that will when we know what slots are open or closed.

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

When people talk about private/public servers, they are referring to Teamspeak servers.

Teamspeak is a simple voice chat client that is very easy to use and it is the main method of communication between groups of players that are dropping together. You can find the list of public servers here

I play on the Davion public server, PM me if you have trouble logging into it (we don't have a password, so it should be simple)

#7 Dragonfett

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Is Teamspeak a free service?

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostDragonfett, on 14 April 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Sounds like to me like the 3/3/3/3 should be an option you can select for the type of match you want to be in, not forced on someone. Also I think that if they DO force it, they should allow us to select what mechs we use at the que screen because that will when we know what slots are open or closed.

It will find you a match where that slot is open. If in a group, you obviously can't go "4" of one class of mech, and it'll put you into a match where the other slots are filled up by random players. It's not a bad solution. It really isn't. Combined with "matching tonnages" of each class it ensures that two teams are always 'even'.

Spoiler

View PostDragonfett, on 14 April 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Is Teamspeak a free service?

To use it, yes. To have your own server, no. But any group you play with already has their own.
Get "Teamspeak 3"
http://www.teamspeak.com/

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

It makes it impossible to be "Liao", which do not field assaults in this time line.

To my knowledge they did - just not in any significant numbers.

IE: an average of 10% of any factions total forces were assaults
~5% for Liao (15 for Steiner - with an average of ~20-30% heavy mechs for most and 40% for Steiner)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 15 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

To my knowledge they did - just not in any significant numbers.

IE: an average of 10% of any factions total forces were assaults
~5% for Liao (15 for Steiner - with an average of ~20-30% heavy mechs for most and 40% for Steiner)

Between 3,000 and 3050, they literally lost the ability to produce assault and heavy mechs for quite some time. The Cataphract was a hodge-podge of a crap load of parts of medium mechs and only later managed into its own assembly lines. Aside from it, any heavies or assaults were mechs they already had and constantly had to repair.

One of Liao's traits is recycling old mechs again and again and again and again and again and again. :)

Edited by Koniving, 15 April 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 April 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Between 3,000 and 3050, they literally lost the ability to produce assault and heavy mechs for quite some time.

Note: doesn't mean they didn't have or use any - just that they did not produce their own. :)

Those numbers came from (if I recall correctly) either one of the 3025 or 3050 books. :lol:
(the PDF is on my other PC - which has gone as haywire as the one I just fixed :P)

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Oh I'm aware. But they could never furnish 3 assaults and 3 heavies to every field. It was mostly lights and mediums. And tanks.

#13 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

At least *something* to look forward to.

Edited by White Bear 84, 15 April 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 April 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

It was mostly lights and mediums.

And here I kept thinking it was lights (raven!) and heavies (Catapult/phract) :)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users